3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  15 reviews
If youve been dying for a great read on a tantalizingly terminal topic, The Pocket Book of Death has your number. In this deliciously dark volumeoh-so-appropriately shaped like a tombstoneyoull find hundreds of fatal factoids about death and dying, on everything from bizarre funeral rites and rituals from cultures across the world to how many American presidents have died...more
Published October 1st 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published March 27th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Book of Death. Illustrated by Rob Denbleyker, Dave McElfatrick, Kris Wilson

Samra
really fun and interesting. love that the illustrations are by the guys from Cyanide and Happiness.
Jeni
Death is a serious business and this book is death funny.
Filled with facts, information, famous stories and tidbits it will keep you laughing.
Bound in a grave stone complete with blood lettering you pick it up ready for a fun read. Read it at home where you can laugh out loud or on a commute and what the looks on other commuters faces. Great for lightening the mood.
Angie
I work with a funny, yet devilishly cunning lady who has this fascination with death. I think everyone is curious, even a little, about the end process. I do work at a nursing home and naturally the subject of death comes up, sadly. This book really isn't sad, it's more informative about famous people's deaths, last suppers for guys on death row, death rituals of various tribes, etc. It was interesting, but I'm okay with never reading about death again. I'm a pretty happy person and would rather...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
This is a charming little book filled with funny anecdotes, quotes, illustrations and facts about the ultimate rite of passage we all experience. It's perfect for those quirky, weird people like myself who enjoys macabre humour, and has made me think hard about the way in which I (don't) want to die and what will (not) be done with my (hopefully) lifeless corpse.
Felicia
Jun 13, 2010 Felicia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in death, cyanide and happiness fans, curious minds.
Very interesting little book. Fans of cyanide and happiness will probably get a kick out of this book since the illustrators of cyanide and happiness illustrate the book. From the humorous drawings to the very fascinating look on death I give it 4 stars... would have given it a fifth if it was just a little longer
Desiree Kern
This book is a very fast read (took me all of an hour to get through it) but it's worth the hour. It's funny, and has a lot of information that's good for bringing up at parties as random useless knowledge like Oscar Wilde's last words "I am in a duel to the death with the wallpaper. One of us has to go."
Sandra Strange
This strange little book, shaped like a tombstone, with its primitively drawn illustrations, details everything you can ever consider to be connected to deathm concentrating on causes, both common and wierd.It's readable, magazine format includes lots of fast facts, sidebars and irreverence.
Scarlett B
How do I put this delicately... this book is better suited to be a toilet-side book than a novel you sit down and read cover to cover.
That said, it's great for what it is- a series of short factoids and anecdotes about death. It's a valued addition to my little collection of morbid books!
Jesse Snyder
May 01, 2013 Jesse Snyder rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone that likes random facts, or has a dark sense of humor.
A really amusing look at past and current death culture, and includes interesting nuggets like how to make a shrunken head, where do go to have your remains made into a diamond, the most popular places to die, and more. Really fun in a macabre way.
Adriane
Sep 03, 2011 Adriane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: trivia buffs, anyone remotely morbid.
It was a really cute look at death, with lots of trivia and info on the various aspects of death. I would recommend this as a quick read, or for any trivia buffs.
Allison
I'm studying to be a funeral director an this book sits by my toilet. It's perfect for those 5 minute reads!
Jennifer Patrick
Amusing read for any morbid soul. I especially liked the connect the dots of the black plague.
Kelly
Full of interesting trivia about death. I recommend that you take a look!
Alesia
Macabre, droll & amusing facts about various facets of The Big "D".
Casey
Great for bathroom reading!!
Bluerosegirl
Bluerosegirl marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Rahul Ganju
Rahul Ganju marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Gifty
Gifty marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014