Start by marking “The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry” as Want to Read:
The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry

The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  198 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This groundbreaking volume may well be the poetry anthology for the global village. As selected by J.D. McClatchy, this collection includes masterpieces from four continents and more than two dozen languages in translations by such distinguished poets as Elizabeth Bishop, W.S. Merwin, Ted Hughes, and Seamus Heaney. Among the countries and writers represented are:

Banglades
Published June 25th 1996 by Vintage (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry

T.
Aug 28, 2010 T. rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, anthology
My only gripe is that there are no works from Filipinos. There are a lot of wonderful, fantastic poets born and raised here in the Philippines, whose works, either in the vernacular or in English, take my breath away. It's one of my dreams to someday see my fellow writers' names in 'world' poetry anthologies alongside those whom we read today.
Evan
Jun 22, 2009 Evan rated it liked it
Always on the lookout for a good anthology of world poetry for teaching creative writing: all students have access to, generally, is American poetry, which is great and all, but it's worth seeing what kinds of things are possible outside of our tradition -- a little hybrid vigor.

So McClatchy's selection is interesting and broad (quibble: only 1 Palestinian poet, though? There are a few that are really noteworthy these days) and he provides five or six pages of poems for each poet, so you can get
Dustyn Hessie
Jan 31, 2012 Dustyn Hessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: translations, poetry
This is the best anthology I own and the translations are SUPERB! I fell in love with Dahlia Ravikovich as soon as I read her poems in this anthology, but as soon as I bought one of her few books available on amazon, I realized that I was mostly just in love with the translator ... same goes for others (Neruda, etc.)

If you're even remotely interested in poetry give this one a whirl!
Cami
Aug 21, 2008 Cami rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: poetry
This is a wonderful collection of poetry from around the world. It is divided by region/country and then highlights the handful of poems from a few poets.
I like this because you get to read more than one thing from one person, giving better insight on how a poet from Poland or Senegal writes about. It also includes a great biography on each poet at the heading of their section.
Corbin
May 16, 2016 Corbin rated it really liked it
I'd recommend this book as a nice primer for anybody looking for contemporary poets outside the US and UK. The book contains famed poets like Pablo Neruda and Derek Walcott, and it also has more obscure poets from regions as diverse as Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and the Caribbean.

The only problem I had with the book was its unbalanced distribution; Eastern Europe has the most entries, though the book's introduction does point out why certain regions have more authors listed than others (r
Emily Gamez
Feb 24, 2015 Emily Gamez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: assigned-reading
This is my textbook for the Creative Writing course I'm taking and it's so good! There is a variety of poems and I find myself reading the unassigned ones anyway. Probably the best textbook I've had yet.
Y.
Mar 01, 2012 Y. rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is the first anthology of poetry I ever read, so going through it again is both nostalgic and refreshing.

I'd echo some of the quibbles mentioned in past reviews; although I am not as well-versed with prominent translators, I can echo the sentiment that certain demographics were underrepresented, or represented by poets who wrote on stereotypical themes at times (female poets, for example). However, this remains one of my favorite anthologies of poetry to date -- I still go back fondly throu
Joey Gamble
Jun 29, 2014 Joey Gamble rated it it was amazing
A solid collection of some of the world's most brilliant recent poets.
Aadil Brar
Aug 06, 2016 Aadil Brar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
The best anthology of contemporary world poetry out there!
secondwomn
May 11, 2008 secondwomn rated it really liked it
a well put-together assortment of poetry from around the world in excellent translations. my only complaint is that i wish it were a bit less euro-centric, but the editors still did a pretty good job of balancing well- and lesser-known poets who are all writing extremely great poems.
Matt Holloway
Oct 21, 2008 Matt Holloway rated it it was amazing
Well, a Czech doctor named Miroslav Holub is a new hero of mine. Who knew the Eastern Bloc was so grim?! Distinguishing mark of this collection is the quality of the translations and translators -- Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, etc.
Mark Dickson
May 08, 2009 Mark Dickson rated it really liked it
J D McClatchy has almost succeeded in The Vintage Book of replicating for the last fourth of the 20th century what Barstone did for the first half in Modern European poetry.

Shelby Rollenhagen
Nov 08, 2013 Shelby Rollenhagen rated it liked it
Although the anthology is great from a stylistic and technique perspective, a lot of the included works didn't suit my pallet. However, it is a good read for aspiring poets
Janelle
Dec 21, 2007 Janelle rated it really liked it
This is a great go-to book for those days when you just want to pick up some poetry. The collection is quite good overall. It's become one of my favorite anthologies.
Tasha
Feb 23, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing
A lovely collection. This introduced me to many poets I had not read from all over the world. Now I can look for their full volumes in bookstores.
Mejix
May 17, 2013 Mejix rated it liked it
Very uneven, which is understandable because of the breadth. Not the best anthology I've ever read but it does have some great poems.
Namrirru
Nov 27, 2007 Namrirru rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Andrushka
I think it's amusing how "World Poetry" encompasses the entire world except the US, Canada, and UK.
Cami
Mar 05, 2008 Cami rated it it was amazing
I discovered my favorite poem in this book by Shu Ting called "Fairy Tales"
Christy Seedorf
Jun 14, 2012 Christy Seedorf rated it really liked it
If your a fan of all cultures and poems then this is the book to read.
Sarah Salem
May 22, 2007 Sarah Salem rated it it was amazing
i stole this book from ms. edmonds during ap english...its awesome.
Holly
Feb 07, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it
An essential piece for the poetry lover.
beauregard
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: women-writers
Really terrific browser.
Jisoo Choi
Jisoo Choi marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Chetan Bansal
Chetan Bansal marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Ellen Cracknell
Ellen Cracknell marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Naina
Naina marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
  • The Soul Is Here For Its Own Joy: Sacred Poems from Many Cultures
  • The Lost Lunar Baedeker: Poems of Mina Loy
  • Walking the Black Cat
119003
McClatchy is an adjunct professor at Yale University and editor of the Yale Review. He also edits the "Voice of the Poet" series for Random House AudioBooks.

His book Hazmat (Alfred A. Knopf, 2002) was nominated for the 2003 Pulitzer Prize. He has written texts for musical settings, including eight opera libretti, for such composers as Elliot Goldenthal, Daron Hagen, Lowell Liebermann, Lorin Maazel
More about J.D. McClatchy...