Start by marking “Straight and Curvy, Meek and Nervy: More about Antonyms” as Want to Read:
Straight and Curvy, Meek and Nervy: More about Antonyms

Straight and Curvy, Meek and Nervy: More about Antonyms (Words are CATegorical)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

What Is an Antonym? One book is never enough to explore the wide range of antonyms! The zany (not ordinary) cats deliver loads of additional examples to illustrate the power of these opposites. Brian P. Cleary's playful (not dull) verse and Brian Gable's comical (not serious) cats turn traditional grammar lessons on end. Each pair of antonyms is printed in color for easy (

Published March 1st 2009 by Millbrook Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Straight and Curvy, Meek and Nervy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Straight and Curvy, Meek and Nervy

Christine Levinge
This is a great book to aid in a lesson on Antonyms. It presents opposites in a fun, rhyming way that the students will have fun interacting with. The only downside to this book is the difficulty of some of the words; however, it would probably be perfectly suitable for second or third graders.
Dolly
Jun 09, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy the books by this author. He makes learning fun, and this is a silly and humorous rhyming book about antonyms. His books really entertain children while teaching them basic concepts; our girls really like them. The illustrations are cartoony and cute, too - we love the cats.

We've read several of the books in the Words are CATegorical series and we've really enjoyed them. We will certainly look for more books by Brian P. Cleary at our local library.
Carol Jen
Jul 24, 2014 Carol Jen rated it really liked it
Cute, educational and rhyming! What more could you ask for :-)
Sharon
In particular, this text would serve as a great read-aloud for young students who need reinforcement in what antonyms are and it also provides relevant and appropriate examples of antonyms. Furthermore, I would implement a read-aloud of this text as apart of a pre-lesson of antonyms. I would also integrate some sort of hands-on activity to follow the reading such as allowing students to think of pairs of words that are antonyms and to write them on sticky notes and paste them to the white board.
Aug 22, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book is good for giving students more experience with antonyms. Also, it utilizes a lot of prefixes for the students to learn about. Within the pair of antonyms, the students may only know one word, but knowing that they are antonyms will help them figure out the definition of the unknown word, thus this can be used as a vocab builder.
Lyndsey Hurm
I love the illustrations in this book! I would use this book to introduce antonyms because the book gives many examples and explains what they are. It is also a rhyming book and is humorous so children will enjoy it.
Katy Houseman
Feb 23, 2012 Katy Houseman rated it it was amazing
This is another wonderful book about antonyms by Brian P. Cleary. This book still uses fun rhyming words with wonderful illustrations. Great book for students to use to help them identify antonyms.
April Scheivelhud
This book is good at pointing out all kinds of different antonyms. It does a good job of pointing out prefixes such as
-mis,-ir, -ill. The illustrations might be hard to see for a large group.
Carman
Dec 05, 2010 Carman rated it really liked it
This book could be used in the classroom to introduce antonyms. I loved the word play and it such a bright and colorful book it's hard to imagine children not being drawn to it.
Madonna
Apr 14, 2011 Madonna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parts-of-speech
-Great colorful descriptive pictures
-Antonyms well described
-Good to activate a lesson on antonyms
-Students can read it independently
-Not too many words
Rebecca Martin
Aug 20, 2012 Rebecca Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: grammar, rhymes
This is a great book to introduce antonyms. It has cute illustrations and rhymes. The book gives a lot of examples of antonyms and explains how they are opposite words.
Christie Suh
Feb 09, 2010 Christie Suh rated it it was amazing
Good book for older elementary school students. Is very catchy and has a good rhythm to it. Explains clearly what antonyms are and gives great examples.
Melissa Nastja
Apr 21, 2010 Melissa Nastja rated it liked it
Shelves: grammar
Great book about antonyms, helps students understand what makes a word an antonym. Provides great examples that increase student vocabulary.
Jasmin Thompson
Apr 19, 2012 Jasmin Thompson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: antonyms
Brian P. Clearly wrote an excellent book to teach children about antonyms. The pictures are colorful and hilarious.
Betsy
Jan 16, 2013 Betsy rated it really liked it
Great book for teaching opposites. Also could be used to introduce prefixes.
Lydia
Excellent book to teach about antonyms and rhyming.
Bob Wu
Bob Wu marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Gina
Gina added it
May 18, 2016
Marta
Marta added it
Apr 26, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Dragos Alexandru
Dragos Alexandru marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Gelene Keever
Gelene Keever rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Mariebeth Tangpuz
Mariebeth Tangpuz marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Suzi Sherman
Suzi Sherman marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ashland 566 Autum...: Picture Book 47 1 2 Nov 18, 2012 06:04AM

Words are CATegorical (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • I'm and Won't, They're and Don't: What's a Contraction?
  • Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely
  • Hairy, Scary, Ordinary: What Is an Adjective?
  • How Much Can a Bare Bear Bear?: What Are Homonyms and Homophones?
  • I and You and Don't Forget Who
  • A Mink, a Fink, a Skating Rink: What Is a Noun?
  • Pitch and Throw, Grasp and Know: What Is a Synonym?
  • Stop and Go, Yes and No: What Is an Antonym?
  • To Root, to Toot, to Parachute