Start by marking “We All Died At Breakaway Station (Venture Science Fiction, #1)” as Want to Read:
We All Died At Breakaway Station (Venture Science Fiction, #1)

We All Died At Breakaway Station (Venture Science Fiction, #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  13 reviews
When race survival teetered in the balance...

Captain Absolom Bracer, with an artificial brainpan and synthetic eyes. Astrogation officer Gene O'Gwynn, a lady with a plastic face. Weapons officer Akin Darby and Communications officer Miss Cyanta, both with assorted prosthetic parts.

These were the officers of the Iwo Jima, one of the two heavy battle-cruiser starships protec
Mass Market Paperback, 244 pages
Published April 1985 by Hamlyn (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about We All Died At Breakaway Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We All Died At Breakaway Station

Alan
In many ways the title says it all. I found this books recently for 50 cents, and I remember wanting to check it out from the library decades ago, but my older brother wouldn’t let me. Digression-my brother would tell our parents he was taking me to the library, and to do his homework. The reality of it was I his cover for seeing his girlfriend (end of digression).

I am not a huge fan of military science fiction, and what makes this book work, in so many ways is that it is not about endless battl
Cruz
The Past: I bought this book when I was in junior high some forty odd years ago. I really thought it was a good book and it caught my imagination. I remember loaning the book to my friend and never getting it back....

The Present: Some twenty eight years later I bought the book through Amazon.com. It still read fresh and clear now as it did some thirty years ago. It was in my book collection that I took to Iraq.

To some this book might be cheesy but Meredith does a good job hitting the psycholog
Robert
This is my favorite of the Meredith books. He wrote seven novels in is short career from 1969 to 1979 when he passed away. When I first discovered Richard C. Meredith I was only fifteen years old. I was given a copy of the Timeliner Trilogy, by my high school English teacher. Little did I know that more than twenty years later I would be so involved with Meredith’s work. “We All Died At Breakaway Station”, his second published book originally appeared in a much shorter form in AMAZING magazine i ...more
Chris
There's something about science fiction written during the 50s and 60s... they didn't have any of the scope of modern technology, just a romantic view of it, ideas of computers and space travel and whatnot. So they had all of these far-reaching concepts, but only concepts, and fills in the details with their imaginations.. Modern sci-fi often tries too hard with actual technological science, or just forgoes it altogether.

This could be considered run-of-the-mill science fiction from the golden ye
Aaron
This is some bleak - I refer you to the title - no-nonsense, imaginative scifi with a strong undercurrent of body horror.

There are amazing images: the appalling situation of the reanimated, patched-together crew is vivid and memorable. The inevitable space battles are just sciencey enough and evoke the setting with admirable tension.

The writing can be tough going. The sexual politics are a bit retro at times, 'he wondered why she was crying, but then women were like that' or words to that effect
Al
One of my all-time favorite space adventure/science fiction novels.
Mankind has expanded thru the universe until we hit an almost-unbeatable foe. After hundreds of years, mankind is on the run, back toward earth, fighting a delaying action against the invaders. Losses are so heavy that medical science has learned how to re-kindle even the smallest spark of life. What would ordinarily be fatal injuries are fixed up and the people sent back into the battle...some without legs, some without stomachs
Alan Fisher
The science dates this book but an atmosphere of dread and well realised aliens save this book and make it very readable.
John Armstrong
Disappointing - great title and a number of good reviews had me searching for this for some time. It's a nice premise: humanity in a war with a completely alien and likely superior enemy, and dead and horribly mutilated soldiers have been reanimated and rebuilt for a last stand at a distant outpost. If it were Silverberg or any number of the better sf writers could have been something special. As it is, it's standard issue writing with way too many exclamation points.
Michael
All in all a pretty good book. I really enjoyed reading it. Though it has a pretty bleak outlook it's overall a story of sacrifice for the greater good. Some parts were a bit much, there were some sex scenes that weren't needed. Not that I don't like sex scenes, but they didn't always further the plot and felt like they were thrown in just to add sex. Still, overall I'd suggest it if you can find a copy.
Jeff
Read this in the late 70's. Still trying to get a copy (again) So I can read it again. My memeory is that I loved it. I could nver figure out why this was never made into a movie. I could have less of an opinion now but I do not think so. Good characters , good story Humans at war in the future againist an alien race . This is good entertainment
Andreas
The title does give away a little of the story in this very dark novel. Humanity is locked at war with the Jillies. Humanity is preparing for a massive counter-attack, which hinges on holding Breakaway Station. A collection of walking wounded have to hold the station at all costs.

Quite gripping.

zeb
Pants. Eminently forgettable late 60s sociological/military SF.
Sharon
good story hard SF. Slightly black mood to the book but interesting
Will
Will added it
Aug 27, 2015
Arees
Arees marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Mike Zyskowski
Mike Zyskowski marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Lauren Perez
Lauren Perez marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Steve Brown
Steve Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Edgar Philpotts
Edgar Philpotts marked it as to-read
Lynn John Cunningham
Lynn John Cunningham marked it as to-read
Robbert
Robbert marked it as to-read
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Dan Forsyth
Dan Forsyth marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
cookiebatter
cookiebatter marked it as to-read
John Long
John Long marked it as to-read
Anthony Broadley
Anthony Broadley marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Timeliner Trilogy (Venture Science Fiction, #14) At The Narrow Passage No Brother, No Friend (The Timeliner Trilogy, Bk. 2) Vestiges Of Time (Timeliner Trilogy, Bk. 3) The Sky is Filled with Ships (Venture Science Fiction, #20)