Start by marking “Murderers Prefer Blondes (A Paige Turner Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Murderers Prefer Blondes (A Paige Turner Mystery #1)

Murderers Prefer Blondes (A Paige Turner Mystery #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  284 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A feisty young widow with Brenda Starr bravado and a fixation with following in Agatha Christie's footsteps, Paige wants to pen a memorable mystery. But first she must solve the murder of a 24-year-old beauty queen.
Published July 1st 2003 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Murderers Prefer Blondes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murderers Prefer Blondes

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha ChristieChocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeA is for Alibi by Sue Grafton
Cozy Mystery Series
223rd out of 680 books — 1,818 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeMurder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
Best Cozy Mystery Series
359th out of 1,354 books — 1,478 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
The Good: Paige and her neighbor Abby are fun characters to read. There's some decent humor mixed in with a great 1950's setting. The author does a great job setting the mood and tone of the time for working women. A light, easy read.

The Bad: The mystery was sort of obvious once readers were introduced to the possible suspects. While I enjoyed the humorous tone, I actually found myself wishing things in the book were viewed a little more seriously. There was a flippant feeling that took away fro
Thezoo232
Mar 02, 2016 Thezoo232 rated it really liked it
This book is fun & quirky. My 2nd time reading it actually. I came across the 'Paige Turner' series again while just searching book titles and thought I'd start with the first one again since its been 10 years & I already had it. I'll definitely try more. The author writes a clever strong woman character 'detective' type during the 1950s - when women had "their place" in society - someone you root for; makes easy fun reads. Very entertaining!
Linda
Jul 29, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
This Paige Turner mystery is a real page turner! (sorry I couldn't resist) This book moved along at a good pace and we got a good introduction to the characters. I love how real Paige seems. At times there did seem to be a lot of other characters to try and keep track of but this was very well done.
Cheryl
Apr 28, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This book is set in 1954 and written in first person. Paige Turner wants to write a mystery novel but she is too busy working at Daring Detective magazine. She finds the case of a 24 year woman who was killed and goes looking for a story to write amd a case to solve that will make her career or put her life in danger. It is written like the person is taking to you.
Abby
May 18, 2012 Abby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paige-turner
A secretary/coffe maker/proofreader/friend Paige Turner gets the ride of her life in this book. Did i mention she is a wanna-be mystery writer? Add that to the / line up there, cause she is. Trying to find out her murdered a beautiful blonde, Paige gets the help of her best friend Abby to help her solve the case. She see's many handsome man, but can she trust them. One of them may be the killer. Avoiding handsome homicide detective Dan Street who warned her about putting her nose into business, ...more
Perky Texan
Mar 20, 2016 Perky Texan rated it really liked it
Fun book. Good mystery with great character development. An enjoyable read.
Emily
Jul 31, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Closer to 3.5 stars but not enough to bump it up to 4. At times I was wholly invested in the '50s drama and the character of Paige. But then something would happen and it would take me out of it. The prologue and epilogue were nice enough, but felt somewhat 'info dump-y' for my liking. I do look forward to the relationship between Dan and Paige and how that's handled.
Nicole
Feb 09, 2011 Nicole rated it did not like it
I really, really wanted to like this book. I liked the idea of the 50s setting. However, I spent the whole book annoyed by Paige. I kept reading hoping I would begin to like her, but I never did. It is hard to recommend a book without a winning lead character. I felt like the book never fulfilled its potential.
Dennis Fischman
Aug 22, 2011 Dennis Fischman rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This must be a really simple mystery, because I don't usually know whodunit and today I figured this one out even with a cold in my head. The detective and her neighbor are good characters, though, and the author talks about some fairly serious social history with a sprightly manner that carried me along.
Christina
Jul 06, 2009 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-09
It took a while to get into this book and you can't immediately guess who the murder is. That's only because the suspects are introduced pretty late. There are lots of silly 50's references. For $2, not a bad buy!
Celinaresendez
Jul 08, 2009 Celinaresendez rated it really liked it
This is a new author for me and I enjoyed reading the first in her series. Definitely better than Diane Mott Davidson. I would put her in the same class as the flower shop and book shop mysteries.
Lisa
Oct 02, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
I enjoyed the glimpse at the fifties woman. I will probably read sequels, if I find them at the local used bookstore, but won't actively seek them out. I did laugh outloud once ot twice.
Kristen
Apr 18, 2008 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-cozy
This was introduced to me by another group read from the same group. It has a nice feel to it, since it go back in time to the 1940s. I hope to read more of this series in the future.
Ali
May 09, 2013 Ali rated it liked it
feels kind of long... but mostly entertaining... sometimes the 50s references are really well done and other times they're super heavy-handed
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Jul 21, 2008 Cindi (cheesygiraffe) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-read
Very cute cozy mystery set in the mid 1950s. I love Paige and her best friend Abby. A must read for cozy mystery lovers.
Melissa
Jun 08, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Recommended to Melissa by: Connie
Fun and a little silly. A great combination of period-piece and detective story.
Susan
May 11, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Another sequel to the Paige Turner books. I love this new series I am reading.
Kimberly
Aug 31, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Used it for research for my WIP. Loved the premise and time period.
sara
Apr 26, 2009 sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Not the most intriguing plot and the characters were flat.
Joy
May 11, 2009 Joy marked it as to-read
Looks like it might be fun...
Jess
Feb 21, 2011 Jess rated it it was ok
Meh, it was fine.
Christie Terry
Oct 22, 2009 Christie Terry rated it liked it
cute, easy read.
Jennifer Kellogg
Jennifer Kellogg marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Felicia Gardner
Felicia Gardner marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Kathleen L Donnelly
Kathleen L Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Randee
Randee marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Georgiann
Georgiann marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Madeline Pendergrass
Madeline Pendergrass marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Mandy Bulmer
Mandy Bulmer marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
  • Tutu Deadly (Jenny T. Partridge, #1)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • High Marks for Murder (Bellehaven House, #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • It's a Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod Murder (Murder a-Go-Go, #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Your Darlings (An Algonquin Round Table Mystery #1)
  • The Spice Box (The Spice Box, #1)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Uncorked (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Some Like It Hot-Buttered (Double Feature Mystery #1)
  • Scent to Her Grave (A Bath and Body Mystery, #1)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Death In Lacquer Red (Hilda Johansson, #1)
  • Crime Brûlée (A Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
  • A Bicycle Built For Murder (Manor House Mysteries, #1)
From the author's website:

Amanda Matetsky was a magazine editor and a volunteer literacy tutor before becoming a fiction writer. Her first novel, The Perfect Body, was published by HarperCollins in 1997 and won the NJRW Golden Leaf Award for Best First Book.

Murderers Prefer Blondes, the first entry in Amanda’s popular Paige Turner mystery series, was published by Berkley Prime Crime in 2003 and wa
More about Amanda Matetsky...

A Paige Turner Mystery (5 books)
  • Murder is a Girl's Best Friend (Paige Turner, #2)
  • How to Marry a Murderer (Paige Turner, #3)
  • Murder on a Hot Tin Roof (Paige Turner, #4)
  • Dial Me for Murder (Paige Turner, #5)