Mother Teresa: No Greater Love

Mother Teresa: No Greater Love

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  873 ratings  ·  106 reviews
This book contains the essential wisdom of Mother Theresa—the most accessible and inspirational colletion of her teachings ever published. It includes her thoughts on love, prayer, giving, service, poverty, forgiveness, Jesus, and more.
Published October 1st 2000 by Mjf Books (first published January 1st 1997)

Marci
This is a book I randomly bought off a clearance shelf while in college and I just got around to reading it thanks to my book club. It is set up as a series of quotes and stories from Mother Teresa divided by topic (Prayer, Love, Giving, etc) which makes it easy to find just what you may be looking for. At the end of the book is an interview with her and then a time line of her life, both of which I found very interesting. I really enjoyed looking through her thoughts and learned a lot about her...more
bookczuk
The fruit of silence is prayer.
The fruit of prayer is faith.
The fruit of faith is love.
The fruit of love is service.
The fruit of service is peace.

-Mother Teresa

Words to remember. And live by, if you can remember them.
Lon
Upon his election, the new Pope chose to adopt the name of the legendary St. Francis, whose deep compassion for the poor inspires the new pontiff. We’ve been moved (Catholics and non-Catholics alike) by images of the Pope reminding us that spiritual leadership, first and foremost, is about showing us how to love, especially how to love the least lovable among us. (Isn’t there a story about St. Francis confronting his instinctual and conditioned repugnance at the sight of a leper and then touchin...more
Kerri
Jun 26, 2008 Kerri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone especially christians
so they say you can't chose a book by its cover right? i firmly believe that. No, just kidding, but in this case the book itself is just as pure and beautiful as the silky white front cover. As a missionary, a lover, a peacemaker, an ally of the poor and suffering, an icon of both the secular and church world and a tiny religious nun, just seeing the name Mother Teresa makes me smile. This book, in her own words, about the eternal Love and man's personal will of God, with a few short stories thr...more
Anna Dourgarian
Through the quotes that compose this book, Mother Teresa lives up to her reputation as a loving, devoted Christian and fellow human. When I first picked up No Greater Love, I expected to be inspired to live like she lived, but instead I was challenged to live like God wants me to live. Mother Teresa is brilliant (and reassuring!) in her acknowledgement that her lifestyle is not for everyone and that each of us is called to serve in a different way. She uses both her enlightened thoughts and her...more
Deedums
This book challenged me to re-evaluate my own walk with Christ. When I see others, who do I see and how do I reach out to them? Ka Pow! It's a convicting read, and it presents a convincing argument for more devotion and doing more for others.
Katie
Incredible words of wisdom from a woman who clearly had a great love for Jesus and humanity. Possibly one of the most inspiring books I've read in a long time. Her message is simple but very profound and touching.

This world would be a much better place if the rest of us could love with an ounce of the love that Mother Teresa expressed to those around her. I recommend this to everyone -- whether you are Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, Agnostic or of any other creed... I think we can all be...more
Joel
Oct 06, 2008 Joel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every beating heart
Shelves: christian, social
Mother Teresa, we all know, was an absolutely amazing woman and had the heart of hearts. Her book displays that amazingly. Her prose is not elegant, but it was painstakingly thoughtful and heartfelt. It challenges and inspires; should be read all. If this were on everyone's bookshelf of books they've read, maybe, just maybe, our world would be a better place. The heart of this amazingly woman shines through every page and will touch the hardest of hearts in the simplest and plainest ways, just a...more
Matt Burgess
Profound insight into a real international hero and icon. This book does not always demonstrate incredible layout or writing, but in it Mother Theresa provides her own thought-provoking perspective on the subject of love. The authentic words from this humble leader are truly inspirational given the life and experiences behind them all.

For anyone who thinks they fully understand love especially the love that Jesus came to this world to exemplify, this book is for you.
Nina
I really enjoyed this book. I especially liked how Mother Teresa describes the concept of humility. She explains that in order to learn true humility one must experience humiliation. In doing so, we identify in the suffering of Christ who suffered the ultimate shame, humiliation, and rejection. Some may not understand how freeing it is to actually experience humiliating defeat...the Lord will restore us once he brings us to that place of complete brokenness...which results in complete reliance o...more
Lillian
So good to spend time with her thoughts. Here are a couple I really want to remember:

Do not pursue spectacular deeds. We must deliberately renounce all desires to see the fruit of our labor, doing all we can as best we can, leaving the rest in the hands of God. What matters is the gift of yourself, the degree of love that you put into each one of your actions.

The work of moral rearmament is carried out with discretion and love. The more discrete, the more penetrating it will be. You give it to o
Olivia
Mother Teresa's insights on love, service, forgiveness and prayer. She exemplified Christlike love, caring for the most unloved in society.
Anna
This book is helped me grow deeper in my faith and find love in the simple pleasures of life. She is truly a Saint.
Kelsie
One of my favorites. She has such a tender, compassionate, and generous love for Jesus.
Lee Rubsam
Mother Teresa was a beautiful daughter of the King. There is so much wisdom contained within these pages, so much to expand our thoughts on what it is to love, so much humility expressed, so much passion for Jesus.

