Start by marking “A Time To Dance (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Time To Dance (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #3)

A Time To Dance (Virginia's Civil War Diary #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  81 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In her third and final diary, by Mary Pope Osborne, Ginny continues to face rapidly changing times in the aftermath of the Civil War.

Virginia Dickens continues to chronicle the aftermath of the Civil War, as she and her family move their lives from Washington, D.C. to New York City. Throughout the times of difficulty and joy, Ginny is always courageous and sweet.
Published August 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about A Time To Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time To Dance

Sherrie
Nov 10, 2011 Sherrie rated it it was amazing
Ever wonder what happened after the Civil War is over? How people get on with their lives? This book is all about that. Ginny is telling the story through her diary. Ginny's father is having a hard time finding a job and Ginny thinks she can get a job to help. She does find a job as a dresser in the theater. She really likes this job and loves the theater. She wants to meet Edmond Booth, he's the brother of John Wilkes Booth, the man that shot President Lincoln. He is the greatest actor of their ...more
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Eleven-year-old Virginia Dickens and her family have left Washington, D.C. shortly after the end of the Civil War to move to New York City. While her father tries to find work as a violinist and her brother writes for a newspaper, Virginia spends her days on lessons and helping care for her baby nephew as her brother's wife recovers from the baby's birth. When her brother takes her to a play, Virginia becomes interested in the world of the theater, and soon finds a job working behind the scenes. ...more
Natalie
Oct 12, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
I read this book in one day, and I was totally addicted to it! I love the way this series is written, and I think Osobrne did a great job with this book. The book was never boring, and the plot kept moving along, and there was barely any "fat" that I found. I know this is moer of a kids book, but I'll still read it even though I'm a teenager, and maybe even when I'm older. I love the way Ms. Osborne makes the history come alive in this series.
Kassy
Jun 06, 2016 Kassy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the book anyway because the book is very interesting to me.They move to New York City and try to having a better life.First,they didn't really have better life.But,her brother had a good job.Her father didn't find a job as a musician,so he try to teach music at home.After that,her father get a job as an musical.Herself had a job as an dresser at a theater.Her father was married again because her mother was died when she was born.Her stepmother was nice to her.At last,she act a ...more
Sarah Crawford
Feb 01, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This covers the post-civil war time when Virginia and her family move to New York. Her father tries to find work as a violinist, but such jobs are hard to come buy in the city, so he ends up giving lessons at their home.

Virginia herself likes plays, and gets to see one with Edwin Booth, John Wilkes Booth's brother. She ends up writing him and also manages to get a job working backstage, helping actresses with their costume changes.

It's a light story, not a major historical work, but it's still
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly added it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Leslee Robinson
Apr 12, 2009 Leslee Robinson rated it it was ok
This book was about a young girl living in NY just after the Civil War. The book is in diary format and tells of her experiences. She gets a job in a theater and discovers her love for it. It kind of has a hard time flowing from one diary entry to the next. it wasn't very entertaining for me. I think that younger readers would like it, and it gives a taste of history.
Terri
Jan 21, 2013 Terri rated it liked it
I don't know. It wasn't awesome or great. It starts off a little jarring especially considering when you leave the 2nd book Virginia is in Washington, D.C. and this one opens with them moving into a house in New York City and it takes awhile for the reason they are moving to New York to be shared. The storyline didn't seem to make a lot of forward progress here.
Stephanie Smith
Sep 02, 2016 Stephanie Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice progression and wrapped up the story very nicely
Karissa
Karissa rated it really liked it
May 30, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2009
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Angela Boland
Angela Boland rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Sarah Oslick
Sarah Oslick rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Scout
Scout rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2012
Sarah Scarlett
Sarah Scarlett rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2015
Isabel
Isabel rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2011
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2015
Erin Novak
Erin Novak rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2012
Zmeg4c2
Zmeg4c2 rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Patrice
Dec 26, 2011 Patrice rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of war stories.
GabbieDewolfe
GabbieDewolfe rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Neena Hingorani
Neena Hingorani rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2010
Jennifer Wallis
Jennifer Wallis rated it it was ok
May 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Season of Promise (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #3)
  • When Freedom Comes
  • An American Spring: Sofia's Immigrant Diary (My America, #3)
  • As Far As I Can See (My America: Meg's Prairie Diary, #1)
  • Freedom's Wings (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #1)
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal Of Brian Doyle: Greenhorn on an Alaskan Whaling Ship, The Florence, 1874 (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal Of Otto Peltonen, A Finnish Immigrant (My Name Is America)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • Addy's Little Brother
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Virginia's Civil War Diary (3 books)
  • My Brother's Keeper (My America: Virginia's Civil War Diary, #1)
  • After the Rain: Virginia's Civil War Diary (My America: #2)