Start by marking “The Deception (Baron, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Deception (Baron, #3)

The Deception (Baron #3)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  942 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The complete revamping of Catherine Coulter's 1983 Signet Regency, An Intimate Deception, led to this: a full-bodied historical romance with a new beginning and a new ending.
Mass Market Paperback, Original Title "An Intimate Deception", 384 pages
Published November 4th 2003 by Signet (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deception

Rishi Diams
May 15, 2009 Rishi Diams rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Made it to page 110. This book was incredibly difficult to read, with characters often reacting to things that the reader never sees happen. The hero is a lecher and - I'm guessing - that the heroine's problems would be easily solved if she only confided in him.
Diane Wachter
The Deception, Baron Series Bk 3, Catherine Coulter, HB-B @ 2001, 11/03. When Bonaparte sympathisers capture her father, Evangeline deBeauChamps must befriend and spy on her dead English cousin's widower husband, get him to take her in as nanny to his young son, so that she can help spy's land on British soil. To insure that she does this, the kidnappers threaten to kill her father, and the young boy. Disappointing and far-fetched.
Conchetta San filippo
Not bad

This book was actually quite good. I can't praise some of her other works but giving credit where credit is due, the deception was a pleasant read.
Ichy Ok
Nov 09, 2015 Ichy Ok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le doy 5 estrellas porque aunque lo leí hace muchísimos años en ese momento me enamoró. Ahora probablemente no me habría enganchado de la misma manera.
Lynne Tull
Aug 28, 2011 Lynne Tull rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Well, "The Offer", was tedious for the first half. Now, I can say "The Deception" was tedious for the second half. As much as I liked all of the characters in this series, their stories seemed to drag on and on. This was a rewrite of the its first publication. I found it lacking...for one thing, nothing more about the cat races which is touted on the back cover. Also,Charles' story from "The Offer" was left hanging. Ms. Coulter's website doesn't give any information about the stories and how the ...more
Kassie
May 14, 2014 Kassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book...great deception...until it was over....good story line...liked the characters.
S Miller
Used - Good (Some spine creases)
M.A. Levi
Aug 09, 2011 M.A. Levi rated it really liked it
"The Deception" is a perfect title to this wonderful story. The plot kept you flipping through the pages,wondering when she'll spill her sceret to Her Duke. All the "Good" Characters were wonderful, and the "Bad" Characters (the villans) just as beautifuly written. It was fusturating to say the least, but what a Great Read. This book is a branch off the other books "The Offer" and "The wild Baron". Oh and the best Part about her books.. Within all the Violence and deceving, True love Conqures al ...more
Annette Meier
Mar 02, 2014 Annette Meier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story and adventure, not to mention the steamy romance too!
Ana Apostolova
Jul 03, 2014 Ana Apostolova rated it it was amazing
Honestly THE best book from the series!!!
Danielle
Jan 31, 2016 Danielle rated it did not like it
Love the author just not historical type romance reading. Bores me to sleep.
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right
One of the first romance novels I read without having to sneak them from my mother! A cousin let me borrow this one and it was good. I didn't realize how much of a flavor of the Scarlet Pimpernel it had until much later in my life after reading the Baroness' work.

Interesting plot, nice sexual tension with a good 'release', and a decent historical fiction romance.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Ah, during my historical years. Ms. Coulter is a favourite of mine for historical romances. I've read pretty much every single book of hers. They all sort of blend together with the same formula. Damsel in distress is saved by white knight. White Knight's heart is moved by the love of a woman. Romantic and sweet.
Elizabethrose
May 30, 2016 Elizabethrose rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book of the series. I loved all the suspense and spies. The duke of course is amazing and quite funny. I loved the banter between him and Evangeline. Of course little Edmund was adorable and I wish Catherine Coulter had a book about Drew and Felecia cause that would be hilarious
Mar 28, 2012 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
I'm not a fan of stories that revolve around faux moral dilemmas: "can I do this evil thing in order to save a loved one's life?" (See also The Hunger Games) Dying for a friend is the ultimate expression of love; sinning for a friend is sick and twisted, just as wrong as sinning for any other reason.
Lady of the Lake
I like Catherine Coulter and her brand of humor that she gives to her characters. Which may or may not seem appropriate for people of that time in history. But having first "heard" a CC book read wonderfully by Ann Flosnic I have come to enjoy her type of character very much.
Dawn
May 12, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Light reading romance with the best plot of the series. The conversation did not fit the times in the book, but the characters were likable. English versus French intrigue to bring Napoleon back to power. Predictable ending.
Colette
Lots of intrigue, majorly slow in places, I did a lot of skimming over some of the chapters. Sometimes there's only so much sexual angst you can read.
Mary Vilarino
Oct 14, 2012 Mary Vilarino rated it did not like it
Marginally better than the Countess. But only just. The characters were either black or white and totally unbelievable. In some cases downright stupid.
Lesli
May 27, 2013 Lesli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 1998
Typical historical. Light, easy read. CC brings back some of her characters from other novels. I'm still wondering about those cat races.
Yorda
Oct 13, 2012 Yorda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-mine
Sencillo y sin muchas pretensiones, pero divertido, consiguiendo dejarte en tensión de principio a fin.
Noemia
Aug 02, 2013 Noemia rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
The last in the series and like the others not a very interesting story....5/10
Coralie
Jul 09, 2009 Coralie rated it it was ok
this was my 2nd book by her & I really don't care for her stories.
Amanda Williams
Jun 18, 2013 Amanda Williams rated it liked it
I had read this once before, but I still enjoyed it.
Youse
Nov 10, 2013 Youse rated it it was amazing
i liked it
its one of the awsomest book i have ever read
Jane Davis
Enjoyed it better listening than reading.
Cassandra
Okay, but not one of her best!
Deepak Pandey
May 17, 2013 Deepak Pandey rated it really liked it
good book to read once ..
Vicki Grinstead
Nov 03, 2013 Vicki Grinstead rated it liked it
Horrible could not finish.
Carol Anderson
Jul 25, 2013 Carol Anderson rated it really liked it
The Baron Novels #3
  • Knight of Fire (Fire, #2)
  • The Bridegroom (Captive Hearts, #4)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Dream Lover
  • Devotion (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Impulse
  • In the Shadow of Midnight (Robin Hood, #2)
  • Splendor
  • Virtue (V, #2)
  • My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #8)
  • A Gentle Feuding
  • Stolen Kisses
  • A Season For Scandal: Tangled Reins & Fair Juno
  • The Heiress (Montgomery/Taggart, #11)
  • Petals on the River

Baron (3 books)
  • The Wild Baron (Baron, #1)
  • The Offer (Baron, #2)