Start by marking “Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)” as Want to Read:
Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)

Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower #6)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  92,046 Ratings  ·  2,335 Reviews
Roland Deschain, gunslinger, hero, continues his perilous adventures in search of the key to the quest that will define his life. Roland's loyal followers Jake, Father Callahan and Oy set out to break Susannah's date with destiny in New York.
Published 2005 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Song of Susannah, please sign up.

Kemper
“Would’ee speak a word of prayer first, Roland? To whatever God thee holds?”

“I hold to no God,” Roland said. “I hold to the Tower and won’t pray to that.”

Damn, I love that line. It so perfectly sums up Roland, his quest to find the Tower, what it’s cost him, and how he knows he isn’t done paying yet.

For years, it seemed like Dark Tower had been walking in aimless circles during the long breaks between the third, fourth and fifth books. We knew that King had finished the final three volumes after
Kara
Feb 26, 2008 Kara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story wasn't bad, some of the new characters were interesting, but I cannot give it a higher rating because of the author himself.

Stephen King has indulged in the ULTIMATE form of ego stroking in this volume and it pissed me off. The plot could've been structured some other way to avoid what he's doing right now - you *can* adjust plot, much as it sometimes hurts to do so - and the fact that he went ahead and wrote what he wrote is annoying and... well, gross. It's gross.

I had hoped, by the
Dan Schwent
The 2011 re-read:
Susanna/Mia uses Black Thirteen and flees to New York to have her baby. Roland, Eddie, Jake, and Callahan get the Manni to open the Unfound Door and end up in the wrong places. Can Roland and Eddie convince Calvin Tower to sell them the lot where the Rose grows? Can Jake and Callahan find Susannah before she has her baby?

Song of Susannah was my least favorite book in the Dark Tower series the first time through. Susannah has never been my favorite character in the Dark Tower sag
Jeff
Upon coming to, Stephen King registered a mixed expression of fear, anger and puzzlement. Perhaps being bound and gagged had something to do with it. His face was contorted and purple and his hair was standing up with much of it covering his forehead and bulging eyes.

The tall, ungainly gunslinger was standing over him, concerned and apologetic.

“Sorry that I hit ya, Sai. If I take off the duct tape, will ya promise that ya won’t scream?”

King vigorously nodded.

“You was running away and shoutin’ an
Markus
Roland was looking fixedly at the already diminishing flickers of lightning in the east, where the land of Thunderclap waited for them, and the Court of the Crimson King, and, at the end of End-World, the Dark Tower itself.

Extraordinary! I almost cannot wait for the ending, no matter how controversial.

Full review to come.

#7 The Dark Tower
Bookwraiths
Sep 21, 2013 Bookwraiths rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm going to sit down and write reviews on the whole Dark Tower series after I finish, but I just have to say these books are becoming more and more tiresome. It just seems as if King has lost the vision of Roland the Gunslinger, so he - in order to have something to write about - constantly tinkers with the lore, changes history around, blames things on this multi-timestream concept, or spends whole novels describing an event merely to snap his fingers and change everything the next book so as ...more
Stepheny

3.5

Approximately 800 years ago I began a quest; a quest to take some much-loved friends of mine on a journey like no other. I enjoy doing things like this. I enjoy people reading books that I love so much I am willing to bludgeon them with said books until they agree to read them.

Luckily, with the Gunslinger I did not need to do too much convincing. That crazy MahFah Jeff joined on willingly enough with Delee and I.

(Little did he know, he’d be spending the rest of his pitiful life in my basem
Richard
Apr 07, 2015 Richard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, western, sci-fi
7/10

Well played Mr. King, well played. Very clever of you to lower my expectations going into the final book with this less than stellar attempt. Clever indeed. Now I’m not going into the final book with my expectations set at “best series finale ever!” and more hoping for “nicely wraps up the series”.

