Start by marking “Blott On The Landscape” as Want to Read:
Blott On The Landscape

Blott On The Landscape

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,518 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
The landscape is flawless, the trees majestic, the flora and the fauna are right and proper, the whole is picturesquely typical of rural England at its best. Sir Giles, an MP of few principles and curius tastes, plots to destroy all this by building a motorway smack through it, to line his own pocket and at the same time to dispose of his wife, the capacious Lady Maude. Si ...more
Hardcover
Published October 7th 1999 by Secker (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Blott On The Landscape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blott On The Landscape

Leslie
Feb 18, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars for this audiobook edition. David Suchet was brilliant as the narrator; his different voices for the characters were so varied that at times it was hard to believe that they were all being done by the same person!

I found the humor in this often vulgar and yet never offensive. It was sort of a mish-mash of Benny Hill & P.G. Wodehouse -- the zany plot was very Wodehousian but the sex and the language was more Benny Hill. While that description sounds like something I would not enjoy
Andrew
Jul 14, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Sharpe to me is a cruel and cutting observer of the amazing absurdities of the British, not only did I have the joy of reading his work but I have also heard him speak many years ago when for some strange reason he visited our local library. Sadly now he has passed but some of the stories he could recount that he not only witnessed but in some cases actually were involved with make his stories seem mundane and sedentary.
But as for this book - well this was how I was introduced to Tom Sharpe
Peggy
Sep 27, 2007 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of British humour, and by British humour I mean truly horrifying things happening to people so vile that it's funny rather than off-putting, you have to read Tom Sharpe.

His first 2 books (Indecent Exposure and Riotous Assembly) are satires on the apartheid-era South African police force so biting they got Sharpe tossed out of the country.

Since then, he's turned his satiric gaze on the Brits, and the results are often laugh-out-loud funny.

Blott is an Italian gardener (who's not re
Celia Powell
Feb 06, 2009 Celia Powell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Sharpe gets compared to Wodehouse on the back of my copy of this novel - nothing like as subtle and witty, of course, but I suppose Wodehouse gets hauled out as a comparison for any British writer of satirical comedy. Blott on the Landscape is a decidedly crude, un-subtle but still very funny book about Lady Maude, her gardener Blott and philandering husband (on whom she takes a particularly vicious revenge later in the book). There's also plans for a motorway to be built through Lady Maude's ho ...more
Maria Thomarey
3,5 ακριβώς όπως το επώνυμο του συγγραφέα : sharp
Angrboda
Apr 08, 2015 Angrboda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was searching Audible for something interesting. I wanted something light and funny and happened across this author and thought, "hey, why not?"

Why not indeed!

Quite a complicated tale actually. I attempted to tell Husband what it was about and couldn't even think of where to begin.

It's a very funny book and I'll be having a go at others from this author in the future. The only thing that disappoints me is that the blurb here on GoodReads, which I assume is the same as on the book itself, actu
Richard Beasley
This is early warning of what happened later in Sharpe's career. The style is always on a knife edge - when it works (and it so often does in many other of his books) it is some of the finest humorous writing. But when it doesn't it is awful (Ancestral Vices and Vintage Stuff and after). This is on the cusp of awful, but just gets away with it.
Don't get me wrong, Tom Sharpe is one of my favourite writers and many of his books are amongst my favourites of all time.
Chris
Jan 05, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read years ago & watched t.v adaptation.

Mam & brother love TS books.
Fondest memories of mam laughing hysterically while trying to read out passages of various TS books to me..especially on the telephone!

Must read more Tom Sharpe!
Geoff Gander
I remember watching part of the BBC mini-series that is based on this book, and liking a few of Sharpe's novels (not all of them have aged well) I decided to pick this one up. There were a few amusing scenes, some witty dialogue, and I can definitely agree with those who say there is a Wodehousian flavour. Local politics is skewered nicely, and you can't have that without some blackmail. This is not Sharpe's best work ("Riotous Assembly", his darkly satirical critique of 1970s South Africa, is h ...more
Carol
Aug 04, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, 2015
Think back to the times of the old Ealing comedies and you land yourself in this book. It takes a good British farce and makes it into a major drama, where else in the world would you turn a stately home into a wildlife park in an attempt to stop a motorway being built.

In some ways it is a pre-cursor to the 1990's anti-road protests but played with far more old fashioned English style, based around power politics where decisions are as always made on the effects on the number of votes in the ne
Stuart Bone
Jul 13, 2016 Stuart Bone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: influences
'Blott on the Landscape' was probably the first humorous novel I ever read. I think it's much easier to get laughs on screen than in a book as there's visual humour and audible humour where an actor/comedian delivers a funny line. To laugh out loud when reading a humorous novel, therefore; shows what a great talent the author has and Tom Sharpe had that talent in spades.
His novels don't just have great storylines and characters but the settings, that may be unfamiliar to readers, are described s
Will Wraxall
Nov 09, 2012 Will Wraxall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blott on the Landscape was Tom Sharpe's fourth novel, and on appearances the first one not to be drawn directly from his own experience. As such, it doesn't quite hit the dizzy heights of, say, Riotous Assembly, but nevertheless still contains inspired comic scenes and characters, and in many ways solidified the template for Sharpe's books to come.

