Start by marking “The Tale of Two Bad Mice ” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Two Bad Mice

The Tale of Two Bad Mice (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  4,127 ratings  ·  119 reviews
To celebrate Peter's birthday, Frederick Warne is publishing new editions of all 23 of Potter's original tales, which take the very first printings of Potter's works as their guide. The aim of these editions is to be as close as possible to Beatrix Potter's intentions while benefiting from modern printing and design techniques.

The colors and details of the watercolors in
Published September 16th 2002 by Warne (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Two Bad Mice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Two Bad Mice

First Term at Malory Towers by Enid BlytonUpper Fourth at Malory Towers by Enid BlytonIn the Fifth at Malory Towers by Enid BlytonFledgling by Mark A. CooperSecond Form at Malory Towers by Enid Blyton
Shunned by adults, Smashing good YA books
77th out of 230 books — 76 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
435th out of 3,421 books — 5,079 voters

More lists with this book...

Celebrity Death Match Special: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch versus The Tale of Two Bad Mice

"You see them often?" asked Hunca. Her tone was casual, but Tom immediately caught the edge in her voice.

"Who do you mean?" he said, pretending not to understand. It was a strategy that had worked before.

Hunca moved a step closer to the layout. "The Chinese," she breathed, unable to contain her excitement any longer as she gazed at the doll's-house. Her ample breasts rose and fell under the thin s
Paul Bryant

Lucinda, we know each other for years, but this is the first time you come to me for help. I don't remember the last time you invited me to your house for coffee...

What do you want of me? I'll give you anything you want... I ask for Justice. Make the two bad mice suffer as we suffer. How much shall we pay you?

So now you come to me and say Don Peter, you must give me justice. And you don't ask in respect or friendship. And you don't think to call me Bunfathe
Lisa Vegan
I don't remember this from when I was young but I probably had it read to me. I liked this quite a bit more than I expected. It's actually very funny, the mice are cute, the story is different, in a good way, and it works well from beginning to end. I love dollhouses but the mice feel frustration when they find that the food in the dollhouse isn't real. What happens makes for a good story that holds up well even though it was written over a century ago.
Tom Thumb and Hunca and Munca, the two bad mice, repaying for all they have stolen from the doll house.

This is good!
Helen (Helena/Nell)
Warning: this review is very considerably longer than the book under discussion.

I have no idea how old I was when I first read The Tale of Two Bad Mice. I only know it feels as familiar as family photographs. Every detail of it is so familiar that once I must have known it inside out, though I doubt I’ve read it for half a century.

I imagine it would have first been read to me, and then I would have read it myself, and I was an early reader, so maybe at about four years old I learned that mice w
When Tom Thumb and his wife Hunca Munca (what were her parents thinking?) break into Lucinda and Jane's delightfully furnished home, they go on a rampage through the house, destroying the fake food, climbing the chimney, and stealing anything that will fit through their own front door. When the 'single' ladies return from an afternoon's perambulation they can only look on in mute horror at the devastation that awaits them. The mice have the gall to return later and leave a token sixpence to pay ...more
Maria Carmo
Reading Beatrix Potter because I saw the movie about her and was delighted by her sensible delicacy and mixture of imagination and pragmatism.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 2 February 2015.
Хахаха, Хунка Мунка, хаха, миличките гладни и излъгани мишлета... Сладурска история :)
Astri Nardi (Asuka Mai)
*Review ini diikut sertakan dalam 13 Reading Children & YA Literature

After i read this book, i am glad that this book is very entertaining and this one of the Great books by Beatrix Potter.
Who dont know Beatrix Potter, she was born in 1866 and died in 1943.
She is one of the most notabke authirs of Children's literature.
Fairy tales, those created by her about animals, which were self-illustrated with gracefuk and tender water colors, are notable for delicate lyricism and soft humour.
She is a
I did like this one - very entertaining! Lucinda and Jane are two dolls livilng in a fancy dolls house. Tom Thumb and his wife Hunca Munca are two mice living behind the skirting board. Lucinda and Jane get taken on a walk, and Tom Thumb and Hunca Munca, being bad mice, break into their house. They are delighted to see a table spread with food, and sit themselves down, ready for a feast.