Whilst not the strongest in the series (possibly the weakest, if you can really call it weak) this was still an exciting read in places. Certain parts of the story actually were really good and mad
Kathryn
I just finished Song of Susannah, and it's ending has made me want to immediately dive right into the last book of The Dark Tower series, The Dark Tower. For the past few weeks while I've been reading SoS, I've really been eager to find out if Roland makes it to The Tower. Now, I'm a little sad to be starting the last book, the final journey.

I give SoS four stars. For me, it was a great installment, no doubt, to the series. However, I can't give it the extra star to make it a five star installm
Jessica Warland
Apr 23, 2017 Jessica Warland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. A lot of people dislike vol. 6 of The Dark Tower novels but I really liked this! No matter how meta it got, I still couldn't put it down. Really fantastic. I can't honestly review it because anything I say could be construed as a spoiler, but if you're reading the novels - this is a good one. Has more of a The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands feel to it (coincidentally, my favourites in the series so far).
Stacey
Dec 21, 2008 Stacey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed this series immensely, all the way up until this book. Now I am reading the last one just to see if he can straighten out the mess he made here. What was he thinking? This is the ultimate in mental masturbation an author can produce. I liked the parts Eddie and Roland right up until they left Tower, and I kind of liked the bits with Jake, but the rest? Crap. It's crap!

I know authors of serials sometimes put themselves in the story (Clive Cussler comes to mind,) but it's usually don
Wilier
Viajes inter-dimensionales al mejor estilo de Stephen King sin spoilers

Abrí este libro con las expectativas mas bajas que haya tenido con libro de Stephen King alguno, debido a las malas criticas que ha tenido no solo de la gente experimentada sino también del publico común como yo, la mayoría coincidían en que este es el punto mas bajo de toda la saga y pues dejen que les diga que me ha gustado mucho, si es ese el caso el punto mas bajo de toda la saga debería de ser lobos del calla.

En este lib
C.W.
Dec 29, 2014 C.W. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't describe how happy certain events in this one has made me. It's SO good. I never expected early on that it'd go in this direction, and I love it. This literally could've only ever been written by Stephen King, and within the exact time frame that he wrote it in. There are still so many ways he could take this, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out in the next one. If you've just begun this series, or are thinking about starting it - DO IT AND KEEP GOING! Looking back, the earlier ...more
taarak
Apr 16, 2007 taarak rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi and Fantasy Buffs
Steven King's magnum opus. I've given a short review of all the books below. Based largely on the strengths of books 1, 2 and 4, I rate the whole series of seven books a three.

On "THE GUNSLINGER" His first book in a very long series starts out well enough.

On "THE DRAWING OF THE THREE" Gotta chuk!? Gotta up-chuk!? Okay, not so bad but not as good as the first.

On "THE WASTELANDS" The series improves with fast-paced, difficult to follow forays into alternate realities.

On "WIZARD AND GLASS" The best
Emma
May 05, 2017 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed how King wrote himself into the story. Also enjoyed the dialogue between Mia and Susannah. My heart was in my mouth for Oy a couple of times and that scene where Jake has to leave him, the tears...oh my! Stephen King, you naughty man playing with me like that!
This volume did feel a little like filler for the final instalment but that's ok because I enjoyed the ride. Have a lot of questions that need answering before the end of this series. I'm not sure whether they'll all be answe
Chris_P
Jun 27, 2015 Chris_P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Re-read September 2016

In Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower goes meta. King suddenly puts himself in the story and becomes a character that plays a major part in the Ka-tet's journey. As for the main plot, not much is happening. It was like, for the number of pages, the story could have moved a bit more. What I personally felt was the major point of this installment, was King's involvement. By using himself in the story, King not only takes his work to a whole other level writing-wise, but he also
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Juggling between 3.5 or 4 since there have been so many deux ex machina shit going on lately. Despite it all though, I was entertained.
Sesana
Jan 17, 2014 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
Compared to other Dark Tower books, the pace of this one is practically blistering. And yet it's also true that this is basically 500+ pages (or 12+ hours, if you prefer) of exposition for the final book. There are very few writers that can do that much exposition, end with little resolved, and yet leave me basically satisfied, except for a need to go on. Not quite sure how King managed that.

