Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #3)

Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,418 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Key Selling Points- The Well World novels make up one of the top-selling series in all of science fiction, with over one million copies sold in the original Del Rey editions.- Jack Chalker is one of science fiction's most prolific and popular authors, with a huge enthusiastic audience for his non-stop action SF novels.- Known as a master of science fiction adventure, Chalk...more
Published August 26th 2003 by Baen Books (first published 1978)

Jeff
Chalker has spun an exciting sci-fi tale set on a strange world made up of an endless number of hex-shaped zones, each one containing a totally different species. While the numerous descriptions of each succeeding alien race might get a little dizzying, even monotonous at times, the action speeds along at a furious pace to an exciting conclusion. There are cliffhangers-a-plenty and after I got past the first chapter or two (which contained a lot catch-up info intended for those who haven't read...more
Neelyc
Like another reviewer here on GoodReads, I initially read this series out of order. The title "The Return of Nathan Brazil" grabbed my attention one day in my first year of college. Luckily, all but the last two books in the series can be read independently of the rest. Once I had gobbled up "Return", I quickly tracked down the rest of the five. I've been rereading them ever since.

This is one of few examples of an author who can sustain an interesting storyline over five titles. Most lose steam...more
Ian
All of the well of souls books explores the strong social problems of our own world in a tale of science fiction. Social injustice, prejudice, close-mindedness - all are some of the common problems that plauge the inhabitants of the strange worlds and cause their problems and lead to the wars between species. Its just like our own world, except instead of different species we have different races or nationalites. Chaulker, like Clarke, explores terrestrial human issues thru extrterrestrial world...more
Aaron Starr
I started reading this series with this book. While I didn't understand a lot of the specifics, due to it being the third in the series, the intensity of it drew me in and held my attention. Also, given I was only around eleven, I missed a lot of the subtext. But sex and violence is something people understand from a very young age, so I enjoyed this book immensely. As my introduction to the world of adult SF, this book was very effective.
James Hein
This is book two of a two book story inside the Well World saga set. It is about Marva Chang and the things that happen to her both on and off Well World.

Don't read this one without reading the book before it (Exiles at the Well of Souls)
Kevin Driskill
Chalker continues the tale toward the climax of the series that will stand alone as one of his best works. This is an incredible journey through strange worlds hurtling toward a showdown with the ultimate superpower.
Duxcaelo
Mark Palmer
Didn't enjoy wrap up of the "war" as much as I did the first one. This book plus Exiles lacked something with Nathan Brazil missing.
Alan
I came across this series based on an audible search, and was very pleased with each book. very recommended.
Benjamin Plume
Wonderful follow-up. Probably the best of the 10-book series.
Aaron Anderson
See Midnight At The Well of Souls, for my discussion of this series.
Jim Razinha
A great conclusion. But wait! there's more.
Bookworm01
See "Midnight at the Well of Souls" for review.
John
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Allison by: My Dad
Great book.
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Sungsu
Sungsu added it
Jul 21, 2014
Jamie O
Jamie O marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Spell of the Witch World (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #2)
  • Wolfbane
  • A Life for the Stars (Cities in Flight, #2)
  • There Will Be Time
  • Thousandstar (Cluster, #4)
  • The Gathering Flame
  • Skylark of Valeron (Skylark #3)
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • Retief's War (Retief, #3)
  • Merchanter's Luck (Company Wars, #2)
  • The Web Between the Worlds
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W...more
More about Jack L. Chalker...
Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #1) The River of Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods #1) Exiles at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #2) Twilight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #5) The Return of Nathan Brazil (Saga of the Well World, #4)