Start by marking “The Complete Lyrics 1978-2007” as Want to Read:
The Complete Lyrics 1978-2007

The Complete Lyrics 1978-2007

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Spanning Nick Cave's entire career, from his writing for The Birthday Party, through highly acclaimed albums like Murder Ballads, Henry's Dream and Abattoir Blues, up to his latest release, The Proposition, The Complete Lyrics 1978-2007 is a must for all fans of the dark, the beautiful and the defiant - for all the fans of the songs of Nick Cave.
Published 2007 by Penguin Books (first published September 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Lyrics 1978-2007, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Lyrics 1978-2007

Ian Pagan-Szary
RELEVANCE WARNING

This is not a review of the book.
My comments specifically relate to the use of a Nick Cave song in a scene in and on the soundtrack to the first Deathly Hallows film.

SEXUALITY CONTENT WARNING

I originally posted a version of my comments in a GR discussion about sexuality and Harry Potter.
If you are the sort of reader who thinks these two issues should never be associated with each other, please do not read on. I don't want to spoil your world view.

Sexuality, Adolescence and Harry
Morgane
I'm a huge Nick Cave fan. This book is flawless.

It also got me to revisit some albums I don't often listen to, like "The Firstborn Is Dead". The man is a genius. Genius, I say!
Jen
If you're interested in reading the lyrics to every song Nick Cave has written, this book has you covered.

It also includes the transcript from his "The Secret Life of the Love Song" lecture, which puts the bulk of his works in a new light. To Cave, love songs are as much (or moreso) sad, sorrowful songs because all love ends. You can't have the positive without the negative; this is the prevading thought that colors his lyrics, tinging even his sweetest lyrics with melancholy and even hatred. P
Carmilla Voiez
An amazing book for any Nick Cave fan. I had the updated copy with over 500 pages but couldn't see it on Goodreads. The rhythm of musical lyrics and the intricate beauty of poetry. A love song as a message to God. I'll dip back into this for years to come.
Jade
Oct 02, 2012 Jade rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I started this in July 2009...and I read a lot. I feel bad giving this a two as some of the lyrics within this book are the most beautiful I've ever read, but as a whole I found it hard to read and couldn't grasp what the hell Nick was going on about at times. I think this would have been a lot easier if I was more familiar with his work, rather than knowing the basics. My favourites, which I would gladly read over and over are: Far From Me, Faraway So Close!, Where the Wild Roses Grow and Into ...more
Niko
This book is a treasure for any Nick Cave fan. Allthough with some flaws ( so far I found them in two lyrics, guess there are more) it really is a must have for anyone who appriciate Cave and his work. A good thing when you get this book is, that it makes you listen to the albums that were on a side track for a while.
Victoria Rose
Nick Cave is a fantastic lyricist, and this book is a great one for reading as you listen to his songs. For me at least, reading the words as he croons them take his lyrics to a whole new level, and made me appreciate them a lot more. The only reason this is missing a star is because the Bad Seeds' latest album, Dig Lazarus Dig, isn't included. Look out for a new edition sometime in the future though!
Shelley
Brilliant collection of Cave's lyrics, as well as a lecture of his from 2009 on the Love Song.
Adam
What could be better? - It's got all the lyrics from 'Prayers on Fire' to the first Grinderman album, plus Cave's lecture on 'The Secret Life of the Love Song', and has an introduction by Will Self. Buy this now.
VAle
Non si può far altro che arrendersi alla poesia di Nick Cave
elliot leven
elliot leven marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Wolfie
Wolfie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Katrien Keyser
Katrien Keyser marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Jennifer Lewis
Jennifer Lewis marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Nicole McGrath
Nicole McGrath marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Liam Wilkinson
Liam Wilkinson is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
Delmy Alvarenga
Delmy Alvarenga marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Kate Taylor
Kate Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
  • Nico: Songs They Never Play on the Radio
  • Lyrics: 1962-2001
  • Bad Seed: The Biography of Nick Cave
  • Words and Music: A History of Pop in the Shape of a City
  • Anglo-Saxon Poetry (Everyman's Library)
  • Punk Rock: An Oral History
  • The Dream of the Rood
  • Devil Sent the Rain: Music and Writing in Desperate America
  • A History of Opera
  • Poesie d'amore
  • This Must Be the Place: The Adventures of Talking Heads in the Twentieth Century
Nicholas Edward Cave is an Australian musician, songwriter, author, screenwriter, and occasional actor. He is best known for his work in the rock band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and his fascination with American music and its roots. He has a reputation, which he disowns, for singing dark, brooding songs which some listeners regard as depressing. His music is characterised by intensity, high ener ...more
More about Nick Cave...
The Death of Bunny Munro And the Ass Saw the Angel King Ink King Ink II The Secret Life of the Love Song and The Flesh Made Word: Two Lectures by Nick Cave (King Mob Spoken Word CDs)

“I don't believe in an interventionist God
But I know, darling, that you do
But if I did I would kneel down and ask Him
Not to intervene when it came to you
Not to touch a hair on your head
To leave you as you are
And if He felt He had to direct you
Then direct you into my arms

Into my arms

And I don't believe in the existence of angels
But looking at you I wonder if that's true
But if I did I would summon them together
And ask them to watch over you
To each burn a candle for you
To make bright and clear your path
And to walk, like Christ, in grace and love
And guide you into my arms

And I believe in Love
And I know that you do too
And I believe in some kind of path
That we can walk down, me and you
So keep your candlew burning
And make her journey bright and pure
That she will keep returning
Always and evermore