Start by marking “Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #3)” as Want to Read:
Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #3)

Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,882 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Welcome to the Well World: a construct of an ancient defunct race known as the Markovians. The Well World acts both as the controller of and the gateway to 1560 worlds created by the Markovians at the end of their time.

Exiles at the Well of Souls left Mavra Chang captured by the Olborn and partially converted into a beast of burden. Twenty-two years later, Chang has tried
Published August 26th 2003 by Baen Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Quest for the Well of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quest for the Well of Souls

astaliegurec
Nov 15, 2014 astaliegurec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack L. Chalker's "Quest for the Well of Souls" is the third book in his seven volume "Well World Saga." It's also the second book of a two book sub-series introducing Mavra Chang. And, even though the rating shows up here as 4 stars out of 5, I'm really rating it at 3-1/2 stars out of 5. Regarding style and content, there are no surprises here: it's Chalker through and through, it's the Well World, and it nicely ties up where we were left hanging at the end of "Exiles at the Well of Souls" 22 s ...more
Jeff
Jul 11, 2008 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Chalker has spun an exciting sci-fi tale set on a strange world made up of an endless number of hex-shaped zones, each one containing a totally different species. While the numerous descriptions of each succeeding alien race might get a little dizzying, even monotonous at times, the action speeds along at a furious pace to an exciting conclusion. There are cliffhangers-a-plenty and after I got past the first chapter or two (which contained a lot catch-up info intended for those who haven't read ...more
Neelyc
Mar 28, 2013 Neelyc rated it it was amazing
Like another reviewer here on GoodReads, I initially read this series out of order. The title "The Return of Nathan Brazil" grabbed my attention one day in my first year of college. Luckily, all but the last two books in the series can be read independently of the rest. Once I had gobbled up "Return", I quickly tracked down the rest of the five. I've been rereading them ever since.

This is one of few examples of an author who can sustain an interesting storyline over five titles. Most lose steam
Gregory
Oct 19, 2014 Gregory rated it really liked it
Karen
Apr 06, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Really should have been half of a larger novel, but definitely good characters and a good read.
Ian
Feb 27, 2009 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of the well of souls books explores the strong social problems of our own world in a tale of science fiction. Social injustice, prejudice, close-mindedness - all are some of the common problems that plauge the inhabitants of the strange worlds and cause their problems and lead to the wars between species. Its just like our own world, except instead of different species we have different races or nationalites. Chaulker, like Clarke, explores terrestrial human issues thru extrterrestrial world ...more
John
Jun 14, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
Wow, forgot how much I enjoyed this rolling series. Wish we could go back to the well of souls
Aaron Starr
I started reading this series with this book. While I didn't understand a lot of the specifics, due to it being the third in the series, the intensity of it drew me in and held my attention. Also, given I was only around eleven, I missed a lot of the subtext. But sex and violence is something people understand from a very young age, so I enjoyed this book immensely. As my introduction to the world of adult SF, this book was very effective.
James Hein
Jul 13, 2013 James Hein rated it really liked it
This is book two of a two book story inside the Well World saga set. It is about Marva Chang and the things that happen to her both on and off Well World.

Don't read this one without reading the book before it (Exiles at the Well of Souls)
Kevin Driskill
Feb 06, 2014 Kevin Driskill rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Chalker continues the tale toward the climax of the series that will stand alone as one of his best works. This is an incredible journey through strange worlds hurtling toward a showdown with the ultimate superpower.
Duxcaelo
Jan 25, 2012 Duxcaelo rated it it was ok
Blake
Jul 14, 2015 Blake rated it liked it
Nice to get an ending, I hate books split in two. About the same standard as the first half book (exiles..). Though I did like this half better.
Mark Palmer
Feb 16, 2013 Mark Palmer rated it liked it
Didn't enjoy wrap up of the "war" as much as I did the first one. This book plus Exiles lacked something with Nathan Brazil missing.
Timothy Boyd
Jun 07, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love aliens and alien culture in SiFi stories then this series is for you. Great story and characters. Very recommended
Tim
Jul 25, 2014 Tim rated it liked it
Mavra Chang overcomes all obstacles, reunites with Obie by end of novel and is ready to travel the stars with him.
Alan
Aug 02, 2013 Alan rated it it was amazing
I came across this series based on an audible search, and was very pleased with each book. very recommended.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful follow-up. Probably the best of the 10-book series.
Aaron Anderson
May 05, 2010 Aaron Anderson rated it really liked it
See Midnight At The Well of Souls, for my discussion of this series.
Jim Razinha
Jul 20, 2012 Jim Razinha rated it really liked it
A great conclusion. But wait! there's more.
Bookworm01
Aug 01, 2013 Bookworm01 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
See "Midnight at the Well of Souls" for review.
Ogreart Art
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Allison by: My Dad
Great book.
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Duane
Duane rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Bruna
Bruna added it
Jul 15, 2016
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • The Trouble with Humans
  • Rissa and Tregare (Rissa Kerguelen, #2)
  • The Overman Culture
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • The Wizard and the Warlord
  • Moongather (Duel of Sorcery, #1)
  • First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • There Will Be Time
  • The Exiles Trilogy (Exiles, #1-3)
  • The World Of Ptavvs (Known Space)
  • Wolfbane
  • Winter in Eden (West of Eden, #2)
  • Retief: Diplomat at Arms
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • Starwolf
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W
More about Jack L. Chalker...

Saga of the Well World (7 books)
  • Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #1)
  • Exiles at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #2)
  • The Return of Nathan Brazil (Saga of the Well World, #4)
  • Twilight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #5)
  • The Sea is Full of Stars (Saga of the Well World, #6)
  • Ghost of the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #7)