Start by marking “The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry” as Want to Read:
The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry

The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This groundbreaking volume may well be the poetry anthology for the global village. As selected by J.D. McClatchy, this collection includes masterpieces from four continents and more than two dozen languages in translations by such distinguished poets as Elizabeth Bishop, W.S. Merwin, Ted Hughes, and Seamus Heaney. Among the countries and writers represented are:

Banglades
Published June 25th 1996 by Vintage (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry

T.
My only gripe is that there are no works from Filipinos. There are a lot of wonderful, fantastic poets born and raised here in the Philippines, whose works, either in the vernacular or in English, take my breath away. It's one of my dreams to someday see my fellow writers' names in 'world' poetry anthologies alongside those whom we read today.
Evan
Always on the lookout for a good anthology of world poetry for teaching creative writing: all students have access to, generally, is American poetry, which is great and all, but it's worth seeing what kinds of things are possible outside of our tradition -- a little hybrid vigor.

So McClatchy's selection is interesting and broad (quibble: only 1 Palestinian poet, though? There are a few that are really noteworthy these days) and he provides five or six pages of poems for each poet, so you can get
Dustyn Hessie
This is the best anthology I own and the translations are SUPERB! I fell in love with Dahlia Ravikovich as soon as I read her poems in this anthology, but as soon as I bought one of her few books available on amazon, I realized that I was mostly just in love with the translator ... same goes for others (Neruda, etc.)

If you're even remotely interested in poetry give this one a whirl!
Cami
Aug 21, 2008 Cami rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: poetry
This is a wonderful collection of poetry from around the world. It is divided by region/country and then highlights the handful of poems from a few poets.
I like this because you get to read more than one thing from one person, giving better insight on how a poet from Poland or Senegal writes about. It also includes a great biography on each poet at the heading of their section.
Emily
This is my textbook for the Creative Writing course I'm taking and it's so good! There is a variety of poems and I find myself reading the unassigned ones anyway. Probably the best textbook I've had yet.
Y.
Mar 01, 2012 Y. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
This is the first anthology of poetry I ever read, so going through it again is both nostalgic and refreshing.

I'd echo some of the quibbles mentioned in past reviews; although I am not as well-versed with prominent translators, I can echo the sentiment that certain demographics were underrepresented, or represented by poets who wrote on stereotypical themes at times (female poets, for example). However, this remains one of my favorite anthologies of poetry to date -- I still go back fondly throu
Joey Gamble
A solid collection of some of the world's most brilliant recent poets.
h
a well put-together assortment of poetry from around the world in excellent translations. my only complaint is that i wish it were a bit less euro-centric, but the editors still did a pretty good job of balancing well- and lesser-known poets who are all writing extremely great poems.
Matt Holloway
Well, a Czech doctor named Miroslav Holub is a new hero of mine. Who knew the Eastern Bloc was so grim?! Distinguishing mark of this collection is the quality of the translations and translators -- Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, etc.
Mark Dickson
J D McClatchy has almost succeeded in The Vintage Book of replicating for the last fourth of the 20th century what Barstone did for the first half in Modern European poetry.

Shelby Rollenhagen
Although the anthology is great from a stylistic and technique perspective, a lot of the included works didn't suit my pallet. However, it is a good read for aspiring poets
Janelle
This is a great go-to book for those days when you just want to pick up some poetry. The collection is quite good overall. It's become one of my favorite anthologies.
Tasha
A lovely collection. This introduced me to many poets I had not read from all over the world. Now I can look for their full volumes in bookstores.
Mejix
Very uneven, which is understandable because of the breadth. Not the best anthology I've ever read but it does have some great poems.
Namrirru
I think it's amusing how "World Poetry" encompasses the entire world except the US, Canada, and UK.
Cami
I discovered my favorite poem in this book by Shu Ting called "Fairy Tales"
Christy Seedorf
If your a fan of all cultures and poems then this is the book to read.
Salem
i stole this book from ms. edmonds during ap english...its awesome.
Holly
An essential piece for the poetry lover.
beauregard
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: women-writers
Really terrific browser.
Booksjc
Booksjc marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Keith
Keith added it
Mar 30, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Mar 26, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
  • Walking the Black Cat
  • Collected Poems, 1948-1984
  • Dear Darkness: Poems
119003
McClatchy is an adjunct professor at Yale University and editor of the Yale Review. He also edits the "Voice of the Poet" series for Random House AudioBooks.

His book Hazmat (Alfred A. Knopf, 2002) was nominated for the 2003 Pulitzer Prize. He has written texts for musical settings, including eight opera libretti, for such composers as Elliot Goldenthal, Daron Hagen, Lowell Liebermann, Lorin Maazel
More about J.D. McClatchy...
The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry Poems of the Sea Love Speaks Its Name: Gay and Lesbian Love Poems Christmas Poems American Writers at Home