Start by marking “Dead Space” as Want to Read:
Dead Space

Dead Space (Dead Space)

The prequel to the all-new blockbuster sci-fi survival horror game from Electronic Arts! On the distant mining colony of Aegis VII, something strange and alien lurks beneath the surface... a mysterious artifact that brings nothing but trouble to the isolated workforce. As the arrival of the famous planetcracker ship Ishimura fast approaches, security officer Bram Neumann f ...more
Published December 2nd 2008 by Image Comics

Halo by Eric S. NylundAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenAssassin's Creed by Oliver Bowden
Video Game Novels/Trades
50th out of 246 books — 274 voters
Locke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanUzumaki, Vol. 1 by Junji ItoHellboy, Vol. 1 by Mike Mignola
Best Horror Comics/Graphic Novels!
88th out of 272 books — 237 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 06, 2009 Gina rated it did not like it
There is a reason graphic novels and video games about rapidly proliferating slime that morphs into blood sucking winged skeletons with scythes for hands and shivs for teeth are mostly written by men. That's because women fight rapidly proliferating slime in shower stalls around the world each week and in their spare time from scrubbing prefer stories about, say, catching rich husbands who can afford to pay house help to fight the slime in their newlywed's stead.

I can't believe I not only sought
Jan 24, 2011 Zarkseven rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dead Space Fans, horror fans
The first Dead Space graphic novel is a collection of Dead Space comic issues #1-6. It is a prequel to the original Dead Space video game that was released in 2008.

The story flows along at a good pace, and the artwork by Ben Templesmith is complimentary to the story but easy to follow (unlike the art for the second graphic novel, Dead Space: Salvage - see my review). The plot wraps things up well for this segment of the Dead Space story, and sets up the 1st game well. Still, if thing is your onl
Tyler Dykema
Dec 06, 2012 Tyler Dykema rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the game, fans of horror
Short, but decent read for comic fans of the sci-fi/horror persuasion.

I actually just picked up the Dead Space game for the Xbox 360 and heard that this was a prequel to it, so I quick ran through this and the animated film, Dead Space: Downfall in order to fully prepare for my first playthrough. It was worth it because of the brief backstory of how the Ishimura got into the shape it is in at the beginning of the game.

The comic is in full color which is always great. The artwork is good, but s
I don't know much about the Dead Space setting so I thought I'd read it up a bit. I've played the game a bit, but given that I usually don't play and don't quite enjoy shooters in general, I couldn't make myself play even halfway through.

The artwork and the style (warning, contains some strong language, in case this irks you) is fitting to the dark and gory nature of the setting. I found myself reading it from cover to cover in one sitting, despite originally telling myself that I'll just read a
Mar 19, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A unique comic by the writer of 40 Days of Night. This was originally done as an animated comic (and probably the best animated comic I've seen to date). You can find it online for free and its well worth your time.

The content is great and it brings up many issues of faith and God's existence. The characters vary from religious zealots, to extreme atheists, and that guy who has no clue about which end to sit on. I think by the end you'll really be rethinking some of the old saying you've heard
Erika Schoeps
Feb 19, 2014 Erika Schoeps rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of Anthony Johnston already, and this graphic novel did not disappoint. I'm completely in love with the artwork. There's a constant focus on movement and motion, and the splatter effects are gorgeous. I'd read this book even if the story was horrible. But it isn't. The story can get REALLY complicated, but that's okay, because I'll definitely come back for a re-read, or just purchase this graphic novel. If you're an art geek, a graphic novel geek, PICK THIS UP.
Feb 02, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
This graphic novel is based on a video game of which, because I have not played it, I have little knowledge. As a result, I enjoyed reading this. Plot wise, it wasn't fantastic: Space horror where a bacteria uses dead bodies as a host to kill living people. What shined, as it always does, is Ben Templesmith's art.
May 23, 2014 Iman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Cool graphic drawings of the aliens and the thrill was pretty sick. But characters resembled each other wayyy too much. The only sure fire way to distinguish between two of the doctors was by hairstyle. Not good. And sometimes too many people in one frame made for a confusing context of where the viewer was supposed to be stood. I think it would have benefitted from being a longer novel, since deeper issues were touched upon but never really developed. Overall an alright graphic novel. As a firs ...more
Dec 26, 2008 Devowasright rated it really liked it
the plot line is a bit similar to Aliens, and it is the backstory to a video game. be that as it may, the things that ben templesmith draws are by far the effing creepiest things i have ever seen. worth reading for that alone.
Jan 12, 2015 Joel rated it liked it
It's a great set up/backstory for the first Dead Space game and a capably-told story of the Aegis VII incident. It's definitely solidified my intention to replay the whole trilogy.
Four stars for the art, three stars for the plot, which was sort of "meh," and has been done and re-done. A good read though, if you want to be spooked out at 2 AM :)
All-powerful Ra
Jun 25, 2013 All-powerful Ra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, especially if you're played the game. It gives all the insight you could want into what went down on the planet before spreading to the Ishimura.
Logan Morgan
Sep 30, 2009 Logan Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jack Wright
Coming out of reading the two novels and then this comic, I think I was a little underwhelmed. I liked reading the character's interior monologues and the omnipresent descriptions from the novel and I felt that I missed those in the comic, although I understand that that doesn't work as well in this medium.

