The Complete Lyrics 1978-2007

The Complete Lyrics 1978-2007

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Spanning Nick Cave's entire career, from his writing for The Birthday Party, through highly acclaimed albums like Murder Ballads, Henry's Dream and Abattoir Blues, up to his latest release, The Proposition, The Complete Lyrics 1978-2007 is a must for all fans of the dark, the beautiful and the defiant - for all the fans of the songs of Nick Cave.
Published 2007 by Penguin Books (first published September 1997)

Ian [Paganus de] Graye
RELEVANCE WARNING

This is not a review of the book.
My comments specifically relate to the use of a Nick Cave song in a scene in and on the soundtrack to the first Deathly Hallows film.

SEXUALITY CONTENT WARNING

I originally posted a version of my comments in a GR discussion about sexuality and Harry Potter.
If you are the sort of reader who thinks these two issues should never be associated with each other, please do not read on. I don't want to spoil your world view.

Sexuality, Adolescence and Harry...more
Jen
If you're interested in reading the lyrics to every song Nick Cave has written, this book has you covered.

It also includes the transcript from his "The Secret Life of the Love Song" lecture, which puts the bulk of his works in a new light. To Cave, love songs are as much (or moreso) sad, sorrowful songs because all love ends. You can't have the positive without the negative; this is the prevading thought that colors his lyrics, tinging even his sweetest lyrics with melancholy and even hatred. P...more
Jade
Oct 02, 2012 Jade rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I started this in July 2009...and I read a lot. I feel bad giving this a two as some of the lyrics within this book are the most beautiful I've ever read, but as a whole I found it hard to read and couldn't grasp what the hell Nick was going on about at times. I think this would have been a lot easier if I was more familiar with his work, rather than knowing the basics. My favourites, which I would gladly read over and over are: Far From Me, Faraway So Close!, Where the Wild Roses Grow and Into...more
Niko
This book is a treasure for any Nick Cave fan. Allthough with some flaws ( so far I found them in two lyrics, guess there are more) it really is a must have for anyone who appriciate Cave and his work. A good thing when you get this book is, that it makes you listen to the albums that were on a side track for a while.
Victoria Rose
Nick Cave is a fantastic lyricist, and this book is a great one for reading as you listen to his songs. For me at least, reading the words as he croons them take his lyrics to a whole new level, and made me appreciate them a lot more. The only reason this is missing a star is because the Bad Seeds' latest album, Dig Lazarus Dig, isn't included. Look out for a new edition sometime in the future though!
Shelley
Brilliant collection of Cave's lyrics, as well as a lecture of his from 2009 on the Love Song.
Adam
What could be better? - It's got all the lyrics from 'Prayers on Fire' to the first Grinderman album, plus Cave's lecture on 'The Secret Life of the Love Song', and has an introduction by Will Self. Buy this now.
VAle
Non si può far altro che arrendersi alla poesia di Nick Cave
Julio Santos
Julio Santos marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Morgane
Morgane is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Thomas Janssen
Thomas Janssen is currently reading it
Apr 01, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Chris Reed
Chris Reed marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Viktoria Stolybko
Viktoria Stolybko marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Vladimir Ćosić
Vladimir Ćosić marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Mara Dona
Mara Dona marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Lukas Valentin
Lukas Valentin marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Kasia
Kasia marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Nicholas Edward Cave is an Australian musician, songwriter, author, screenwriter, and occasional actor. He is best known for his work in the rock band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and his fascination with American music and its roots. He has a reputation, which he disowns, for singing dark, brooding songs which some listeners regard as depressing. His music is characterised by intensity, high ener...more
More about Nick Cave...
The Death of Bunny Munro And the Ass Saw the Angel King Ink King Ink II The Secret Life of the Love Song and The Flesh Made Word: Two Lectures by Nick Cave (King Mob Spoken Word CDs)

“I don't believe in an interventionist God
But I know, darling, that you do
But if I did I would kneel down and ask Him
Not to intervene when it came to you
Not to touch a hair on your head
To leave you as you are
And if He felt He had to direct you
Then direct you into my arms

Into my arms

And I don't believe in the existence of angels
But looking at you I wonder if that's true
But if I did I would summon them together
And ask them to watch over you
To each burn a candle for you
To make bright and clear your path
And to walk, like Christ, in grace and love
And guide you into my arms

And I believe in Love
And I know that you do too
And I believe in some kind of path
That we can walk down, me and you
So keep your candlew burning
And make her journey bright and pure
That she will keep returning
Always and evermore

29 likes
“You searched through all my poets,
From Sappho through to Auden,
I saw the book fall from your hands,
As you slowly died of boredom.”
14 likes