Start by marking “The 106 Common Mistakes Homebuyers Make (and How to Avoid Them)” as Want to Read:
The 106 Common Mistakes Homebuyers Make (and How to Avoid Them)

The 106 Common Mistakes Homebuyers Make (and How to Avoid Them)

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Offers information for avoiding the pitfalls of house buying. This guide, by a real estate expert, presents the nuts-and-bolts of the home buying process and the 106 common mistakes people make during it. It provides information on writing a purchase contract and the ins and outs of home buying Web surfing.
Published January 18th 2002 by John Wiley & Sons (first published March 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The 106 Common Mistakes Homebuyers Make, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 106 Common Mistakes Homebuyers Make

Robert Beveridge
Gary Eldred, The 106 Common Mistakes Home Buyers Make (Wiley, 2002)

Reading this on the heels of Ilyce Glink's book may not have been a good idea, or it may have been a great one. I'm not sure yet. The two mostly cover the same ground, though Eldred never even brings up the possibility of buying a home without a realtor (Glink glosses over it), and Eldred does get into a little more detail about a few things. He also has a more cynical attitude towards the subject than Glink, but then looking at
Laughably outdated, it nevertheless contains many pearls of wisdom where it avoids topics like appreciation, economics, and speculation. One cringes each time the author admonishes his reader to ignore yet another flurry of media panic about an impending housing collapse. The book was published in 2005. Oops.

Still, negotiating advice, real-life travails of buyers, and sound logic regarding the financial implications of continued renting versus mediocre home-buying make this book worth a skim. Tr
Very outdated. Even with that in mind, the advice seems to benefit only the Realtor. "Borrow more than you can afford, because you will increase income every year." If you still have a job. Just a few of the poorer suggestions include: over-borrowing, going for adjustable rates, and no-money down payments. There seems to be no end to the bad choices perpetuated in this book.
Ellen C
Housing Crisis meet your maker. I couldn't take any of the advice seriously after I read that he recommended an adjustable rate mortgage, even if you couldn't afford for it to go up, and that we should all borrow more than we can afford and depend on our incomes going up. I need a book written for todays housing market. Things are considerably different now days.
Tony Canas
Was instrumental in giving me a good idea of how to look at houses and not screw up our home purchase. It worked out great for us.
Apr 08, 2007 Jay rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone interested in not making mistakes
The bookmark is placed at mistake 6 so this may be a partial read for me. I do feel I made no mistakes when buying this house.
Ryan Broedlin
Just ok. Outdated a bit now but definitely taught me some things I would not have otherwise thought of.
Jennifer Payne
The 106 Common Mistakes Homebuyers Make (& How to Avoid Them), 2nd Edition by Gary W. Eldred (1998)
Aug 13, 2009 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: real estate newbies
Excellent resource.
I hate "How To" books that forget to tell you "how to." This is a user-friendly collection of advice and real life stories of "how to" and, more importantly, "how not to." It's topics cover everything from why buying is better than renting, to tips for writing purchase offers. The appendix lists lots of helpful internet resources. But I think you must read it twice (and take notes!) to make sure you didn't miss a juicy tidbit.
Laurel Bousfield
Laurel Bousfield marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Jared Mckeown
Jared Mckeown marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Kyle marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Tommy marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Robh marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Douglas Eu
Douglas Eu marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Kelly added it
Dec 06, 2014
Ron marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Saraj marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014