Start by marking “Dinosaur Beach” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Beach

Dinosaur Beach

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  258 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Appearing from the remote future, Nexx Central agent Ravel is emplaced in America, circa 1936. His mission: to undo successive tamperings of the time stream which threaten the survival of Mankind. He falls in love with a lovely, simple girl, Lisa, but in the midst of his happiness is called away to Dinosaur Beach.

Dinosaur Beach is a Nexx Central station located millions of
Mass Market Paperback, 204 pages
Published July 1st 1986 by Baen Books (first published 1969)

Adam Getchell
Jan 25, 2013 Adam Getchell rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Laumer novels. His take on time travel was pretty unique when it came out, and it anticipates a lot of the Transhumance/Singularity concepts so fashionable today. Laumer provides fast pacing, plenty of plot twists, and for me, a satisfying if bittersweet ending. I still retread this book from time to time, to enjoy the pacing and grand sweep of the story from one individual to all possible future histories and back again.
Chris
May 15, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Hardboiled time cop is stranded in a time loop during the age of dinosaurs, and has to untangle a muddled web of intrigue and time paradoxes to get home alive. Very complex history and mechanics of time-travel make this one interesting; I like its presentation of time as something everyone wants to fix, yet every attempt to do so throws the time stream into greater and greater chaos.

Laumer's a good writer; the protagonist is easy to sympathize with, and has a fine noir-style personality. What I'
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Apr 03, 2015 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
review of
Keith Laumer's Dinosaur Beach
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - April 3, 2015

That was fun. This is the 4th Laumer bk I've read in the past few days. I made a bit of fun of 2 of them as hack work. I looked him up online & read in one place that he had a stroke in the early 1970s & that he cdn't write for awhile after that but that he eventually started writing again. Here's one person's take on him:

"John Keith Laumer was an extremely successful man, an author who kept fit, alway
Cody
May 18, 2011 Cody rated it it was amazing
AAAAHHHHHH! TO THIS DAY I still love this book! Every summer I regret giving it away because I want to go back and read it every day forever. My mind was BLOWN in the last couple chapters. Seriously, one of the best books I have ever read. It has stuck with me for two years now, and I seriously cannot forget how great and detailed it was. I seriously need to track down a copy so I can just reread it whenever I've got a couple hours to spare.
Matt Sears
Dec 08, 2010 Matt Sears rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, pulp, mystery

Dinosaur Beach is a Nexx Central station located millions of years in the past, in the Jurassic Age. but shortly after Ravel's arrival, the station is attacked and destroyed, and Ravel
Bruce
Feb 21, 2013 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I've read this book a number of times. It is the very exemplar of "page-turner." More than once I have stayed up to 3am to finish it, unable to put it down.

Clever time travel stuff, bit of transcendence at the end, just moves like greased lightning.

Love the many different metaphors used to describe the physical sensation of each time jump.

