Start by marking “Scary Stories Treasury” as Want to Read:
Scary Stories Treasury

Scary Stories Treasury (Scary Stories #1-3)

4.39  ·  Rating Details ·  4,785 Ratings  ·  253 Reviews

Schwartz's three best-selling collections of scary folklore -- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and Scary Stories 3 -- are made available in one book, each one in its complete form.

Reviews

"A wonderful collection of tales that range from creepy to silly to haunting. ...Gammell's drawings add just the right touch..." -- John Scies

Published June 1985 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Scary Stories Treasury, please sign up.

Megan
I had all three of Schwartz's Scary Stories books as a child, and remember reading them over and over. The tales are mostly re-tellings of classic urban legends. The stories are creepy, but what really made this book great were the disturbing images by Stephen Gammell. I remember staying up late reading these stories and staring at the images with a mixture of fascination and horror.

Seriously, pretend you're a ten year old girl for a second and just look at these.

Now an adult, I went in search
Harris
Ah, the memories. I recently picked up this omnibus of spooky favorites from childhood, including the three “Scary Stories” books by Alvin Schwartz “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark,” “More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark,” and “Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones” and read them for the first time in my adulthood. I really don’t know what about these dark, macabre, downright creepy tales fascinated me so much as a child; normally, I was terrified of anything remotely scary, having ...more
Andromeda M31
Sep 29, 2012 Andromeda M31 rated it really liked it
If you were born in the 80's, there's no way you escaped reading the Scary Stories books when you were young. This edition collects all three books, along with all those illustrations you remember!

I found the Treasury edition on sale while waiting for the DC to NY bus, and I had to have it. I've pulled it out at several black outs since then to scare my foreign national room mates who recognize some of the stories from versions in their home countries. And yes, they can still be scary to twenty
Amberle Husbands
I spent my parents' hard earned money at scholastic book fairs, as an elementary school kid, on all three of the individual "Scary Stories" collections. I was thrilled the other day when I saw this treasury in the bookstore, and couldn't resist bringing it home. It combines all three of the collections, and includes the amazing illustrations by Stephen Gammell that absolutely scared the bejeezus out of me as a child!

I have to admit, reading through the stories now, that even as a kid these must
Kyle
Jan 07, 2015 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 1: 4 stars
Book 2: 2 stars
Book 3: 3.5 stars

This was a nice trip down memory lane (I mean, as "nice" as scary stories go). I remember reading many of these stories when I was much younger, and coming back to read them all was such a treat. This illustrations are just as ghoulish, dark, sinister and macabre as I remember, and the stories equally so (although, of course, some are better than others).

I should mention that I wasn't at all frightened by any of these, seeing as how they were market
Alissette
Feb 25, 2009 Alissette rated it really liked it
MY favorite part of this book was when the girl went to sleep and the spiders had layed eggs on her face and by the time she woke up her faced was totally destroyed and now i know for a fact that the story was also true because many people had said they were and at that point i was really scared i read this book a year ago and i seemed to like it because it interested me and I kept reading it
Ellie
Mar 12, 2015 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The stories are alright, but let's not kid ourselves: the only reason we checked this book out when we were in elementary school was for the sick illustrations. Man, are they fantastic.
Legless Corpse
Not too long ago there was announcement that was made that stated Alvin Schwartz’s [god bless his soul] Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark would be making it’s debut on the big screen. Growing up, I am sure many of you may have seen these books in your local library or bookstore. One cannot simply forget the chain smoking pipe skull.

Sadly, I was told that these books were also removed from libraries because of the “offending” artwork that is portrayed by Mr. Stephen Gammell. However, that hardly
Sue
Jun 18, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
It's hard for me to remember what scared me more as a kid: the stories or the illustrations. Both are absolutely terrifying (especially the cover!) and when I was little, my older brother would read these books to me because I was too scared to even touch them. I'd grab them at the library, hold them at arms length and run to the check out counter! I grabbed this edition, mainly out of nostalgia, but also because I read somewhere that all 3 books will be re-released, but with new, odds are, tota ...more
Julie
May 23, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddos
So, there is a story in this book about a kid who finds a toe and eats it, and then the monster/zombie or whatever it was that he took the toe from comes to get his toe back.

