Start by marking “Indecent Exposure” as Want to Read:
Indecent Exposure

Indecent Exposure (Piemburg #2)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,859 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
A blazing satire of South African apartheid, Indecent Exposure is Tom Sharpe's brilliant follow-up to his Riotous Assembly. Once again the setting is Piemburg, the deceptively peaceful looking capital of Zululand, where Kommandant van Heerden, Konstabel Els, and Luitenant Verkramp continue to terrorize true Englishmen and even truer Zulus in their relentless search for a p ...more
Published January 18th 1994 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published 1973)

Andrew
Mar 24, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the sequel to Riotous Assembly and really keeps up the scathing and farcical attacks on the Apartheid regime. It is Tom Sharpe at what i think his most cutting, as through the jokes and ridiculous situations you can his views on such a deplorable system and the society that acted as if it was totally acceptable.
There is really no way to describe the storyline - apart from my golden rule that I dont give away the plot or that there are no doubt far better reviewers than myself out t
Eric
Sep 01, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it
Wet your pants funny! Its been to long since we have been able to make fun of apartide.
Chris
Dec 11, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
This novel is what you get when you combine racism, police and electro-shock therapy in South Africa.
Jana
Apr 24, 2013 Jana rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. Satire re the South African police that is full of innuendos that had me laughing harder than I have in a long time. This is his followup to Riotous Assembly. I look forward to reading that book in the future.
Marinechinaski
Oct 02, 2015 Marinechinaski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le tengo que dar las cinco estrellas porque no me reía tanto con un libro desde "La conjura de los necios". Salvando las distancias con el libro de Toole, cuyo humor negro es mucho más fino e irónico, Sharpe logra meterte en una aventura dignísima de las mejores historias de humor absurdo y alocado que puedas echarte a la cara. Con ese ambiente de comedia negra y un refinado humor inglés, las risas están más que aseguradas con esta obra, que si peca de algo es de políticamente incorrecta, y ahí ...more
Carye Yanko
Aug 01, 2008 Carye Yanko rated it really liked it
This is really good satire. And the story construction is excellent.
Gopal (The Minion)
Apr 12, 2012 Gopal (The Minion) rated it really liked it
Black Humor. That term is redefined by this Tom Sharpe novel. Set in apartheid SA, the quest for perfect White SA by Lt. Verkamp, the bumbling Kommadent van Hardeen's dream to be treated as true blueblood British & the maniacal Dr. vom Bliemstein's passion for turning any ordinary situation into a psychartist lesson leaves the reader in splits.

Tom Sharpe managed to keep in splits while simultaneously shaking my head and asking myself can this really happen? Sometimes a bit over the top, the
Tijl Vandersteene
Voor velen zijn de boeken van Tom Sharpe minderwaardig vanwege de soms aangebrande humor. Het is inderdaad niet altijd even hoogstaand, hihi. Het is wel altijd grappig, van smalend tot hilarisch. En Sharpe steekt altijd de draak met schijnheiligheid, racisme, machtsmisbruik, fanatisme etc. In Indecent Exposure loopt alles lekker uit de hand als een Zuid-Afrikaanse politiecommissaris er alles aan doet om bij de Engelse stiff upper lip elite, ook maar een stelletje bekrompen onmensen die Afrikaner ...more
Ayyorama
Jul 15, 2016 Ayyorama rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lusty & witty joke lovers, public place laughter experts
Laugh out loud, witty, sarcastic, hilarious piece of writing! This story set in the little town of Piemburg in South Africa is about two police officers and their divergent quests for power and royalty respectively. Set during apartheid and ripe with wry British humour coupled with lusty yet not raunchy jokes, this book had me laughing out loud in the middle of shared cab rides, train rides, and office lunch hours.

You may think some of the jokes are racist or sexist on the face of it but they a
Jay Daze
As a satiric take-down of racist white society in arphatide South Africa this is a top rate book, but time is merciless and the book is greatly eroded by homophobia and rape jokes.

