Spirits of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #1)

Spirits of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  543 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Cassie did not feel the soul rider enter her body...

but suddenly she knew that Anchor was corrupt, and that, far from being a formless void from which could issue ony mutant changelings and evil wizards, Flux was the soure of Anchor's very existence.

The price of her new knowledge is exile, yet Cassie and the Rider of her soul are the only hope for the redemption of both Fl...more
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

E.H. Jones
I read this series when I was in high school, and I still recommend it today to lovers of both fantasy and science fiction. The first couple read very much as fantasy, although you know that behind the scenes there is a sci-fi explanation for all of the magic and wizardry. The characters don't know it, though, and so the first few don't have a specifically sci-fi feel to them. Later books embrace and explain the sci-fi background of the series, and still never seem to lose that high-fantasy feel...more
Mark
Dec 30, 2007 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
"World" is composed of Anchors, places of stability, and Flux, places of chaos. Those with the talent can make anything they can conceive out of Flux. Outside of "World" seeking entry are demons. This series is about the struggle of those wanting to let in the demon and those who want to keep them out.

This book has all the usual shape shifting, gender changing, mental and physical slavery, etc of a Jack Chalker book. This first book flirts with discussing power/politics/religion but doesn't real...more
Wise_owl
Jack L. Chalker is a writer I discovered in my late teens and have enjoyed since than. Though I think he is also one of those writers who might be very reflective of a time and place. That is had I come to his books as an adult, I'm not sure I'd have the same appreciation.

The main other series of his I've read is the Changewinds, and this book shares many similarities with it. Both books deal with strange, otherworldly cosmologies, often run by wizards, and wizards whose entire world centres aro...more
Aaron Anderson
Almost embarrassed to say, but I love this series. My 3rd favorite Chalker, it's the one with the most magic (of my favorites). So many flaws, but such a fun world, and story concept.
Heidi
A friend first turned me on to this author and this has to be the best of all his series.
Jim Cook
I reread this series every year or so. All of the books are eminently rereadable.
Geoff Canyon
Next to the well world series, this is my favorite Chalker series.
Brent Mcdougal
Classic sci-fi weirdness; what's not to love?
Theresa
It was kind of sad; this book had great potential. It had an interesting world that was well thought out and not a bad message about the world. It had just the right amount of Mary Sue and romance. However, the characterization was terrible! I couldn't empathize with any of them or believe their actions. As a result, it was really hard to get into the book.
Arthur
Decided to re-read this after many years. Not quite as good as I remember (I originally read it as a teenager, I think), but still very good. Still one of the more interesting and unique world-building concepts out there even after all this time.
Shane
Read this in Junior High. Absolutely original and fun to read. The whole series is awesome.
Ronn
Sep 05, 2013 Ronn added it
Loved this series, wish I could find a copy somewhere, but since Chalker is dead that's not likely.
Ishan Jayawardene
Science fiction with lots of nudity and smart ideas; yum ;)
John
Grade B-. Book Sr1, trilogy start.
Karen
The premise is interesting
Rick
Enjoyed base idea.
The Fza
The Fza marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Cory Walker
Cory Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Tarl Mackenzie
Tarl Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • Starchild Trilogy
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx, #2)
  • The Ring
  • The Ring of Charon (The Hunted Earth, #1)
  • Orion and the Conqueror (Orion, # 4)
  • Riverworld and other stories
  • Shakespeare's Planet
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • The Return of Santiago (Santiago, #2)
  • Symphony of Light (#12)
  • Caliphate
  • Surveillance (Intervention, #1)
  • The Wizardry Compiled (Wiz, #2)
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W...more
More about Jack L. Chalker...
Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #1) Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #3) The River of Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods #1) Exiles at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #2) Twilight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #5)