I liked some of the character art as well, but at times I wasn't sure if I was looking at a new character or a slightly more abstract rendering of a character that we were already introduced t
Jan 23, 2015 Lindsey.parks rated it really liked it
Honestly there isn't a lot of substance here as far as the lore goes, but the weird, yet compelling, art style is great. Just a glimpse into what happened before the game. If you love Dead Space you can't really go wrong with this, just don't expect much.
Jacob Gall
i like the coloring and detail art that they put in this. the ship is slowly "falling apart" things are starting to go bad and in the end only one would survive and that would be issac.
Nov 20, 2015 EtherealDarkness rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dead Space fans
While the issues needed a little more artistic work into them, the "Dead Space" comic books are a fun read, and will get you pumped for the actual game.
May 01, 2015 Sam rated it liked it
Cool art, the plot is yet another zombie virus from out of space thing. It's the prequel to a video game...
Andy Schwartz
Feb 01, 2015 Andy Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Couldn't put it down. Amazing art. Engaging story. Fits in with the game narrative perfectly.
Jun 20, 2015 Ivanhoe rated it liked it
Shelves: videogames
Not what i was expecting, but a nice read to kill time D:
Feb 11, 2016 Kevin added it
Jan 14, 2014 Ernest rated it it was ok
This atmospheric graphic novel is based on the third-person survival shooter horror game of the same name. Not having played the game, I cannot comment on how well it follows the source material. As a standalone work, the dark colours and haunting look are particular features in providing for an atmospheric, almost moody, science-fiction mystery/thriller with religious overtones, but I found the payoff disappointing. Others may love this work, but I cannot say that I did.
Mark Desrosiers
Apr 20, 2010 Mark Desrosiers rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I read this because I love Ben Templesmith, and he's in top form here as usual, lots of sick twisted splashes of gore inter-sliced with sympathetic almost cartoony faces. But the plot is basically a rehash of zombie & Alien fear constructs (albeit with an interesting Scientology backdrop). Spaceship gets contaminated by some DNA-munching being that eats dead people turning them into gory puppets. Only one survives. It's based on a video game, which I've never played.
I checked this book out from my local library, hoping to be scared and enjoy a little more knowledge from the Dead Space universe. Instead, I got a clumpy collection of comics that offer up a bit of bland, unexciting banter, some Unitology theology, and a little glimpse of the world. I didn't care anything about any of the characters, nor was the plot that interesting. The artwork was dark and fit the story great, which is the only reason I gave this book 2 stars.
Krystl Louwagie
Apr 30, 2013 Krystl Louwagie rated it liked it
A high 3 stars, this was better than I ever thought it would be. Based on a game I'm not even familiar with (I'm currently reading almost any graphic novel the library here has, so, pickings are fairly slim). But, their was considerably more character development than I expected, and the sci-fi weaved with religious plot (and horror) plot was interesting.
Justin Lowmaster
May 11, 2011 Justin Lowmaster rated it liked it
Good intro to the game, or at least I think, as I've not had the pleasure of playing it. Art is really good, and the story is well crafted. If you aren't going to play game, it might leave you hanging a bit, but I know there are more books, and as I've not played game, I'm not sure where game picks up. It's a complete arc by itself, though.
Oct 28, 2013 Sonic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did not realize that this was video game inspired at first, but I tried not to let that ruin it for me.
On the one had I really love the style and art of Ben Templesmith, but I have to admit that reading this became kind of a chore through much of it, as I could not tell who was who, or what the f*ck was going on.
Oct 15, 2013 Greg rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Not sure why I picked this off of the shelf to read--I have no investment in the Dead Space games. Still, it was a decent little horror adventure; appropriate for October. I enjoyed the drawing style here.
Mar 16, 2013 Vicki-shawn rated it it was ok
Disappointing, the story was ok, but the art was just pure garbage. As an artist I was just a tad bit offended that someone was paid for the art in this book, as it was just awful. BANANA FINGERS!
Ryan McArthur
May 14, 2012 Ryan McArthur rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
The scratchy style of the comic really matches the content. This made me want to play the game, the plot is quite interesting, but the game scares me too much!
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Dead Space: Liberation
  • Gears of War: Volume One
  • Fable: the Balverine Order
  • Halo: Uprising
  • Dead Island
  • Mass Effect: Redemption
  • Halo: Blood Line
  • The Art of Halo
  • Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
  • Alan Wake
  • The Invisible Imam (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Deus Ex: Icarus Effect
  • Resistance: The Gathering Storm
  • Borderlands: The Fallen
  • Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth
  • Hell on Earth (Doom #2)
  • Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
Antony Johnston is an award-winning, New York Times bestselling author.

His graphic novel THE COLDEST CITY is being adapted into a film starring Charlize Theron. His epic series WASTELAND is one of only a handful of such longform comic stories in the medium. His first video game, DEAD SPACE, redefined the survival horror genre.

He lives and works in England.
More about Antony Johnston...

Dead Space (5 books)
  • Dead Space: Martyr (Dead Space, #1)
  • Dead Space Salvage