Start by marking “We All Died At Breakaway Station (Venture Science Fiction, #1)” as Want to Read:
We All Died At Breakaway Station (Venture Science Fiction, #1)

We All Died At Breakaway Station (Venture Science Fiction, #1)

When race survival teetered in the balance...

Captain Absolom Bracer, with an artificial brainpan and synthetic eyes. Astrogation officer Gene O'Gwynn, a lady with a plastic face. Weapons officer Akin Darby and Communications officer Miss Cyanta, both with assorted prosthetic parts.

These were the officers of the Iwo Jima, one of the two heavy battle-cruiser starships protec
Mass Market Paperback, 244 pages
Published April 1985 by Hamlyn (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about We All Died At Breakaway Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We All Died At Breakaway Station

Alan
Feb 17, 2010 Alan rated it really liked it
In many ways the title says it all. I found this books recently for 50 cents, and I remember wanting to check it out from the library decades ago, but my older brother wouldn’t let me. Digression-my brother would tell our parents he was taking me to the library, and to do his homework. The reality of it was I his cover for seeing his girlfriend (end of digression).

I am not a huge fan of military science fiction, and what makes this book work, in so many ways is that it is not about endless battl
Cruz
Nov 03, 2010 Cruz rated it it was amazing
The Past: I bought this book when I was in junior high some forty odd years ago. I really thought it was a good book and it caught my imagination. I remember loaning the book to my friend and never getting it back....

The Present: Some twenty eight years later I bought the book through Amazon.com. It still read fresh and clear now as it did some thirty years ago. It was in my book collection that I took to Iraq.

To some this book might be cheesy but Meredith does a good job hitting the psycholog
Robert
Sep 04, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of the Meredith books. He wrote seven novels in is short career from 1969 to 1979 when he passed away. When I first discovered Richard C. Meredith I was only fifteen years old. I was given a copy of the Timeliner Trilogy, by my high school English teacher. Little did I know that more than twenty years later I would be so involved with Meredith’s work. “We All Died At Breakaway Station”, his second published book originally appeared in a much shorter form in AMAZING magazine i ...more
Chris
Oct 03, 2010 Chris rated it it was ok
There's something about science fiction written during the 50s and 60s... they didn't have any of the scope of modern technology, just a romantic view of it, ideas of computers and space travel and whatnot. So they had all of these far-reaching concepts, but only concepts, and fills in the details with their imaginations.. Modern sci-fi often tries too hard with actual technological science, or just forgoes it altogether.

This could be considered run-of-the-mill science fiction from the golden ye
Aaron
May 17, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it
This is some bleak - I refer you to the title - no-nonsense, imaginative scifi with a strong undercurrent of body horror.

There are amazing images: the appalling situation of the reanimated, patched-together crew is vivid and memorable. The inevitable space battles are just sciencey enough and evoke the setting with admirable tension.

The writing can be tough going. The sexual politics are a bit retro at times, 'he wondered why she was crying, but then women were like that' or words to that effect
Aik
Feb 07, 2016 Aik rated it it was ok
There are interesting ideas here but it's mostly ruined by the 1960s worldview that turns all female characters into things for the great men to have sex with as a side-business to being big damn heroes. I don't think it's the book's intended theme, but given how much sex there is in that vein and how pathetic every single female character is, that comes across as one of the main themes. It happens again and again. Painful.

Otherwise, it's a mediocre but enjoyable bit of space opera. The aliens a
Al
Sep 20, 2008 Al rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite space adventure/science fiction novels.
Mankind has expanded thru the universe until we hit an almost-unbeatable foe. After hundreds of years, mankind is on the run, back toward earth, fighting a delaying action against the invaders. Losses are so heavy that medical science has learned how to re-kindle even the smallest spark of life. What would ordinarily be fatal injuries are fixed up and the people sent back into the battle...some without legs, some without stomachs
John Armstrong
Oct 21, 2012 John Armstrong rated it it was ok
Disappointing - great title and a number of good reviews had me searching for this for some time. It's a nice premise: humanity in a war with a completely alien and likely superior enemy, and dead and horribly mutilated soldiers have been reanimated and rebuilt for a last stand at a distant outpost. If it were Silverberg or any number of the better sf writers could have been something special. As it is, it's standard issue writing with way too many exclamation points.
Michael
Jan 24, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
All in all a pretty good book. I really enjoyed reading it. Though it has a pretty bleak outlook it's overall a story of sacrifice for the greater good. Some parts were a bit much, there were some sex scenes that weren't needed. Not that I don't like sex scenes, but they didn't always further the plot and felt like they were thrown in just to add sex. Still, overall I'd suggest it if you can find a copy.
Andreas
Aug 12, 2011 Andreas rated it really liked it
The title does give away a little of the story in this very dark novel. Humanity is locked at war with the Jillies. Humanity is preparing for a massive counter-attack, which hinges on holding Breakaway Station. A collection of walking wounded have to hold the station at all costs.

Quite gripping.

Jeff
Mar 12, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Read this in the late 70's. Still trying to get a copy (again) So I can read it again. My memeory is that I loved it. I could nver figure out why this was never made into a movie. I could have less of an opinion now but I do not think so. Good characters , good story Humans at war in the future againist an alien race . This is good entertainment
Sharon
Dec 07, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
good story hard SF. Slightly black mood to the book but interesting
Alan Fisher
Apr 21, 2015 Alan Fisher rated it really liked it
The science dates this book but an atmosphere of dread and well realised aliens save this book and make it very readable.
Johnathan
Johnathan rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Jd98
Jd98 rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2012
Bill Bailey
Bill Bailey rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
David Rose
David Rose rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2010
Karl Bunker
Karl Bunker rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2010
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2017
Kemono
Kemono rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Mistermalas
Mistermalas rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2011
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2013
Adrian
Adrian rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Kendrah Molnar
Kendrah Molnar rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
Paul Matsi
Paul Matsi rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Micheal Schulz
Micheal Schulz rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2012
Christo
Christo rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2009
Sahnet
Sahnet rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012