My sister told me this story when I was young, but with alterations. For instance, the toe wasn't eaten on purpose, it was mistaken for a black eyed pea and then the unsuspecting kid ate the black eyed pea-toe and set in motion a scary monster/zombie coming to get revenge for the eaten toe.
Then of course, she convinced me th
Ashly Lynn
Apr 26, 2011 Ashly Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves scary stories, especially urban legends.
Recommended to Ashly by: The library at the Christian Lutheran School I went to. Me and my friends found it in there when I was in 3rd grade.
I've read this book so many times (like 80 probably wouldn't be much of an exaggeration – I've been reading it since 3rd grade: my friends and I used to read these to each other so often we all had the best ones memorized (I've been reading it at least once a year since elementary school for nostalgia)), and every single time I finish it, I'm appalled and so, so satisfied by how horrifying some of these short little stories are. Folk lore is fascinating.
Evan Lipa
Aug 24, 2016 Evan Lipa rated it it was amazing
For about 2 years, I have been loving horror books. My father read this book to me and it was very funny, but also scary. I had scary experiences reading this book. I actually imagined being the main characters in each story. Although it was scary, it is also very funny. I would recommend this book to other people.
Brianda Barrera
Jun 14, 2014 Brianda Barrera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scary-stuff
These books were so popular when I was growing up. I'm easily scared, and these creeped me out for weeks. I bought this compilation as an adult, and most of the stories were familiar. It's enjoyable for both adults and children.
Jamii
Sep 03, 2014 Jamii rated it liked it
This was a cute little Folk Lore/ Urban Legend book. Some of the stories were really entertaining. However some of the stories felt very unfinished or just plain pointless. Some were just there, not scary or funny, somewhat confusing.
Amanda
Mar 26, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to love these book as a kid. They were terrifying and my sister or my friends and I would read them in the dark and we wouldn't be able to sleep for hours afterwards. The illustrations really were what made it scary- they inspired a few nightmares for me, that's for sure!
Cas
May 12, 2011 Cas rated it it was amazing
this book was awsome but some of the stories gave me the creeps for days after. and to anyone reading it if you come to the story about Harold... don't read! i still get creeped out, that story is so twisted!
Natalie Pietro
Apr 03, 2009 Natalie Pietro rated it really liked it
I love this book ever since I was a little girl. It scard me at nights when I should have been sleeping. Its a collection of scary legeds or true stories. The art work is unbeliveably great. Classic bed times stories that will keep you up all night.
Joel Gun
Jun 18, 2014 Joel Gun rated it it was amazing
These three books were my favorite reads as a child in elementary school! I have always enjoyed a good scare, and I can remember reading these over and over in my dimly lit room at night before bed. The stories were spooky and the artwork was, and still is, captivating.
Wolf Price
Mar 13, 2009 Wolf Price rated it it was amazing
fuck the stories. get it for Stephen Gammell's beautiful artwork! this book is the main influence on all of my art.
Nadiene
Jun 02, 2014 Nadiene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The BEST collection of scary folktales. I still whip it out on Halloween to read them aloud at parties.
Stephanie Vela
Mar 13, 2014 Stephanie Vela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will never regret reading these! Best childhood books ever I still enjoy them :)
Lucas
May 16, 2009 Lucas rated it it was amazing
I got the last one of these from Barnes & Noble as they put it on the discontinued, ready to be shipped away, pile. It is all 3 of his "scary stories" series. It's just brilliant!
Buggyboo
Jan 24, 2009 Buggyboo rated it it was amazing
it's really scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Monster
The Scary Stories Treasury contains three popular volumes of “scary stories”, collected from folklore and urban legends by Alvin Schwartz: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones. Any librarian who isn’t familiar with the books collected in this volume really needs to check them out. Not only are these titles in high demand for older children and teens, but they are an incredible storytelling resource. In fact ...more
Aaron Coe
Nov 14, 2016 Aaron Coe rated it really liked it
This is a fun camp fire stories and a good way to scare your little sister or brother
Shane
Mar 23, 2017 Shane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't taken by the stories; however, the artwork is outstanding, and the bibliography and notes vis-a-vis folklore are fascinating.
Elias Vasilis Kontaxakis
Nov 16, 2016 Elias Vasilis Kontaxakis rated it really liked it
“Somebody I know thought Addie Fitch had witched him,” Bill went on. “He drew a picture of her on a tree, then drove a nail into it to make her stop.”
“That’s an old superstition,” the doctor said. “But people like us don’t believe in that sort of thing, do we?”

The Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series, by Alvin Schwartz, were a staple of children’s literature during the 1980s and 90s. Compared to the tame adventure tales and cheesy romances of the other books offered by our school library,
Donna
Mar 11, 2017 Donna rated it liked it
The original Scary Stories was the best one out of the three of them. Wasn't crazy about the other two after that. Reading this again brought me back to my 9-year old self.
Kaine Andrews
Feb 17, 2013 Kaine Andrews rated it it was amazing
I snagged this the other day merely due to fond memories from my childhood. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was probably my first scary book. 'Salem's Lot was the second. Yes, there is something wrong with me. But that book and it's sequel (More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark) made an indelible mark on me, leaving me with psychological scars that would never totally leave. The image on the cover of this collection (originally from SStTitD) inspired such a mortal terror that I dreaded having ...more
Lizzie
Jul 08, 2011 Lizzie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lizzie by: My former, pure evil childhood friend Allison.
Shelves: reviewed, 2011
Once, when I was little, a friend (not a very good one, I may add) decided to have me read Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. We were at Marie Calendar's with our moms at the time, so naturally the two of them would be yakking away for a while - long enough for me to read a few of the stories.

I was terrified. Growing up, I read bible stories, and about the scariest part in those was when the missionaries were in the jungle of India and a panther attacked the locals (I felt more sorry for the pa
AWESOME SCARY STORIES BOOK 4 11 May 16, 2013 05:18AM
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 4
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 12
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • Shivering Sands: Seven Years of Stories, Drinking and the World
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 23: Bridge of Tears (Usagi Yojimbo, #23)
  • The Best American Comics 2009
  • Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 5
  • Marvels: Eye of the Camera
  • Adventures of Dr. McNinja: Night Powers
  • Art Direction Explained, At Last!
  • Finder Library Volume 1
  • The Best American Comics 2008
Alvin Schwartz was the author of more than fifty books dedicated to and dealing with topics such as folklore and word play, many of which were intended for young readers. He is often confused with another Alvin Schwartz, who wrote Superman and Batman daily comics strips and a novel titled The Blowtop.
More about Alvin Schwartz...

Scary Stories (3 books)
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)
  • Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones (Scary Stories, #3)