Start by marking “Strider” as Want to Read:
Strider

Beverly Cleary

Strider (Leigh Botts #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,797 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
In a series of diary entries, Leigh tells how he comes to terms with his parents' divorce, acquires joint custody of an abandoned dog, and joins the track team at school.
Published (first published September 20th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Strider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strider

Stephen Gallup
Jul 30, 2008 Stephen Gallup rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The other day my 8-year-old surprised me by liking a passage in one of her books enough to read it to me with great expression while I was driving the car:

“The old man said to the stranger, ‘I gotcha cornered, and I’m gonna tell ya about my dog. Ya gotta listen even if ya don’t wanna. My dog’s coat is sorta rough, but his ears are kinda soft. He knows howta heel. His eyes say, Gimme your attention, gimme your love, gimme a bone. Whatcha think of that? When I walk him, he always hasta lift his le
Nathan
Sep 16, 2010 Nathan rated it liked it
Shelves: franklin-library
A welcome return to the life of Leigh Botts. Beverly Cleary once again uses tone with faultless control: Leigh has grown up, naturally and believably. The fledgling maturity of his character in coming to grips with his parent's divorce, his nascent attraction to a girl, his self-assuredness; all of it rings true, with the slightest tinge of sadness. There is a bittersweet undertone here not found in "Dear Mr Henshaw", a bit of saying goodbye to the younger way of living life, and for us, leaving ...more
ELIZABETH-ANNE
Aug 23, 2016 ELIZABETH-ANNE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book !

I was a huge Beverly Cleary fan 45 years ago when I was a kid and read all her books, Carolyn Haywood and Frances Lattimore before her, and Judy Bloom afterwards. I decided to revisit a great deal of books that I loved between 1966-1980 and started by taking out an armful of Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary books, this being one of them.

I was disappointed to see when I looked for the copyright date it was 1991, so clearly not one I read as a kid, as I was 30 in 1991, but it was defi
Drew Graham
Mar 24, 2016 Drew Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
Leigh Botts is a little older and wiser, and he's not writing to Mr. Henshaw anymore, but he's still faithfully keeping a journal and chronicling his daily life, ups, downs and all. When he and his friend Barry discover an abandoned dog at the beach they name him Strider and enter into a joint custody agreement. Life is still a roller coaster, but things are a little easier with a loyal canine to help you get through.

I reread Dear Mr. Henshaw for my family book group, celebrating this year Bever
Renee Hall
Though I've read Dear Mr. Henshaw countless times through the years, I never realized there was a sequel until recently, when I re-read Henshaw and the library copy had a list in the back of some of Cleary's other books with short descriptions.

I have to admit, reading "From the Diary of Leigh Botts" on the first page made me smile -- it felt like finally catching up with a friend. Overall, it's not entirely up to par with the first -- not quite as poignant or elegant in its structure, a little
Dina
Sep 28, 2015 Dina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* antennae-waving cockroaches
* “Mom, I have a sore throat and I think I have a temperature.” Mom laid her hand on my forehead and said, “Everybody has a temperature. You have a fever.”
* For some reason I thought of Barry’s grandmother’s beautiful needle-art knitting with soft, colorful yarns. Without thinking, I said,“Your hair would look nice knit into a sweater.”
* “There is too much fat in the prose written in this class. Too many adjectives and adverbs. Your compositions are to be written usi
Danny Bergman
Mar 27, 2015 Danny Bergman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the "eagerly anticipated sequel" to Dear Mr. Henshaw, written over a decade after Cleary's Newberry-winning book. The story of Strider, however, takes place just a few months after the first book finished.

Strider follows narrator Leigh through his diary entries, so we don't get any letter entries like in Dear Mr. Henshaw. But Leigh's voice is a strong as ever, as he rediscovers his previous diary and decides to take up the habit again, now as he prepares to enter high school. Strider is
Irene
Mar 15, 2014 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle school students
Shelves: children
I read this book right on the heels of Dear Mr. Henshaw, but it still took me a few chapters to get into it.