One of those books I read and then went looking for more from the same author, only to be disappointed. His best as far as I can tell.
Terry
Nov 04, 2011 Terry rated it it was amazing
This is one of the four most exciting and thought-provoking time travel novels I've read. First you think you're in a gripping thriller then in a nano-second you find you're involved in breath-taking roller-coaster ride through temporal paradoxes that grips you to the final sentence. Brilliant!
Lois
Feb 01, 2016 Lois rated it liked it
This was a great change of pace book (science fiction) recommended to me by my brother. You had to pay close attention to the time traveling hero, and the intricate plot, but it was definitely clever and entertaining!
Jeff Parker
Apr 28, 2014 Jeff Parker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-sci-fi
I had not expected as much intrigue and the plot twists that abound in Dinosaur Beach. In my mind I had always thought of Laumer as a pulp sci-fi writer, in the vein of ERB but more modern. This book definitely changed my opinion of Keith Laumer. While the novel is short, action packed and full of all the other classic pulp elements there is a level of intelligence and sophistication hidden within the story that you do not often associate with pulp novels. Definitely one of the most interesting ...more
Douglas
Jan 16, 2012 Douglas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Despite the misleading title, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Philip
This little book frankly blew me away. A non-descript 1969 "pocket book" with an embarrassing cover and a misleading title, I saved this book at the last minute from my dad's bookshelves before the rest got tossed out. But what a save - Dinosaur Beach turned out to be about the smartest, deepest and most elegantly plotted time travel book I've read. Forty-five years later, not a single technology or idea sounds outdated - this could have been written yesterday, and would make a great movie. Inde ...more
Rob
Mar 02, 2010 Rob rated it it was ok
This novel wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. It was just plain old okay. With a title like "Dinosaur Beach" (suggesting dinosaurs) and a cover showing a futuristic man and woman with a monstrous T-Rex in the background (again, suggesting dinosaurs), I was expecting an action filled time-travelling romp with dinosaurs, but that's not what I got. Instead I got a mediocre novel about a time travel agent who falls in love, an author who likes to use big complicated words to explain the wh ...more
Marcus
Jul 10, 2015 Marcus rated it it was amazing
Have reread this book multiple times. Favorite Laumer book (with the first three imperium novels a close second). Best time travel story I have ever read/seen. Laumer has a "film noir" style of writing that you may not like right away, I've come to love it.
Gerald Creasy
Sep 30, 2015 Gerald Creasy rated it really liked it
I have read this book three times. Excellent scifi time travel.
Phil
May 03, 2016 Phil rated it liked it
Twisty, twin-y and at times poetic. A quick read and fast moving story.
David A. Carey
This was an unusual story, (aren't all time travel stories?) but well written.
A.A. Jankiewicz
Sep 01, 2015 A.A. Jankiewicz rated it it was amazing
Great book and certainly one I will need to reread!
Brenda
Jan 22, 2015 Brenda rated it did not like it
Could not get into
Neith
May 01, 2009 Neith rated it liked it
This is the most coherent of his books I've read, but the main draw is still watching Keith Laumer unpredictably bounce around from plot device to plot device.
J.D.
Read & Reviewed as part of a collection: Odyssey
Alisa Kester
Jun 06, 2013 Alisa Kester rated it it was ok
Way too much of a science fiction book for my taste, but it did have an interesting take on time travel.
Scott Duede
Sep 03, 2010 Scott Duede rated it liked it
Shelves:
This book surprised me in a few ways. The writing is good, and the story is sound. Worth reading.
sacha kenton
Apr 20, 2008 sacha kenton rated it it was amazing
keith laumer spins your head and he had life experience so he is the man
Peter
May 06, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it
All time classic Tim Travel book - who is watching who watching who
Mari Illustrious Makinami
May 25, 2013 Mari Illustrious Makinami rated it really liked it
Definitely surprised me with how good it was.
Amy C
Nov 13, 2010 Amy C rated it it was ok
a tough read for one who's not into sci-fi.
Leif  Adams
Mar 31, 2016 Leif Adams rated it liked it
Twilight Zone episode in a book. Good.
bluetyson
Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer (2000)
Stefan Vucak
Mar 22, 2013 Stefan Vucak rated it really liked it
Great book!
  • The Wrong End of Time
  • The Storm Lord (Novels of Vis, #1)
  • Sunfall
  • Flandry of Terra (Ensign Flandry 3)
  • Time on My Hands
  • New Pompeii
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • The Masks of Time
  • The Ivanhoe Gambit (Time Wars, #1)
  • The Daleth Effect
  • Under the Green Star (Green Star, #1)
  • Threshold
  • Journey to the Center (Asgard, #1)
  • Dragon's Egg / Starquake
  • The Dechronization of Sam Magruder
  • The Nowhere Hunt
John Keith Laumer (9 June 1925–23 January 1993) was an American science fiction author. Prior to becoming a full-time writer, he was an officer in the U.S. Air Force and a U.S. diplomat. His brother March Laumer was also a writer, known for his adult reinterpretations of the Land of Oz (also mentioned in Keith's The Other Side of Time).

Keith Laumer (aka J.K Laumer, J. Keith Laumer) is best known f
More about Keith Laumer...