Start by marking “And the Devil Will Drag You Under” as Want to Read:
And the Devil Will Drag You Under

And the Devil Will Drag You Under

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  472 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Asmodeus Mogart was not a bad fellow, as demons go. Having gotten in trouble back in the home office, he had been assigned to duty on Earth. There he toiled, doing the kinds of things demons do and turning into something of a drunk.
Then a rogue asteroid threatened to crash into Earth and destroy all life on the planet -- demons included! There had to be a better way.
Mac Wa
Mass Market Paperback, 273 pages
Published July 12th 1979 by Del Rey/Ballantine Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about And the Devil Will Drag You Under, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And the Devil Will Drag You Under

Gavin
This was a fun sci-fi/fantasy book.

A rouge asteroid is days away destroying Earth when Asmodeus Mogart, an alcoholic demon banished to Earth, offers two humans the chance to save the planet. Mogart sends the humans to alternate universes on a quest to steal 5 magical jewels from his fellow demons. With six jewels Mogart will have the power to save the world. With little to lose both humans agree to the bargain.

This was a typical Chalker book and concentrated on themes of power, religion, gende
David
Chalker's name has come up on my recommendation lists so when I stumbled across this book at my library's annual book sale, I decided to give it a go. I'm glad that I did.

As you can surmise from the book's description, this is quest fiction: protagonists travel to distant lands (worlds) to obtain magic item(s) (jewels) that will save their home. Since time is of the essence, the protagonists (Mac and Jill) split up to accomplish their tasks quicker. I'll admit that the first stops on their respe
Samuel Proulx
I'm a sucker for framed tales, as well as for morrality in my fiction. This book contains plenty of both. It's thoughtful, yet easy to read, with an interesting[return]and fun plot and characters. The message, on power and society, is a powerful one. The point it makes isn't new, and I'm sure it's been made many times[return]before in fiction, but this is still an original take and worth the read.
David Monroe
I would love to know if Joss Whedon read this book, probably about the same time I did. This is like a prequel for the Buffyverse. Great book.
Kira
Read this YEARS ago.
Michael Vinson
Absolutely loved it! I found this gem in a used bookstore (Source Bookstore in Davenport, IA, if I can throw in a plug...). The cover and title looked interesting, and after reading the synopsis I was intrigued enough to buy it. I'm very glad I did!. I read it, put it away in a box in storage, found it a couple years later, and read it again. I had recommended it to a number of people, told them I had it, and foolishly let one guy borrow it, never to see it again. If you can find this book, grab ...more
Lauralee
I read this about five years ago, and it's one that I think of often.

I love the premise, and though it's a little kitschy at times, the pacing is good, the dialogue is strong and the descriptions are enveloping.

I thought the plot twists were well placed, unexpected and well written, though I was unsatisfied with the ending. Luckily the body makes up for it. :)
Don
Jan 04, 2014 Don rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
This sat on my shelf for a number of years after I picked it up in a used book store for fifty cents. I had enjoyed the first few installments in Chalker's Well of Souls series and thought I'd give something else a try. As with the Well of Souls series, Chalker sets up a premise that allows him to build worlds and play around in them. Once the premise was set and I experienced the first couple worlds, I became far less interested. I could see the climax building from a mile away and knew our her ...more
Otis Campbell
Now the devil has a player and he's called the demon bowler,
He's shrewd, he's rude and he's wicked.
He is sent by sinful Satan and he's out to take your wicket
And you know that that's not cricket.
Mark Palmer
Excellent story from Chalker.
Alexandra
This book was very creative. The setting is Earth, but it is ending. A man and a woman are drawn to a bar where an old man tells them he is a demon. He says he can save this world if they go to other worlds and retrieve 5 magic gems from other powerful demons. He can't do it because A.they would recognize them; and B. he's too drunk to stand up. Each world is different and amazingly created. Some ideas are those of which few people would have ever thought of. I enjoyed this book very much and it ...more
David
This book was OK. It definitely reflected the sensibilities and reading tastes of the late 70s.
Andrew Webb
Thoughts:

1. Read as recommended by Goodreads.

2. I understand the link to other novels/authors I've enjoyed; however, it shed the good parts that make such novels tolerable.

3. Very dry writing style, though the adventure was very creative.

4. Nerdy sci-fi. Weak though. Weak.
Geir
(Read in 5.7 hours @ 283 wpm)
Classical Chalker with the alternate-ruleset universes, body swapping and well-conceived plots. It's actually 6 mini-stories that are tied together. If you enjoyed the Well series, you'll probably like this.
Kevin Driskill
I am not sure I can swallow the story about the demon saving the world or at least helping in it. I liked this story line but enjoyed it much better in the fuller form it took in the rings of the master series written later.
Randy
I actually liked this one. An asteroid threatens Earth and Asmodeus Mogart, a demon condemned to Earth, will die with it unless he convinces humans to enter other dimensions, stealing things needed to save the planet.
i enjoyed this very much but i did find the writing style a little hard going. I would still suggest this book to others as the plot is absolute perfection!
Yvensong
This was a fun book with a lot of the typical insights into human nature and belief systems that Chalker can be known for in his sci fi novels.
Robert
Tim Williams
Read this many years ago and enjoyed it greatly then. Very imaginative and original. Recommended.
Michel Clasquin-Johnson
Chalker blurring fantasy and science fiction again. This time it works.
Clare
Imaginative romp through the multiverse for a quest to save Earth.
Rick
Rare for Chalker because it's not a series.
Rich
Love this book, unsung greatness lays here.....
John
Nov 05, 2014 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
1983 Grade A.
2010 Grace B.
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
  • Too Many Magicians (Lord Darcy, #2)
  • Quest Crosstime (Crosstime (aka) Blake Walter, #2)
  • Retief: Emissary To The Stars (Retief, #8)
  • A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters
  • No Rest for the Wicca
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • Dead Demon Walking (Whisperings, #3)
  • The Damnation Affair (Bannon & Clare, #1.5)
  • Broken Beasts (Xoe Meyers, #3)
  • Throne of Oak (Maggie's Grove, #2)
  • Broken Heart Tails (Broken Heart, #8.5)
  • Shadowline (Starfishers Trilogy, #1)
  • The Revenants
  • Faith of Tarot (Tarot, #3)
  • The Flying Sorcerers
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W
More about Jack L. Chalker...
Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #1) The River of Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods #1) Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #3) Exiles at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #2) Twilight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #5)