Start by marking “The Return of Nathan Brazil (Saga of the Well World, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Return of Nathan Brazil (Saga of the Well World, #4)

The Return of Nathan Brazil (Saga of the Well World #4)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,591 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In a desolate sector of space floats the Well World: the ancient Markovian supercomputer that first created and now maintains the Universe.

While attempting to repel an insidious intergalactic invasion, Mankind resorts to a weapon of such awesome destructive power that it undermines the Well World's control of time and space and threatens the very existence of the Universe.

Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published March 29th 2005 by Baen (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Return of Nathan Brazil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return of Nathan Brazil

I came into this reading experience knowing only the cover of this book. It shows a (top-nude) female centaur and a scaly green lizard in a tight-fitting red vest smoking a cigar acting shocked to see what looks like a haggard Robert-Redford circa late-80s type sitting in a chair with divine light glowing from behind him. This scene is definitely in the book, so points there, right off the bat. As this is Vol. 4 in a series there are some serious narrative problems I, a newby to the Well World S ...more
Mar 28, 2013 Neelyc rated it it was amazing
Like another reviewer here on GoodReads, I initially read this series out of order. The title "The Return of Nathan Brazil" grabbed my attention one day in my first year of college. Luckily, all but the last two books in the series can be read independently of the rest. Once I had gobbled up "Return", I quickly tracked down the rest of the five. I've been rereading them ever since.

This is one of few examples of an author who can sustain an interesting storyline over five titles. Most lose steam
Dale Rosso
Nov 01, 2013 Dale Rosso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This was the 1st book I read in Chalker's "Well World" Saga. Even with reading it out of order, I quite enjoyed the book. I thought it was a interesting concept to have a whole world in hexagonal sections where different species-races developed in eco-spheres of their own. Finding out who Nathan is was like watching the mother ship come over Devils Tower in "Close Encounter of the Third Kind" for me. I have read it several times over the years and will again.
Apr 06, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Again, half of a complete story, but some really odd characters in this one.
Jun 21, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
Great way to bring Nathan back, but you knew it was going to happen anyway. Love this series.
Feb 27, 2009 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of the well of souls books explores the strong social problems of our own world in a tale of science fiction. Social injustice, prejudice, close-mindedness - all are some of the common problems that plauge the inhabitants of the strange worlds and cause their problems and lead to the wars between species. Its just like our own world, except instead of different species we have different races or nationalites. Chaulker, like Clarke, explores terrestrial human issues thru extrterrestrial world ...more
I read this at the hotel in Boston and at the airport. In this volume, humanity rediscovers Gil Zinder's theories, and, in trying to fight off a deadly foe, pretty much blows a hole into the space-time continuum. Obie and Mavra need to find Nathan Brazil and make him return to the Well World to try to fix the hole... but can it even be fixed, or is this the end of life in the universe as we know it?

Not necessarily my favorite, but I'm still really interested by the series.
Jun 21, 2016 David rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is only half a book and is all frustrating set up for the climax in #5. In addition, the amount of exposition is inexcusable! The are some redeeming qualities: a miniature talking dinosaur, a few good old fashioned science fiction meditations on the human condition and all of the other Well World goodies.
May 05, 2016 Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2016
This is a very fine piece of sci -fi work by an author who is new to me. I will look for more of his work. Want to read the rest of tale of the Saga of the Well World story, part 5.
James Hein
Aug 02, 2013 James Hein rated it really liked it
This book is the first half of a story that end with the Twilight at the Well of Souls book.

Most of this book is set off the Well of Souls world and it heralds the return of Nathan Brazil (if you hadn't figured it out). As usual mankind or the book equivalent does something catastrophic it the universe and it needs to be fixed.
Jim Razinha
Jul 30, 2012 Jim Razinha rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Chalker told some great stories.

The was my first realization that some authors don't track their work well, particularly the serials. All the more strange as only two years had passed since the publication of the previous novel. Well. At least he was consistent in his error here.
Jan 30, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
I always liked Jack Chalker's science fiction. It is not the space opera kind. The Return of Nathan Brazil was the first well of souls I read and I liked it the best. It kind of fits the information/Google Age well even if it predates it. We are all just a computer program and Nathan Brazil is ...
Dark Ape
Nov 15, 2013 Dark Ape rated it it was ok
I would stop with book #3, the one before this. For me, this is all a bit too much and only serves to continue into the next book, but I was well ready for this one to end before it did and it only leaves you open for the next one like #2 in the series did.
Oct 08, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing
read this series in my late teens and really like the books. The author has a great imagination and gives an answer to how the earth came to be populated and how myths such as unicorns and mermaids came to be. Very entertaining.
Scott Andrews
Jul 21, 2013 Scott Andrews rated it really liked it
A great read overall. was a little bit disappointed it took so long to get back to the Well world itself however I fell that perhaps the next book could almost have been joined to this. Looking forward to the next one.
Kevin Driskill
Feb 06, 2014 Kevin Driskill rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This series embodies the struggle for freedom against despotism at the expense of great destruction. The world at the time of its writing was in the same place. Iconoclastic but relevant and entertaining.
Timothy Boyd
Mar 09, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love aliens and alien culture in SiFi stories then this series is for you. Great story and characters. Very recommended
Jon Mountjoy
Dec 23, 2010 Jon Mountjoy rated it liked it
I thought I'd enjoy this more. Love the concept of the Dreel. The first book in the series was rather better - this one had an unsatisfying end.
Aaron Anderson
May 05, 2010 Aaron Anderson rated it really liked it
See Midnight At The Well of Souls, for my discussion of this series.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing
This series gets more and more complex as it continues.
Jeff Cadoff
Feb 02, 2011 Jeff Cadoff rated it it was amazing
This series is a must read for the true sci-fi fan.
Aug 01, 2013 Bookworm01 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
See "Midnight at the Well of Souls" for review.
Aug 17, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it
Well of Souls
Mark Palmer
Feb 16, 2013 Mark Palmer rated it really liked it
Nathan returns!
Cindy marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
David rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
  • Rx for Chaos
  • Cachalot (Humanx Commonwealth, #8)
  • Warp Speed (Warp Speed #1)
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • Pointblank (Starfist: Force Recon, #2)
  • The Wizard and the Warlord
  • Rebel's Quest
  • Farthest Star
  • The Best of L. Sprague de Camp
  • The Empty Chair (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #5)
  • Twist of Faith
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W
More about Jack L. Chalker...

Saga of the Well World (7 books)
  • Midnight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #1)
  • Exiles at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #2)
  • Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #3)
  • Twilight at the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #5)
  • The Sea is Full of Stars (Saga of the Well World, #6)
  • Ghost of the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #7)