Start by marking “Cranberry Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
Cranberry Thanksgiving

Cranberry Thanksgiving (Cranberryport)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  786 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Today was Thanksgiving, Grandmother's favorite day of the year. The cooking was done and her famous cranberry bread was cooling on the wooden board. Every year Grandmother invited a guest for dinner and allowed Maggie to do the same. "Ask someone poor or lonely," she always said.

She wasn't happy upon learning that Maggie had invited the unsavory Mr. Whiskers to dinner. Wou
Published January 1st 1971 by Parents' Magazine Press

To ask other readers questions about Cranberry Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cranberry Thanksgiving

I was thrilled to find that my library system actually has a copy of this book since it has received some stellar reviews but is apparently out of print and quite spendy used. I thought it was a charming read, but didn't quite live up to the "hype" for me. Even so, if you are able to find an inexpensive used copy or one at your library, this would make a great addition to Thanksgiving reads. The illustrations are adorable and have a delightful blend of old-fashionedness and an almost cartoony se ...more
Dec 18, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another entertaining story in the Cranberryport series by Wende Devlin and Harry Devlin.

This series is very charming and features a cantankerous character named Mr. Whiskers who is hilarious. We've read many books in this series, mainly around the associated season or holiday. The illustrations are old fashioned and have a nice New England theme.

This is a great book to read for Thanksgiving and I thought the drama centered around the recipe was very humorous. We enjoyed reading this bo
Every thanksgiving growing up I read this book and baked the bread, but this term reading this book took on a special meaning for me with the way of dissecting children's literature. I realized why I liked this book and wanted to re-read it, particularly it's way of teaching children about make-shift families and sticking together during the holidays. I feel this book is a written straight from the heart and you can feel the warmth from the lessons as well as the fact that it's still popular abo ...more
We read Cranberry Thanksgiving for our Five in a Row curriculum and loved it! My daughter really enjoyed the story and so many details stuck with her after just the first "row." It's a great story about a girl named Maggie, her friend Mr. Whiskers, and her somewhat judgemental Grandmother with whom she lives. This book prompts discussions about judging others based on appearances, being rude to others, and being compassionate. We will read one more time and then bake Grandmother's Famous Cranber ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Maggie and her grandmother live at the edge of a New England cranberry bog, and every year they each choose a guest to join them for a Thanksgiving feast. This year Grandmother invites the lavender-pomaded Mr. Horace. Maggie invites her gruff, scruffy friend Mr. Whiskers, and Grandmother is horrified because not only does he smell bad, but she is sure he's after her secret cranberry bread recipe! After a beautiful meal, her fears are vindicated: one of the guests tries to steal the recipe, but t ...more
This is a heart-warming story about a young girl, Maggie, who lives on a cranberry bog with her grandmother. Maggie's grandmother is famous for her cranberry bread recipe and is very suspicious of anyone trying to steal it, especially a local fisherman Mr. Whiskers. Much to her grandmother's dismay, however, Maggie invites Mr. Whisker's to Thanksgiving. In a tale that highlights the delicious food of the holiday and the loving spirit behind it, Cranberry Thanksgiving is a true treat the shows ...more
Erica Brown
One of my favorite books from childhood and I check it out of our school library every Thanksgiving and read it with my girls.
Becky B
I don't remember much about this book, except that we read it in 1st grade and then made cranberry bread (which was yummy).
Mar 17, 2012 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Heather by: Have had since I was a child.
Shelves: kids-books
I love this book as well as all the other ...Cranberry books by Wende Devlin. I have read this to my own 4 kids during the Thanksgiving season and last year read it to my kindergarten class in my homeschool co-op. The kids in my co-op class loved the suspense of figuring out who stole grandmother's recipe. We also talked about not judging people on how they look and talk because of who they thought stole the recipe.This is a wonderful story about family,friendship,tradition and not judging on th ...more
We loved this book! So sweet.
Rosa Cline
There is four or five books in this series and although you can read them out of order (and not real sure there is an order) This one gives you a nice back ground on the relationship between two of the main characters. So if you read the others and wondered 'why' they were the way they were this book helps explain that. Also this book helps readers-listeners to 'don't judge by what you see' as the elderly woman in the book discovers in the end. A wonderful caring friendship book.
Paul  Hankins
Grandmother's Cranberry Bread draws two visitors to her home for Thanksgiving dinner, but does one of those guests have designs on stealing the recipe?