At one time is probably was the height of yuks to have white policemen raping black women turned into flaming gays through shock treatment, but it falls with a resounding thud today. A french lesbian is buggered by an almost mythical creature of chaos and if not turned straight, is almost whistful about the experience
Jamie
Jan 19, 2014 Jamie rated it liked it
>This was given to me in a mixed box of books.

I found this really very funny in some places, Clockwork Orange meets Benny Hill type humour. However, it is undoubtedly dated.

I think it probably would be deemed seriously offensive by most modern readers and I think would have been rejected by modern publishers... The author got booted out of South Africa for writing this book, so if you are easily offended or the type of person who wants Enid Blyton re-written because of the 'sexism' this is de
Richard Beasley
Mar 10, 2014 Richard Beasley rated it really liked it
Need to save up the 5 stars. This is great, but not as "must read" as riotous assembly.
There are many laugh out loud moments, but some it's are a bit formulaic, and I didn't think the return of Konstabel Els really worked. He was a brilliant invention previously, but here it feels like putting in Els because he was funny last time, but not really having anything to do.

But Verkamp's descent from straight odd into total lunacy is wonderful. As always Tom Sharpe realises that you cannot underestima
James Manders
Jan 21, 2015 James Manders rated it it was amazing
I read Wilt a couple of years ago so I already knew that I liked Tom Sharpe's writing.

I often find that I notice simplistic writing styles more with books written in the 3rd person, but Indecent exposure never feels simplistic, it is well crafted throughout and is a joy to read from start to finish.

It's hilarious too, events escalate to incredible and unbelievable extremes, then seemingly continue to escalate even further, all from a few bad decisions from characters placed in a position of powe
Monica
Aug 02, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: british, africa
The cops from Riotous Assembly are back, and in fine form. Kommandant Van Eerden thinks he now has a British heart (he doesn't, the transplant surgery re-implanted his own heart) and goes off to spend two weeks in the country with the Dornford Yates Club, a group of British eccentrics given to potent cocktails, cross dressing and reenacting scenes from the works of The Master.

This leaves the rabidly racist (better dead than a black in your bed), rabidly anti-communist (better dead than Red) Luit
Alan Smith
Nov 14, 2013 Alan Smith rated it liked it
This is an amazingly funny book, satarising the apartheid regime of the old South Africa, ultra-rightist authoritarian politics, faddish scientific reconditioning (a la "Clockwork Orange") and snobbery in general. Very few books have made me laugh out loud when reading it alone, and this one managed it.

However, my recommendation comes with a very important caveat. Much of the humour comes from the snobbishly pro-British lead character's attempts to ingratiate himself into a group that are obses
William Fraser
Jun 16, 2013 William Fraser rated it it was amazing
I first read this some thirty-odd years ago and found it to be one of the funniest books I had ever read. Having learned of the untimely death of Tom Sharpe, I dived into the depths of my pile of paperbacks and retrieved my copy, somewhat worse for age. The paper may have aged but the wit and humour haven't and it is still as funny as I remembered it.

Nobody comes out smelling of roses, not even Kommandant van Heerden, who goes ploughing through them on the back of his horrendous, black mount wh
Alex Nelson
Jul 06, 2015 Alex Nelson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature, humour
Along with A Riotous Assembly, these form the only satire Sharpe wrote. South African authorities considered Sharpe an "enemy of the State" whose works were "seditious" after his anti-Apartheid play The South African debuted in London. Sadly, Sharpe seldom wrote a funny book afterwards...
Louise
Aug 04, 2014 Louise rated it liked it
I first read Indecent Exposure at about 14 when I found a copy at my aunt and uncle's house, where we were luckily staying long enough for me to read the whole book. It was my introduction to Tom Sharpe, after which I read everything he'd written at that point and up until the early 90's. The Great Pursuit was one of my favourites, along with the Wilt series. Quite frankly, I found him hilarious.
This was another of my Hay-on-Wye bargains and I wasn't sure whether, in these enlightened, post-apar
Rory McKay
Sep 23, 2015 Rory McKay rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud on the train funny.