If Dear Mr. Henshaw was at times wistful and sad, with Leigh feeling lonely and despairing, then this book is - for a while anyway - downright depressing. It's sad that Leigh and his father don't have a good relationship, especially since there's a sense that they did before the divorce, even if his dad was on the road a lot. I know it's the last thing that children of divorce of supposed
Liz
May 07, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary is one of my favorite children's authors. I hadn't realized before that this book is a sequel to Dear Mr. Henshaw, which I loved. It was great to see some of the loose threads in Leigh's life come together as he navigates 9th grade.
Dalbyuri
Maybe it's easier to talk about some things over the telephone, rather than face to face
Rena Sherwood
Although this is a sequel, you do not have to read the first book in order to understand what's going on here. I'm 45 -- not exactly Cleary's target audience. However, I found this clever and cute story absorbing. The diary thing has been done to death, though. I wish this book had been published at the time of my parents' divorce.
Jill
I liked this story better than its prequel, probably because of the dog. :-) Leigh Botts is a well-drawn fourteen-year-old boy with flaws and strengths that ring true. I don't think I've yet read an unlikable book by Beverly Cleary. :-)
Tricia Pham

Isabella Green
When Leigh Botts comes across a stray dog, his whole life changes. He names the dog Strider and learns that he loves to run, making it so that Leigh is able to join the track team. With the help of Strider, he begins to overcome his parent's divorce as well. Because of this dog, Leigh finds that the future he once hated to be asked about now holds something he never thought he would, hope. This book is a good example of loyalty and helping others. It brings difficult yet common topics of divorce ...more
Sheri Struk
Dec 11, 2015 Sheri Struk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book with my six year old but it is probably more appropriate for an older child. Still, I enjoyed reading about the emotional development of this young teen, Leigh, as he ends junior high and enters high school. His journal reflects an adolescent who seems fairly well aware of his feelings and is able to communicate them clearly in his journal. The reader gets a peak at Leigh's frustrations regarding his father's lack of involvement in his life as well as the residual effects ...more
Emily Mack
Oct 18, 2015 Emily Mack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

As a huge Ramona, Henry Huggins, and Ralph Mouse fan since the 2nd grade I decided to give Strider a try when I was about 9 or 10. It instantly became one of my favorites. Is it just your classic "a boy and his dog" story? In many ways, yes. But Leigh is such a compelling, sympathetic, funny character you can't help but root for him. I re-read this recently as a almost-20 year old college student and still enjoy it. Leigh's parents are great parents even though they're struggling and do
Angela Joyce
Jul 21, 2015 Angela Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun, general-fiction
How did I not know until yesterday that the book I grew up loving with all my heart, "Dear Mr. Henshaw", had a sequel-- and such a worthy one at that?
Jill Reeder
Nov 20, 2011 Jill Reeder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I home-school my kids and we like to listen to books on cd in the car. (we have a 45 minute drive to just about anywhere we go) We recently listened to Dear Mr. Henshaw on cd. I thought I had read it growing up, but the story was not familiar to me. I really enjoyed listening to it and so did my kids. I was thrilled to hear that there was a sequel.

I was even more thrilled to learn that our small local library had it on cd as well. My husband doesn't care to read, but has been recently laid off.
Annette
Apr 25, 2013 Annette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Dear Mr. Henshaw
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I read this book many years ago, but just recently re read it because I read Dear Mr. Henshaw to my two young daughters and they requested that I read the sequel to them. I was very glad that there was a sequel because I was still feeling sorry for Leigh at the end of DMH. This book takes place two years later and so of course Leigh has matured some and has been able to accept his parents divorce. He's still friends with Barry, the kid with all of the sisters. He makes two new friends in this bo ...more
Gale
STRIDER
Beverly Cleary
“Chariots of Fur”

Man’s best friend does it again! Well, it’s been two years since Leigh Botts closed the diary which boys’ writer, Mr. Henshaw, had inspired him to keep. Now he’s taller, more confident, still living in a “shack” with his divorced mom, but totally cool about his trucker dad’s permanent absence from the family portrait. One day at the beach he find an abandoned dog—of a breed which runs and herds other animals. Starving but obedient to his last command, th
Abby Johnson
Jul 06, 2010 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, blogged
It's been several years since Leigh Botts last wrote in his journal, but he finds it and starts writing about his freshman year of high school. Things are going good for Leigh - he's got a best friend, Barry, and they're sharing custody of an abandoned dog they found on the beach. But sharing custody of Strider soon gets more complicated than Leigh could have imagined. Can his friendship with Barry survive? And if so, will it mean giving up the dog he's come to love?

