Start by marking “Unafraid: A Novel of the Possible” as Want to Read:
Unafraid: A Novel of the Possible

Unafraid: A Novel of the Possible

Two dates burn fiercely in the memory of millions of Americans: November 22, 1963 and September 11, 2001. These two tragedies bracket Unafraid, a story grounded in a simple question: what if the fatal bullet fired on that sunny Dallas afternoon had veered three inches off target?Unafraid lays out a compelling answer, rich with the public adventures and private dramas of ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by L&R Publishing (first published February 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Unafraid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unafraid

Lavonne
Unafraid is an alternate history novel, in which JFK does not succumb to the sniper’s bullet in Dallas. It is truly a fairy tale, with JFK starring as Superman, with the amazing ability to see far into the future and in his fictional second term, to lay the groundwork to solve every single major crisis the world is suffering from today. Rounding out his Justice League are Bobby Kennedy as Vice President and MLK as Secretary of State. JFK turns the world on its ear, by tossing out traditional ...more
Michael J. Toro
May 12, 2012 Michael J. Toro rated it it was ok
Speculative history is replaced by subjective fantasy in Unafraid; the Kennedys more the stuff of a worshipful imagination than of a stark reality. While the author describes the radical deeds and far-reaching accomplishments of this hypothetical JFK with pizazz (many of us can't help but cheer it along), what might have been isn't necessarily what would have been. However, Golden approaches the subject as if the fanciful promise of Camelot was an open-and-shut, veritable state of affairs; that ...more
Jeff Golden
Sep 30, 2013 Jeff Golden added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own-books
Why, I thought it was splendid, an invigorating picture of what was possible in the late 20th century and what STILL IS. That's why I wrote it.

As we approach the 20th anniversary of JFK's assassination, I earnestly hope that people of an age to remember just where when they heard the news, whose sense of politics and the world fundamentally changed at that moment -- and people who have despaired at much of America's history since then -- will read a short excerpt or two at www.unafraidthebook.co
Kate
May 19, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
I struggled to finish this book. It includes some novel ideas and some great critical thinking politically, but I expected more. I wanted the book not to cover only the 8 years of the Kennedy presidency. Obviously, 9/11 never occurred in this book due to earlier efforts at peace by JFK, but there was too much omitted. At the end, it seemed the author got tired of writing and just quit. Although I was often bored during the reading of this book, there were just not enough of the fictionalized ...more
Victoria Laskowski
This is a fascinating book. Although it is occasionally wonkish, it develops a very realistic of view of what might have happened if Kennedy had survived on Nov 22. This is not a happily ever after story - there are some real shockers that will leave one shaken (though you can sort of see them coming a few pages before...). But it does show the world veering in a very different direction from where we are now.
Leslie
Dec 10, 2013 Leslie added it
I enjoyed the story - I had just finished "11/22/63" by Stephen King which is also an alternate story model to the same historic event. I can definitely see where JFK's assassination had a huge impact on our world (not that this was ever in question). It was really an interesting perspective from Caroline's point of view. I enjoyed it!
Melissa Gerson
Aug 11, 2013 Melissa Gerson rated it it was amazing
For anyone who loves JFK, this book is absolutely for you. It's an alternate history..."What would happen if JFK lived". Yes, at times it's a little bit far fetched. So if you're an American History snob, you may scoff at some of the alt history (RFK being VP, MLK Jr, becoming Secretary of State). But if you are all about JFK, then you should be all about this book!
Bob
Jun 27, 2016 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most interesting speculation on how American (and world) history might have unfolded had JFK not died in Dallas in November 1963. Plausible scenarios are dealt with in retrospect, filtered through the eyes of an adult Caroline Kennedy. As a "what-if?" novel, this one's well worth your time.
Lauri
Nov 18, 2012 Lauri rated it really liked it
Rather interesting to contemplate what if politics worked the way they should. Presents a forward thinking point of view on foreign policy that while pure fiction would be interesting to see put into practice - especially in the middle east.
lynn
Jul 28, 2015 lynn rated it it was amazing
Those of us who grow up in the 60's all remember where we were when JFK was shot. And often speak of where this country might have headed if things had been different. Well, this novel deals with just that. Kind of amazing from the very first page to realize what might have been!
Mary Frances
Aug 03, 2016 Mary Frances rated it really liked it
I was surprised at how much I liked this book. It gets a little wonky but there's enough in the clever alternate history to keep the reader engaged. Framing story is nicely done though I have some quibbles with it. I found the ending interesting.
Susan Engelhardt
Jan 27, 2014 Susan Engelhardt rated it it was amazing
As a JFK "enthusiast" I truly enjoyed this alternate history book. Made me think about our country's history in the 1960s and all the what if's and what could of been's if the trip to Dallas would have had a different outcome. Good read for sure.
Justin Litke
Jan 15, 2015 Justin Litke rated it liked it
I received the book as part of a giveaway. Not really what I expected to be honest. I found myself wishing there was a scene where the assassination was described in more detail. It was okay, but I didn't really care for the way the story was told.
Susan
Aug 20, 2012 Susan marked it as to-read
Nice southern fellow from the bus (and UVM) recommended this. His daughter loved it and he was enjoying as well.
CatBookMom
Jan 09, 2016 CatBookMom marked it as tbr-cbm-ebooks
I was in junior high when JFK was assassinated, and like thousands of others, am fascinated by the possibilites, the 'what-if's' he had survived.
H.B. Taylor
Sep 20, 2012 H.B. Taylor rated it liked it
It was an interesting read. It may have too much of a look back through the perspective of 21st-century sensibilities, but it made my think.
Eirik Newth
Eirik Newth rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Michelle Moore
Oct 03, 2012 Michelle Moore rated it it was amazing
best historical fiction I've read in a while, issues are still relevant today
Paul Hokanson
Paul Hokanson rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Jackie Keating
Jackie Keating rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2015
Mary Nice
Mary Nice rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2014
Bill Hall
Bill Hall rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2010
Michael Patrick
Michael Patrick rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Dan Finkelman
Dan Finkelman rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Francine
Francine rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2016
Christin Weber
Christin Weber rated it did not like it
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Kennedy Endeavor (The Presidential Series, #2)
  • The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
  • Devil's Acre: A Russian Novel
  • Jackie My Obsession
  • Ernie's Ark
  • The Dandelion Insurrection: Love and Revolution
  • Morning's Journey (The Dragon's Dove Chronicles, #2)
  • Men and Their Whims
  • The iCandidate (Michael Bennit, #1)
  • The Summer of Long Knives
  • Forget Me Not: A Memoir
  • Fallen Hopes, Taken Dreams
  • Dear Mrs. Kennedy: The World Shares Its Grief, Letters November 1963
  • The Fisherman's Wife: The Gospel According to St. Peter's Spouse
Jeff Golden attended Harvard University as a National Scholar during the height of the Vietnam War and decided to swap the Ivy Halls for 20 acres in the backwoods of Oregon and a used chainsaw. He chronicled that journey in the book Watermelon Summer (Lippincott & Co, 1971). After a decade building homes, guiding whitewater river trips, and working in the forests of the Cascade Mountains, Jeff ...more
More about Jeff Golden...