Dribble of wee funny.

Aching jaw funny.

Uncomfortable, disturbed, looking half-away from the page funny.

Tom Sharpe is simply one of the funniest writers I have ever read, and I've read a lot of books.

A master of the art of schadenfreude - the art of laughing at someone else's misfortune.

So what more can I say?

Highly recommended.
Robert
Mar 29, 2016 Robert rated it really liked it
Tom Sharpe, the master satirist, makes his sequel to Riotous Assembly as anarchic and farcical as the first. Clever, witty and shockingly accurate in its depiction of authority, racism and the class system that existed once upon a time in South Africa.
Pepe B&V
Para ser un escritor de izquierdas, vaya humor negro: racista, homófobo... ¡Raya la brutalidad! ¡Vaya mundo más extraño, Zululandia, qué mundo más retrógrado! Por otra parte, la novela en sí no me ha disgustado. Pese a indignarme a trozos, me he reído también a tramos. No sé, algo muy raro; la mitad: 3 de 3.
Marina
Jun 01, 2013 Marina rated it liked it
I've only read the first chapter so I shouldn't really put the "read" tag, but it was what I had to do for CEL.
Aaanyhow, I really liked it but only after a second reading and a detailed analysis. It's so sarcastic and the irony well hidden between the lines that you have to watch out for it and give the reading your full attention. The first time I read it I knew nothing about the cultural background so I had to do quite a bit of exploring. It's quiet a difficult read, so maybe I'll come back to
Dennis Goos
Sep 22, 2016 Dennis Goos rated it it was amazing
Funny satireagain with the cast of Piemburg in South Africa. Humour. Sex . Violence concealed beneath laughter.
Laurent Szklarz
Hilarious satire of the 70' South African Apartheid regime.
Jeffrey
Feb 26, 2012 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Very, very funny. One of Sharpe's best efforts. Sharpe has the ability to use English and all of its crudities and shape it into a 'laugh out loud' satirical farce of epic proportions. It is no surprise to learn that he was "asked to leave" South Africa after this and 'Riotous Assembly' were published!

If you don't like crude language, don't read Sharpe's works. If you love the satirical use of bad language, then Sharpe is a master - he was a professor of English, and his skill with the language
Ruru Ghoshal
Mar 27, 2014 Ruru Ghoshal rated it it was amazing
Raucous laugh, wot wot.
Steely
Jan 30, 2015 Steely added it
FALSE
Felix Marwick
Apr 06, 2012 Felix Marwick rated it it was amazing
It's hard to think in this day and age that someone in the 1970's could write a comedy about apartheid in South Africa. This is a masterful piece of satire that neatly skewers the absolute ridiculous and twisted nature that was the South African state.

Written while Sharpe was at the peak of his powers this novel is laugh out loud hilarious. Though I suspect it'll have more impact with older readers - those who were able to observe the farce and disgrace that was South Africa's apartheid regime
Sílvia
Dec 02, 2015 Sílvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hilariante, absurdo e muito inteligente
Joe
Jan 08, 2015 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Unsurprisingly second funniest book ever written
  • Monty: His Part In My Victory (War Memoirs, #3)
  • Fresh
  • The Alternative Hero
  • A Singular Man
  • The Cutting Edge Of Barney Thomson (Barney Thomson, #2)
  • The Virgin Soldiers
  • Lying With the Dead
  • Sunburn (Key West, #3)
  • A Year in the Scheisse: Getting to Know the Germans
  • Two Much
  • Morituri
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • This Other Eden
  • Flashman in the Great Game (The Flashman Papers, #5)
  • Night and the City
  • Big Red: Three Months on Board a Trident Nuclear Submarine
  • The Meanwhile Adventures
  • Never Cross a Vampire (Toby Peters, #5)
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur
More about Tom Sharpe...

Piemburg (2 books)
  • Riotous Assembly (Piemburg, #1)