Start by marking “Allies of the Earth: Railroads and the Soul of Preservation” as Want to Read:
Allies of the Earth: Railroads and the Soul of Preservation

Allies of the Earth: Railroads and the Soul of Preservation

Although few Americans use passenger trains today, we still love railroads. We say we want to preserve our national parks, countryside, and urban landscapes, yet we keep tearing into the best of them every day. Once abandoning railroads would have been unthinkable, but we have forgotten the importance of trains for our earth and for ourselves. Alfred Runte challenges our ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Truman State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Allies of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allies of the Earth

Linda
May 21, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Lyrical ode to railroads and emphatic call to bring them back. While I think he misses making some arguments, allowing that trains might NOT be cheaper or safer than cars, which I believe they are, the arguments he does make are irrefutable. His last two lines sum up this powerful and beautiful manifesto - The land would ask for trains. For the good of America the United, and America the Beautiful, we need to believe in the land again, and go by train.
Billy
Jan 01, 2009 Billy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Michael Leighton and Jeanette Wolfberg
First, my quibbles: could have used better editing plus there's a slightly odd stuffiness to the writing that may come across to some as whiney or preachy... BUT I really enjoyed the book and find myself agreeing with the author about what we lost when we gave up on the passenger train in America and sold our souls to the automobile. My doubts about the author are more self doubts, I think.
Tim.
Apr 09, 2007 Tim. marked it as to-read
I was recommended this book by the man who painted the cover, so it could go either way...However, I've read a lot of his op-eds, and Runte seems to be fairly confrontational...Maybe a little bitter? Probably won't get to this one until late in the year.
Jeramey
Mar 12, 2012 Jeramey rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into it like I wanted. The arguments made sense if taken at face value, but it feels like there is a lot under the surface worth exploring.
Alessandra
Alessandra rated it did not like it
Nov 25, 2012
Jaime Young
Jaime Young rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2008
Richard Schrock
Richard Schrock rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2010
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2008
Casey Skillington
Casey Skillington marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Jim
Jim added it
Jan 06, 2016
jeffrey
jeffrey marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
Alfred Runte writes for a national following on the meaning and management of protected landscapes. Born and raised in Binghamton, New York, in the upper Susquehanna River Valley, he became the youngest board member of the Susquehanna Conservation Council. While fighting with others to preserve the river, he earned his B.A. from Harpur College of the State University of New York at Binghamton ...more
More about Alfred Runte...