Start by marking “False Pretenses” as Want to Read:
False Pretenses
Preview

False Pretenses

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,152 ratings  ·  45 reviews
COULTER ?S first contemporary suspense novel

First published in 1988, False Pretenses is the explosive story of how one woman survives the destruction of her perfect life?and the intentions of three mysterious men.
Published March 1st 2000 by Signet (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about False Pretenses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Pretenses

Nikki Nielsen
I picked this book up at a yard sale at the recommendation of the woman selling it. Actually, she didn't want to sell her Catherine Coulter books but her husband told her she was going to sell them none the less. They had an argument about it right there in front of everyone at the yard sale. Very entertaining. She was shouting how much she loves 'Mrs. Coulter' and that she had read all the books repeatedly. He rolled his eyes and told her if she had read them that many times she should have the ...more
Anita
This is the first romantic-suspense that Catherine Coulter wrote. It is quite good, but the plot reads more like Catherine Coulter channeling Danielle Steel. Not at all my type of read. I'm not into "poor me, whatever shall I do?" heroines. But, it is very good and except for some historical problems (dinner on top of the World Trade Center) the book stands the test of time well.

Concert pianist Elizabeth Carleton is on trial for the murder of her insanely wealthy older husband. A stranger comes
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; SEPT 2013: 2 stars for what I managed to read
Narrators: Renee Raudmann & Paul Constanzo

I can't even remember what I read/listened to, just that what little I did get through was nowhere as good as a Sandra Brown or Linda Howard. It was actually so boring that even though there are many romantic thrillers from the late 80s and the 90s which are comfort reads, I now realize why Coulter rarely pops up on my radar.

I've tried a couple of her FBI books and found them wanting,
Uwe
way off .........everything, marriage with a guy who is 37 years older, a will where she gets an imperium etc. etc. etc. and than she starts to take over ....hmmm...with help of the lawyer friend ........oh man, tooo much and I stopped reading in the first quarter !
Susan
Good mystery. I had a little bit of a hard time getting started on it - almost put it down several times. It's about the world or rich and elite business people, one that I can't really relate to, but eventually I got hooked. It is well written and entertaining and ends well.
Marti
After I started reading this book, I thought, I don't really care what happens to rich people, but the heroine was somewhat interesting, so I continued. Elizabeth Carleton was a professional classic pianist married to an older wealthy man, whom she was accused of murdering. Once acquitted, she takes over running the company, but all the family hates her. However, there are several men who seem to love her at first, before their motives are revealed. Will she ever find happiness? Will the real mu ...more
Alexis
free bookshelf beach read... pretty much soap opera nonsense
Cynthia
This one was hard to put down.
Donna
PREDICTABLE. Boring.
Dpic
Feb 05, 2014 Dpic added it
good
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Elizabeth is a classic pianist who is acquitted of killing her wealthy older husband. Is this inspired by news?

As a romantic suspense, it did have me turning the pages. It wasn't too much of a surprise ending. Some of the situations required suspending belief - like a professional musician becoming a business person and making it successful. That is totally not believable. I think I prefer Ms. Coulter's romantic suspense books.
Beth
Lacy
I had a hard time getting into this book and had to force myself to keep reading. At first the characters were very one dimensional, I felt nothing, and could care less about what happened. After about 130 pages things started to get good and crazy. From then on the pace was faster, the story was more interesting, and I wanted to see what would happen. There are a lot of crazy characters in this book!
Michelle
Does every quote need to include a name? It got very old, very fast that every single utterance, even in coversations between two people or in lines that were attributed to a character, also contained the name of the person being spoken to. I think seeing the name Elizabeth a trillion times on each page just got to me.

Other than that, a fine read. Dated and obvious, but interesting.
Maura
It was good as far as suspense books go... I wouldn't read it again. Much like Judith McNaught's books, I don't care for reading about the rich, famous and pretentious. So because of the setting and characters, I was pretty much already not going to like the book that much. But for plot, entertainment value, etc. I'd say it was pretty good.
Pr Latta
I believe this was Coulter's first "contemporary" romance. You have to be able to buy in to the premise that a musician "off the street" could quickly take control of a multinational conglomerate -- then drift away... I wasn't as bothered by "datedness" as the Publisher's Weekly reviewer.
Emily
I liked the book- there were a lot of twists and turns and the ending was certainly not what I was expecting.
The constant spelling and grammar errors were really annoying.
Vicki Bishop
Despite being published in 1988 I liked it and did not find it all that dated. It has an interesting plot and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the next to the last page.
Shea
This book had an interesting premise and I enjoy Coulter's style because she has a sense of humor as well as a talent for romantic suspense.
Rebecca
May 15, 2007 Rebecca rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beach goers
Shelves: mystery
Given to me by my aunt - perfect for reading while on airplanes or at the beach. Wealthy, widowed and accused of murder - you get the picture.
Jason
Story line read like a soap opera, and I found it to be highly unbelievable at certain junctures, but an entertaining read nonetheless...
Shauna
Too much like a soap opera. The protagonist was really hard to like. A good beach read to be entertain you when you can't sleep.
Lee
When the book begins with the defendant getting an alibi for someone she's never met before, it's a great start in my estimation.
Michelle
just ok in my book that means do not take the time to read it as there are so many other good ones out there.
Susan
Mystery, suspense, drama, sex, romance, adventure, money...what's not to like? Fast paced, interesting book.
Mary
young woman accused of killing her husband with a silver ice pic, pretty good once into it.
Tiffany
kept me guessing for a lot of the book. Didnt totally love the characters, but well written
Margaret Pagnotta
It was fun to read a book based in NYC when I was on my way there. Engaging and easy to read.
Karen Mendoza
amazing and mysterious book. it surprises you with every turn of the page.
  • Impulse
  • To Santa With Love
  • The Cabin (Carriage House, #2)
  • High Tide
  • Gift of Fire (Gift, #2)
  • The Tiger Prince
  • Whisper to Me of Love
  • The First Crush is the Deepest (Girls Just Want to Have Fun #1)
  • Whitehorse
  • An Unfinished Score
  • Girl on a Diamond Pedestal
  • Count Toussaint's Baby
  • Desire in Disguise
  • No Way Home
  • The Harder They Fall (Loveswept)
  • The Secret Sister
  • The Wrong Side of Dead (Sweet Justice, #2)
  • Tell Me Why
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10)