Being a Protestant, I could not, of course, embrace some of her beliefs, but all the same, I felt that I learned vastly from her. The first chapter, which was devoted to having a deep prayer life, was particularly meaningful to me. Mother Teresa's love for Jesus shines through every pa...more
Fredrick Danysh
Mother Teresa of the Sisters of charities was placed on the fast track for sainthood by the Vatican due to the good works that she did among the world's improvised. This book by her is full of stories and quotes that can serve as examples of a caring life, The path of her life is also traced in this book. A good read for religious and non-religious as well as Christian sand non-Christian.
Melanie Mauer
a favorite of mine - i was hooked from what i learned about prayer. incredibly moved by what it really means to serve the poorest of the poor - i think we each have a handful of heroes in our lives and she is one of mine.
So simple but so straight forward. She gets right to the heart of the problems of this day and age. An excellent, insightful/ reflective read!
J. Alfred
About what you'd expect from such an astonishing human being: inflexibly humble and kind, with simplicity and profundity coexisting in understated harmony. Very impressive stuff.
Katie
I wanted to read this book because I wanted to know more about Mother Theresa. It was not my type of book, but having said that, it was amazing to read about her devotion to God and prayer. I highlighted some of her prayers and it was quite thought provoking. So much of what she shared just went over my head. I feel uncomfortable admitting this, but her devotion to prayer is something I can barely fathom. I do pray and feel very connected to a larger purpose, but while I was reading this I felt...more
Kimberly
"A passionate testament to deep hope and abiding faith in God." I was fortunate to take a Religion course in college a few years ago and this book was the required text. A simple read, but still truly powerful and emotionally evocative. Sometimes it is the smallest and simplest words that make such a difference. It remains as one of my favorite reads that I find myself reviewing and reading over and over again. I highly recommend.
Nancy
I love this book, but, I love Mother Teresa... She went to do her work in Calcutta, India because it was where the door was open to her love and kindness where they needed it most. It turned out that she was needed all over the world. This book is filled with Mother Teresa's words of wisdom and acts of kindness. I love that she was the angel for the sick, dying, and orphans. A women of true character...
Yvonne Innes
This Book was a very inspiring read. While we can't all be saints, it will encourage us to follow suit in our own individual ways.

Some may say, "No one can be that good," but they are wrong. Both men and women can be self-sacrificing tools for a better, more caring world. Mother Teresa's one-on-one approach is they key for many of us, if we only open ourselves up to her beautiful words.
Courtney Condo
How can you DISLIKE the words and wisdom of Mother Teresa? Definitely what I expected, and not an exceptionally challenging read, but it presents us with extreme challenges to our self-centered world views. If you're looking for a way to make yourself want to go out and help your neighbor, look no further. If you're sick of peace and justice, well, keep this one on the shelf.
Abby
Didn't have time to finish this, as I borrowed it and had to return. But it feels like a wise older person is talking straight to you and imparting wisdom from years of experience... Which, in fact, is exactly what is happening. Her thoughts and advice on prayer are simple and straightforward, clearly those of a women who has worked to make it a discipline and seen the fruit.
I could read this book once a year. It is divided into subjects and is a collection of writings by Mother Teresa on each topic. Very honest, challenging and inspiring from a truly humble and wise heart.
Alicia
Dec 07, 2011 Alicia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alicia by: TX book club
I love Mother Teresa and am so impressed by her life and the love she showed to others. I was fascinated to read the biographical details of her life in this book, and less interested in the Catholic doctrines that I couldn't quite understand. But her messages of love and prayer and of seeing Jesus in the poor people on the streets were wonderful.
Hayley
This was a work of honor and faith, dedicated to a merciful God - filled with the timeless wisdom developed by Mother Theresa of Calcutta. Written in sections, titled, for example as "On Prayer" or "On Service" and supplemented with quotes and prayers from Mother Theresa's life, along with other saints and religious leaders. A wonderful read.
Stevie
Mother Theresa has a lot of wisdom to share and stirring words. I disagree with her opinion on only sharing Christ through action devoid of words, her view of all the poor and needy as Christ in distressing disguise, and implied view that the Fall didn't cause suffering and pain. I can learn a lot from her on loving others and prayer.
Andrea
My book club didn't really like this book, but I did. I found Mother Teresa's words to be very inspirational. This book read a lot like Proverbs, not biographical at all. She gives her thoughts on prayer, hope, love and more and how these values/actions shape her work. This book looks short, but it takes awhile to process her words.
Testing, testing 2 6 Dec 18, 2013 06:07PM
  • Rise, Let Us Be on Our Way
  • First Comes Love: Finding Your Family in the Church and the Trinity
  • Theology of the Body for Beginners: A Basic Introduction to Pope John Paul II's Sexual Revolution
  • God Is Love--Deus Caritas Est: Encyclical Letter
  • Journal of a Soul
  • Something Beautiful for God
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • Men, Women and the Mystery of Love: Practical Insights from John Paul II's Love and Responsibility
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • Three to Get Married
  • How to Find Your Soulmate Without Losing Your Soul
  • Interior Castle
Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (pronounced [aɡˈnɛs ˈɡɔndʒa bɔjaˈdʒiu]), was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had b...more
More about Mother Teresa...
Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta A Simple Path Mother Teresa: In My Own Words In the Heart of the World: Thoughts, Stories and Prayers The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living

“You may be exhausted with work, you may even kill yourself, but unless your work is interwoven with love, it is useless. To work without love is slavery.” 5 likes
“The greatest mistake is to think you are too strong to fall into temptation. Put your finger in the fire and it will burn. So we have to go through the fire.” 3 likes