Wende and Harry Devlin created my favorite picture book from my childhood, HOW FLETCHER WAS HATCHED, so it was a thrill to find this title in the bins the other day at the warehouse.

Just in time for the approaching holiday.
This Thanksgiving parable shows us that you can't judge a book by its cover. Grandmother doesn't like Maggie's friend Mr. Whiskers because he's unkempt and uncouth. She DOES like Mr. Horace because he's neat and clean and has impeccable manners. But, Grandmother is in for a big surprise after dinner. Grandmother's famous cranberry bread recipe is included in the book.
I read this book when I was a kid. It's a classic and I still love to read it. The illustrations are old style, but that's what makes it so comfortable and endearing. You'll love this book especially if you're from back east. It also comes with the cranberry bread recipe at the back of the book that Mr. Horace (story character) tries to steal from grandmother.
We just read Aesop's fables before diving into this book and we decided that moral of this story was never judge a man by his whiskers/smell/tie. :-) This is a fun books to read aloud. And on the back cover you can find the recipe for Grandmother's Famous Cranberry Bread. The charming 1970s illustrations remind me of my childhood.
Raven Corwin
Dec 18, 2013 Raven Corwin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is old enough to listen to or read a story
Recommended to Raven by: gift from my parents
A family tradition for 40 years! My mum and dad got me a first edition the year this book was published. Not only is the story adorable (a good old-fashioned children's story), but the recipe is great, too. We've been making "Grandma's" cranberry bread since 1971. This is one of my most prized books.
Amanda V
Have to read this book each year for Thanksgiving. It's a family tradition! A terrific tale for Thanksgiving guests on the hunt for Grandma's magnificent cranberry bread recipe. A great lesson about holiday traditions and how to be respectful of things that don't belong to you!
Michael Stockinger
I seem to recall a book read to me in elementary school about an uncle or family friend who really liked cranberry sauce. During Thanksgiving dinner he got it all over his bushy beard which was hilarious to me at the time. This wasn't that book, but I enjoyed it just the same.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Wonderful story about the meaning of Thanksgiving as it is today. The illustrations are average but the story is sweet and exciting perhaps for younger children. Although the ending is predictable, the last couple of pages aren't and I really liked the message.
Penny McGill
All time favourites. All time favourite. I can't pick up this book without tasting the foods I ate as a child and feeling all of those great feelings. My oldest brother read this book to me over and over again and it will always be my true all time favourite.
Nov 09, 2013 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Teri by: Kimberly
Love Mr. Whiskers and the other sweet characters in this cute little story. There is a cranberry bread recipe on the back cover I am going to make with my little girl. The story is about the cranberry bread, so that will make it even more meaningful.
November 2012. I really liked this one and so did Hattie. The pictures are cute and vibrant (H particularly liked Mr Whiskers), the story is nice for Thanksgiving, and the little recipe in the back took it over the top. Gotta make this a yearly tradition :-)
The first book in the Cranberry series is a classic tale of acceptance that teaches us that things are not always as they seem. The delightful illustrations compliment the well played story that offers a nice twist with a tradition moral. Highly recommended.
Julie Suzanne
Visiting step-grandchildren over Thanksgiving weekend, one adored 9-year-old recommended this, saying it's one of her favorites. I read it aloud to her and the 6-year-old while their older brother played hockey, and I loved it. A good memory.
We got a copy of this book several years ago, and it continues to be among the picture books that I most enjoy revisiting. We own two other books from the Cranberry series and recently read several others via the library. We've enjoyed them all.
Grandma and Maggie both invite a guest for dinner, Grandma invites a lonely visitor in town, and Maggie invites Mr. Whiskers, this makes grandma unhappy, she's worried that Mr. Whiskers will steal her special Cranberry Bread recipe!
The kids' favorite Thanksgiving story. Silly but sweet. Has one-liners that they continue to use around the house, which is a sure sign of a winner. Not in any way related to the historical Thanksgiving stories--but has merit on its own.
What a wonderful story. One I grew up reading every year - about family, friends and the importance of looking past appearances. Perfect book for a Thanksgiving traditional reading.
  • How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
  • Plump And Perky Turkey, A
  • Follow the Drinking Gourd
  • It's Thanksgiving
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks

Cranberryport (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Cranberry Christmas
  • Cranberry Summer
  • Cranberry Birthday
  • Cranberry Moving Day
  • Cranberry First Day of School
How Fletcher Was Hatched Old Black Witch! Cranberry Christmas Cranberry Valentine Cranberry Halloween