This is perhaps where the classic Sharpe archetypes for his English-located novels were codified for the first time; the dominant lady (Lady Maud), t
Karen
Jul 12, 2016 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
* 1000 novels everyone must read: the definitive list

Selected by the Guardian's Review team and a panel of expert judges, this list includes only novels – no memoirs, no short stories, no long poems – from any decade and in any language. Originally published in thematic supplements – love, crime, comedy, family and self, state of the nation, science fiction and fantasy, war and travel – they appear here for the first time in a single list.
Usfromdk
Reasonably funny with some classical Sharpe-ish (Sharpe-esque?) misunderstandings/misconstruals along the way, but I did not like how this one ended. Closer to four stars than two, and this is despite the fact that I actually didn't particularly like any of the main characters included (if you don't like reading about people who can be rather hard to sympathize with, you should probably give this one a miss).
Barry Lee
Oct 19, 2011 Barry Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book 20 years ago and having picked up a job lot of sharpe novels at a Car boot recently, I though it deserved another read. It is, of course, total farce; but I loved it. This time round, having seen the TV series, it's impossible not to hear the brilliant David Suchet read the words of Blott, the naturalised German/Italian/Jewish POW, or Geraldine James as the Rubinesque Lady Maud. But the book is far funnier than the screenplay, with more convoluted plots, more extrovert character ...more
John Barclay
Jul 22, 2016 John Barclay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun book, but some satire is dark and some is just pessimistic. Still, a lot of fun plot and play with the expectations of the reader. As is often true of this kind of satire the ending gets away from Sharpe and becomes farce and hysterical. Lots of laughs and lots of action.
Rory McKay
Sep 23, 2015 Rory McKay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud on the train funny.

Dribble of wee funny.

Aching jaw funny.

Uncomfortable, disturbed, looking half-away from the page funny.

Tom Sharpe is simply one of the funniest writers I have ever read, and I've read a lot of books.

A master of the art of schadenfreude - the art of laughing at someone else's misfortune.

So what more can I say?

Highly recommended.
G.
Nov 06, 2015 G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Never read a more brutal satire on the british politicians and their helpers within the police and military forces.
Mr. Sharpe apparently never liked "the authorities" and it shows. Still one of the funniest books I've ever read.
Daniel Burton-Rose
This one caught my eye as addressing a pre-cursor of the '90s anti-road protests in England. But it's mostly just a farce about business as usual power politics and a lousy marriage.
Sharon Eudy Neufeld
The first Sharpe book I ever read, it was a revelation. If you love to laugh, and you love eccentrics who stick to their guns no matter what, you can't help but love "Blott".
Veno
Jan 13, 2016 Veno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man eating lions and rhino's meet excavators meet Italian war prisoners meet corrupt members of British parliament and bureaucracy. Hilarious!
Shane
Jun 14, 2013 Shane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I really enjoyed this. I've read a couple of the Wilt novels before now but never did get round to reading this. I didn't even see the t.v. series either, so I came to it with a clear view as it were. I wasn't disappointed. There are a lot of novels that inspire reviews along the lines of 'laugh out loud' and so on but rarely do they actually deliver, but this one does. The characters are wonderfully English, even though one of them isn't, and simply draw you into their lives with such ease.

I r
Sue
Oct 01, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful book to read. Charm of the English countryside and the wit of a very good writer.
Joyce Lian
Aug 22, 2015 Joyce Lian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hahaha...a funny book,typical British crass and crude humor...reminds me of the 1955 movie,The Ladykillers. The book got more interesting upon the introduction of the wildlife park. That part about the asthmatic cows had me LOL.
Brett
Aug 07, 2014 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A funny book. There's not much substance to it, but it's funny and entertaining. 3.5 stars.
Matt Wilkie
Feb 20, 2015 Matt Wilkie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book and there was also a TV adaptation which was also very good.
T4bsF (Call me Flo)
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't watch the television series when it was on, but looking at the cast list, I think they are well chosen, with the exception of George Cole as Sir Giles - however, I'll reserve judgement until I've watched it. A definite "fun" book!
Jane Jago
Jun 26, 2016 Jane Jago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who needs a shot in the arm should probably read Blott. It kills me.
Booksy
Jan 10, 2015 Booksy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
An absolute masterpiece of social and political satire, eternally relevant and utterly absorbing.
  • Topper Takes a Trip
  • Puckoon
  • Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
  • The Harpole Report
  • Mister Johnson
Tom Sharpe was an English satirical author, born in London and educated at Lancing College and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. After National Service with the Royal Marines he moved to South Africa in 1951, doing social work and teaching in Natal, until deported in 1961.

His work in South Africa inspired the novels Riotous Assembly and Indecent Exposure. From 1963 until 1972 he was a History lectur
More about Tom Sharpe...