Start by marking “Dinosaur Beach” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Beach

Dinosaur Beach

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Appearing from the remote future, Nexx Central agent Ravel is emplaced in America, circa 1936. His mission: to undo successive tamperings of the time stream which threaten the survival of Mankind. He falls in love with a lovely, simple girl, Lisa, but in the midst of his happiness is called away to Dinosaur Beach.

Dinosaur Beach is a Nexx Central station located millions of...more
Mass Market Paperback, 204 pages
Published July 1st 1986 by Baen Books (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Beach

Chris
Hardboiled time cop is stranded in a time loop during the age of dinosaurs, and has to untangle a muddled web of intrigue and time paradoxes to get home alive. Very complex history and mechanics of time-travel make this one interesting; I like its presentation of time as something everyone wants to fix, yet every attempt to do so throws the time stream into greater and greater chaos.

Laumer's a good writer; the protagonist is easy to sympathize with, and has a fine noir-style personality. What I'...more
Adam Getchell
This is one of my favorite Laumer novels. His take on time travel was pretty unique when it came out, and it anticipates a lot of the Transhumance/Singularity concepts so fashionable today. Laumer provides fast pacing, plenty of plot twists, and for me, a satisfying if bittersweet ending. I still retread this book from time to time, to enjoy the pacing and grand sweep of the story from one individual to all possible future histories and back again.
Matt Sears

Dinosaur Beach is a Nexx Central station located millions of years in the past, in the Jurassic Age. but shortly after Ravel's arrival, the station is attacked and destroyed, and Ravel...more
Bruce
I've read this book a number of times. It is the very exemplar of "page-turner." More than once I have stayed up to 3am to finish it, unable to put it down.

Clever time travel stuff, bit of transcendence at the end, just moves like greased lightning.

Love the many different metaphors used to describe the physical sensation of each time jump.

One of those books I read and then went looking for more from the same author, only to be disappointed. His best as far as I can tell.
Terry
This is one of the four most exciting and thought-provoking time travel novels I've read. First you think you're in a gripping thriller then in a nano-second you find you're involved in breath-taking roller-coaster ride through temporal paradoxes that grips you to the final sentence. Brilliant!
Jeff Parker
I had not expected as much intrigue and the plot twists that abound in Dinosaur Beach. In my mind I had always thought of Laumer as a pulp sci-fi writer, in the vein of ERB but more modern. This book definitely changed my opinion of Keith Laumer. While the novel is short, action packed and full of all the other classic pulp elements there is a level of intelligence and sophistication hidden within the story that you do not often associate with pulp novels. Definitely one of the most interesting...more
Rob
This novel wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. It was just plain old okay. With a title like "Dinosaur Beach" (suggesting dinosaurs) and a cover showing a futuristic man and woman with a monstrous T-Rex in the background (again, suggesting dinosaurs), I was expecting an action filled time-travelling romp with dinosaurs, but that's not what I got. Instead I got a mediocre novel about a time travel agent who falls in love, an author who likes to use big complicated words to explain the wh...more
Cody
AAAAHHHHHH! TO THIS DAY I still love this book! Every summer I regret giving it away because I want to go back and read it every day forever. My mind was BLOWN in the last couple chapters. Seriously, one of the best books I have ever read. It has stuck with me for two years now, and I seriously cannot forget how great and detailed it was. I seriously need to track down a copy so I can just reread it whenever I've got a couple hours to spare.
Neith
This is the most coherent of his books I've read, but the main draw is still watching Keith Laumer unpredictably bounce around from plot device to plot device.
J.D.
Read & Reviewed as part of a collection: Odyssey
Lis
Way too much of a science fiction book for my taste, but it did have an interesting take on time travel.
Scott Duede
This book surprised me in a few ways. The writing is good, and the story is sound. Worth reading.
sacha kenton
keith laumer spins your head and he had life experience so he is the man
Douglas
Despite the misleading title, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Peter
All time classic Tim Travel book - who is watching who watching who
Mari Illustrious Makinami
Definitely surprised me with how good it was.
Amy C
a tough read for one who's not into sci-fi.
bluetyson
Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer (2000)
Leinad
Leinad added it
Oct 14, 2014
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Edhoncho
Edhoncho marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
William van Ruth
William van Ruth marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Hariharan Gopalakrishnan
Hariharan Gopalakrishnan marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
John Keith Laumer (9 June 1925–23 January 1993) was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known f...more
More about Keith Laumer...
Bolo Retief! (Retief) Honor of the Regiment Retief: Envoy to New Worlds (Retief, #1) Keith Laumer: The Lighter Side