Again, Beverly Cleary gives
Veronica Neffinger
I read this book years ago, and had such good memories of reading it in the summer that I had to pick it up again this summer for a bit of nostalgia. It's such a great book for middle-schoolers and made such an impression on me as a kid. It's a really cute story, except I feel like it's a bit of a not-as-good version of Because of Winn-Dixie, mainly because the narrator is not as interesting as India Opal.
Josiah
Mar 11, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Problem solving, and I don't mean algebra, seems to be my life's work. Maybe it's everyone's life's work."

--Leigh Botts, "Strider", P. 117

I would give this book three and a half stars, for sure. The tone in Beverly Cleary's two books about Leigh Botts, "Dear Mr. Henshaw" and "Strider", is very unique. It's not as if he is always sad, but there's an unmistakably poignant sadness behind everything (stemming from his parents' divorce before the story began, I think) that permeates the atmosphe
Morgan
Feb 04, 2015 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped that his parents would get back together by the end, there was a point where it seemed like it might be possible, but this was still a very good continuation of Leigh Botts's story begun in Dear Mr. Henshaw, and it reminded me of why I loved Beverly Cleary books so much when I was younger.
Nina
Jun 23, 2016 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
I've always wanted to read Strider since I finished Dear Mr Henshaw. It's hard to sum up this book well because many things had happened and Leigh got more friends and experience. He also underwent chara developments. He wasn't an angry and lonely kid like he had been. There were changes in his life and Leigh also became more mature in many ways.
Brenda
Feb 14, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Leigh Botts is less about Mr Henshaw and more just about this the life of a 14 year old freshman at high school- navigating divorce, an interest in girls, his friendships and a budding interest in running. Leigh has found a dog- Strider. This love helps Leigh as he grows up and learns who he is in his own life. A great story for all 12 to 15 year olds.
Jrobertus
Sep 12, 2010 Jrobertus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I've read by this fine author, and I enjoyed it immensley. It is aimed a young adult audience, which I guess is teenageagers, but that does not diminish its narrative value. The characters are well drawn, the story is engaging, and the issues addressed are real and approached with sensativity. Leigh is 14, lives with his divorced Mom in a down at the heels cottage in Pacific Grove. He grieves for his dad, but finds comfort in a stray dog he calls Strider. As the story unf ...more
Arnav Rajesh
Jan 07, 2016 Arnav Rajesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
It is a story of how a dog changes a person's life. The book itself was a awesome one. The illustrations had drawings of the actions the characters take. It shows the loyalty of the dog to the boy. To me i would rate it as a 5 star or maybe 15 star because of the way it was written and the story itself. I would recommend it to everybody
Thomas Bell
Jul 07, 2014 Thomas Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book, especially near the ending. I think the 1st book in the series, Dr. Mr. Henshaw, was superior, but this was still fun. It's about a boy learning to be accepted. Actually, it's more about him realizing that he is accepted. I like what he does with his essay at the ending, and I really like how Cleary makes light of the way some teachers really stink. ;)
Camille Lopez
Like its predecessor, Strider is also AMAZING (emphasis on capitalization there)... I was really glad when I had found a copy because I don't think it would ever be in the bookshelf of our local bookstore (which only sells latest books)..BTW I had bought a copy in a second hand bookstore...

Now leigh in the story is a teenager ...
he and his friend Barry found an abandon dog and they made a shared custody of the dog(just like with Leigh and Barry's parents did to them)
There was also this girl whic
  • Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2)
  • A Dog Called Kitty
  • The Trouble with Tuck
  • Remembering Mrs. Rossi
  • White Star: A Dog On The Titanic
  • Tree House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #14)
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
  • Betsy's Busy Summer
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • All About Sam (Sam Krupnik, #1)
  • The Great Christmas Kidnapping Caper
  • Sea Monsters (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #17)
  • The Winter Rescue (Sugar Creek Gang, #3)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • Angus and Sadie (Davis Farm, #1)
  • Chewy And Chica (The Puppy Place Special Edition)
  • Amber Brown Is Green With Envy
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...

Leigh Botts (2 books)
  • Dear Mr. Henshaw (Leigh Botts, #1)