The Return of Nathan Brazil (Saga of the Well World, #4)

The Return of Nathan Brazil (Saga of the Well World #4)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,287 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In a desolate sector of space floats the Well World: the ancient Markovian supercomputer that first created and now maintains the Universe.

While attempting to repel an insidious intergalactic invasion, Mankind resorts to a weapon of such awesome destructive power that it undermines the Well World's control of time and space and threatens the very existence of the Universe.

Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published March 29th 2005 by Baen (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Return of Nathan Brazil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return of Nathan Brazil

Patrick
I came into this reading experience knowing only the cover of this book. It shows a (top-nude) female centaur and a scaly green lizard in a tight-fitting red vest smoking a cigar acting shocked to see what looks like a haggard Robert-Redford circa late-80s type sitting in a chair with divine light glowing from behind him. This scene is definitely in the book, so points there, right off the bat. As this is Vol. 4 in a series there are some serious narrative problems I, a newby to the Well World S...more
Neelyc
Like another reviewer here on GoodReads, I initially read this series out of order. The title "The Return of Nathan Brazil" grabbed my attention one day in my first year of college. Luckily, all but the last two books in the series can be read independently of the rest. Once I had gobbled up "Return", I quickly tracked down the rest of the five. I've been rereading them ever since.

This is one of few examples of an author who can sustain an interesting storyline over five titles. Most lose steam...more
Dale Rosso
This was the 1st book I read in Chalker's "Well World" Saga. Even with reading it out of order, I quite enjoyed the book. I thought it was a interesting concept to have a whole world in hexagonal sections where different species-races developed in eco-spheres of their own. Finding out who Nathan is was like watching the mother ship come over Devils Tower in "Close Encounter of the Third Kind" for me. I have read it several times over the years and will again.
Ian
All of the well of souls books explores the strong social problems of our own world in a tale of science fiction. Social injustice, prejudice, close-mindedness - all are some of the common problems that plauge the inhabitants of the strange worlds and cause their problems and lead to the wars between species. Its just like our own world, except instead of different species we have different races or nationalites. Chaulker, like Clarke, explores terrestrial human issues thru extrterrestrial world...more
Roxanne
I read this at the hotel in Boston and at the airport. In this volume, humanity rediscovers Gil Zinder's theories, and, in trying to fight off a deadly foe, pretty much blows a hole into the space-time continuum. Obie and Mavra need to find Nathan Brazil and make him return to the Well World to try to fix the hole... but can it even be fixed, or is this the end of life in the universe as we know it?

Not necessarily my favorite, but I'm still really interested by the series.
James Hein
This book is the first half of a story that end with the Twilight at the Well of Souls book.

Most of this book is set off the Well of Souls world and it heralds the return of Nathan Brazil (if you hadn't figured it out). As usual mankind or the book equivalent does something catastrophic it the universe and it needs to be fixed.
Jim Razinha
Excellent. Chalker told some great stories.

The was my first realization that some authors don't track their work well, particularly the serials. All the more strange as only two years had passed since the publication of the previous novel. Well. At least he was consistent in his error here.
Mike
I always liked Jack Chalker's science fiction. It is not the space opera kind. The Return of Nathan Brazil was the first well of souls I read and I liked it the best. It kind of fits the information/Google Age well even if it predates it. We are all just a computer program and Nathan Brazil is ...
Dark Ape
I would stop with book #3, the one before this. For me, this is all a bit too much and only serves to continue into the next book, but I was well ready for this one to end before it did and it only leaves you open for the next one like #2 in the series did.
Becky
read this series in my late teens and really like the books. The author has a great imagination and gives an answer to how the earth came to be populated and how myths such as unicorns and mermaids came to be. Very entertaining.
Scott Andrews
A great read overall. was a little bit disappointed it took so long to get back to the Well world itself however I fell that perhaps the next book could almost have been joined to this. Looking forward to the next one.
Kevin Driskill
This series embodies the struggle for freedom against despotism at the expense of great destruction. The world at the time of its writing was in the same place. Iconoclastic but relevant and entertaining.
Jon Mountjoy
I thought I'd enjoy this more. Love the concept of the Dreel. The first book in the series was rather better - this one had an unsatisfying end.
Aaron Anderson
See Midnight At The Well of Souls, for my discussion of this series.
Benjamin Plume
This series gets more and more complex as it continues.
Jeff Cadoff
This series is a must read for the true sci-fi fan.
Bookworm01
See "Midnight at the Well of Souls" for review.
Allison
Well of Souls
Mark Palmer
Nathan returns!
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Larry Stephens
Larry Stephens marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Retief's War (Retief, #3)
  • Thrice Upon a Time
  • A Private Cosmos (World of Tiers #3)
  • Warp Speed (Warp Speed #1)
  • Twist of Faith
  • Starworld (To the Stars, #3)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion, #2)
  • A World of Hurt (Starfist, #10)
  • Spacehounds of IPC
  • A Cat of Silvery Hue (Horseclans, #4)
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W...more
More about Jack L. Chalker...
Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #1) Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #3) The River of Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods #1) Exiles at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #2) Twilight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #5)