Alas, they don't realise it's fake food and just think the gammon is very tough when they have difficulty cut
Robin Thomas
Oh no, I've fallen behind in my reading!
This book may be considered cheating.
But I did enjoy it and love the illustrations.
So, now I have one more book to read to meet
my challenge.
Sebenarnya lucu juga dua tikus itu kecewa dengan apa yang mereka temukan di rumah boneka. Kemarahan sesaat karena gagal 'makan enak' membuat mereka melakukan hal-hal buruk. Namun, kata penulis, sebenarnya mereka tidak terlalu nakal. Pada akhirnya mereka 'membayar' kekacauan yang mereka buat. Meski saya pribadi lebih suka kalau mereka meminta maaf secara langsung.

Tadinya saya berpikir--karena awalnya menceritakan dua boneka penghuni rumah itu--bahwa boneka itu memiliki sisi yang menarik. Tetapi s
Dad finally finished reading the tale of two bad mice to me.
Biena (The Library Mistress)
They aren't bad mice after all. Hahaha

I still hate rodents. >.<
This is so morbidly funny that I think it has thrown me into an existential crisis about doll house food. The mice can use the furniture and kitchen utensils, they can wear the clothing, but they can't eat the fake food. The little girl who plays with the dolls uses a policeman doll to confront the mice about their theft, and the mice sort of recognize his authority. It gives me such a whimsical feeling about how far belief can stretch in childhood games.
Jeremy (Inklingstime)
I've read quite some Beatrix Potter stories by now, but I think this is the best one I've read so far. Most of the stories were quite sweet, perfect to read at Christmas. This one I found to be particularly funny and although you can pretty much imagine what's about to happen (like in most of her stories), it's great to read.

Also, I believe her stories wouldn't be half as good if she hadn't used animals as her characters. And because these tales are written for children, the characters always h
When I was little my dad lovingly created for my little sister a Blue Peter-inspired Tracy Island using flour-based papier mâché. Unfortunately this proved to be highly mouse-edible. A mouse who had eaten the island subsequently died somewhere beneath the floorboards and its decomposition made a very bad smell. There's a fairy story in there somewhere.
Jul 25, 2014 Melle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone considering squatting
Recommended to Melle by: Katie
Squatting mice on a rampage through a dollhouse, or, again, WTF, Beatrix? This was cute and weird. Victorians were weird in general, though, so no surprises there. Zelda wanted to eat this book, but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the mice or the size of the book or Z's terrible habit of chewing on the corners of library books.
Adorable story about two mice and a dollhouse. Beatrix based their antics in her own dollhouse that is still on display at Hill Top Farm in the Lake District, UK. As a dollhouse owner myself, I can't wait to see it. I certainly hope mice stay out of MY dollhouse!
I like this story so much. The two mice are really not bad after all. They might have done something bad, but they were very repentant. I loved the story, especially the wonderful named of the mice - Ton Thumb and Hunca Munca. A definite classic!
While everyone's out, a pair of mice explore a doll's house. They get very frustrated by the pretend food and then just start to destroy and steal stuff.

Becky Frost
Pictures are gorgeous. Story has a sweet premise even if it seems rushed to fit the pictures in some places. Overall story is really cute.
Another favorite! Those naughty mice...and that delightful dollhouse! I think this little book was what inspired me to have my own. Fun!
Cute imaginative story about two mice attacking a doll house and then making amends. Used for book/movie combo with my sister
Anything by Beatrix Potter is a classic, in my opinion, so deserves five stars. Her insistence that her books be published in a size suitable for little hands was a stroke of genius ... I'm sure the size is what caused Little Cherub to pick this off the shelf. Then it was love at first read. She has been pursuing us round the house clutching the book and demanding "Read Two Blind Mice" (a little confusion with the nursery rhyme there!). While the language is complex for little people, it accusto ...more
Two mice break into a dollhouse only to find plaster food. But they still make a big mess.
Windy A. Alicia
Meskipun awalnya dua tikus itu nakal tapi akhirnya mereka baik, mereka tobat dan menjadi baik.
Aha! Two bad mice ends up not being too bad after all, one paid for everything he broke the other one cleans the dollhouse so, not bad right?
Maggie Allbee
It's hard to pick a favorite Beatrix Potter book, but this might be it for me!
  • Autumn Story
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • The Mousehole Cat
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and Some Bees carousel book (Winnie-the-Pooh Carousel Book)
  • Moses the Kitten
  • Hairy Maclary Scattercat
  • There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
  • The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog
  • Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Angus and the Ducks
  • The Teddy Bears' Picnic
  • The Little Duck
  • Norman the Doorman
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan
More about Beatrix Potter...

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Benjamin Bunny