I also want to talk about what I think will probably be the single greatest sticking point for most reade
Franco  Santos
Apr 22, 2014 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Para muchos el peor de la saga. A mí me gustó mucho y no me parece el peor. Es, para mí, uno de los tomos más importantes de la serie. En este se revelan muchas cosas que esclarecen un poco el misterio que gira en torno a la Torre Oscura y todo se va preparando para su final.
Steph // bookplaits
Apr 23, 2017 Steph // bookplaits rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Really enjoyed this one, even though it's confusing at points (though I've found a lot of the Dark Tower books confusing and I think I'll enjoy rereading them in the future!). Moving on to the final book next... :O
F.R.
Oct 09, 2013 F.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does Stephen King writing himself into the penultimate episode of The Dark Tower make it more or less epic? Mid-way through Roland and Eddie find themselves in Stephen King’s 1977 home where they chat with the author himself. But where does this take us? When Martin Amis does it, it can seem like the height of solipsism, an author’s attempt to wank slowly and grandly in public. And yet, the substance of this visit, and King’s appearance, brings together all of King’s other books – to a lesser or ...more
Justin K.
Jan 08, 2017 Justin K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The journal entries at the end of the book made the rest of it worthwhile! Definitely not my favorite in the series. I didn't understand the plot of the author putting himself in the story at first, but it did grow on me. I am excited to finish the series with the final book!
Stephen
4.5 TO 5.0 stars. The Dark Tower series is one of the best fantasy series of ALL TIME. Even if you don't like Stephen King, I think you will love this series. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!

Nominee: Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel (2005)
Gorgona Grim
Oct 14, 2016 Gorgona Grim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-precious
"Suzanina pesma" je definitivno deo serijala koji je prevazišao moja očekivanja i prijatno me je iznenadio, skoro pa oduševio. Ujedno, ovo je knjiga koju sam pročitala sa najviše pažnje i koja mi je bila neobično čitljiva. Neobično, zato što mi u nemalom broju slučajeva Kingove knjige teško padnu.

Od "Pustara" naovamo (da pribeležim - "Pustih zemalja") pratili smo ka-tet (view spoiler), spoznavaj
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Being one of my favorites of the series, it’s ironic since Susannah is my least favorite character. This is a type of lead-in book to the last one, the big bang finale we all feel is coming book. The book may not solve many riddles of the series but it’s still exciting. All kinds of unsettling things go down, and the story is just fascinating urgency builds and stakes heat up.

There are so many mixed reactions on King inserting himself (or a version of himself anyway) into his books. Some call it
Kandice
Sep 13, 2009 Kandice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am leaving my rating at five stars because I really believe his writing deserves it. Having said that, this is my least favorite of the series. I used to think The Gunslinger was the hardest to love. Maybe it's easier now because I've read it a few times, already love Roland, and know what the hell is up. THIS one though...I just don't like the Ka-tet separated after we've bled with them and gone through so much to get them together.

I don't want to get spoiler-ish, but each page (or in this ca
seak
Jul 14, 2009 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2016
Not my favorite in the series but not nearly as bad as I'd been lead to believe. And still better than The Gunslinger, book 1. More review to come ...
  • The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Journey Begins
  • Blaze
  • The Stand: The Night Has Come
  • Toll the Hounds (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
  • Necroscope: Resurgence, The Lost Years Volume II (Necroscope, #10)
  • The Face
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Sacrament
  • Night Visions 5
  • Legends
  • The Throat
More about Stephen King...

The Dark Tower (7 books)
  • The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
  • The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

“Anger is the most useless emotion," Henchick intoned, "destructive to the mind and hurtful to the heart.” 54 likes
“In the Land of Memory the time is always Now.
In the Kingdom of Ago, the clocks tick... but their hands never move.
There is an Unfound Door
(O lost)
and memory is the key which opens it.”
41 likes