Start by marking “Eight O'Clock in the Morning” as Want to Read:

Eight O'Clock in the Morning

In the short story that inspired the movie They Live, George "wakes up" to find that there is a great secret being kept from the world... and he's the only human to have found out the truth.
5 pages
Published 1963

Brian
A man wakes from hypnosis, the only one. He starts seeing reptilian creatures under human flesh. Signs and televisions say subliminal words he can see clearly. He gets a call from someone telling him to repeat: "I will die at eight o clock in the morning." The story falls into short-short classification, but packs novel length ideas on a springboard of imagination.

The movie based on this short-short stars Roddy Piper in the eighties. The Sci-Fi Classic, called "They Live," packs action, humor, a
Sean
Sep 12, 2016 Sean rated it it was amazing
Best book cover ever
A.
Sep 10, 2012 A. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Eight O'Clock in the Morning (1963) is a very short science fiction story by Ray Faraday Nelson where the main character, George Nada, is accidentally “woken up” to a new reality of the world ... the reality that has been kept from all humankind.

The question now is: what will he do with that knowledge?

---
This is an original story with an interesting premise: (view spoiler)
Ayushi
Oct 21, 2016 Ayushi rated it really liked it
The story revolves around a single man waking up to the reality of non-human creatures dwelling among humans and controlling their perceptions, followed by his ensuing efforts to rouse mankind to the truth.
The story is exceedingly short and can serve as a template for other superior works, like it did for the 1988 movie “They Live”. The movie builds on the short story, functioning as an assessment of the apparent democracy we live in and presents a strong message about the power of advertising
Bill Lynas
Sep 25, 2016 Bill Lynas rated it it was amazing
Having always enjoyed John Carpenter's film They Live I checked out the original story it was based on & found it highly entertaining. It might be the shortest short story I've ever read, but in just a few minutes it achieves more than some science fiction novels manage to do in hundreds of pages.
ascreamofconsciousness
Apr 16, 2014 ascreamofconsciousness rated it it was amazing
by Ray Faraday Nelson

"One of the subjects awoke all the way. This had never happened before. His name was George Nada and he blinked out at the sea of faces in the theatre, at first unaware of anything out of the ordinary. Then he noticed, spotted here and there in the crowd, the non-human faces, the faces of the Fascinators. They had been there all along, of course, but only George was really awake, so only George recognized them for what they were.He understood eve
Sabin Antohe
Nov 08, 2016 Sabin Antohe rated it it was amazing
A small (and healthy) dose of paranoia that we all need in our lives. This short story is a slap over the face of consumerism and the corporate world. “Obey”, “Work eight hours, play eight hours, sleep eight hours”, “Consume” you won't need the glasses to see all this around you. For the longer version, see the movie.
Robb Bridson
Aug 12, 2015 Robb Bridson rated it it was ok
This is the story "They Live" was based on.
One normally expects a story to be superior to a movie, especially a B-movie (albeit one that was great and that I have fond feelings for).
That's not always the case, and I suppose it might hurt my assessment that I was holding it up against one of my favorite John Carpenter movies.

The big problem is that the story is so cramped. There's no feeling at all.
Nada just suddenly wakes up and sees the aliens (reptilian rather than ghoul-like) that are operati
Victor Mabuse
Apr 23, 2014 Victor Mabuse rated it liked it
Spoiler alert, read at your own literary peril.

Although not a classic, I still was very much intrigued by the concept. This short story, the inspiration for John Carpenter's, They Live, had a great premise. That premise, we have been invaded and we don't know it. Only those of us awake are aware. Considering the political climate we live in now, the concept really packs a philosophical punch. For those of us that are individualists, I think you will enjoy the story, in spite of some its shortcom
Graham
Apr 09, 2016 Graham rated it liked it
An interesting idea, but nothing more, way too short really. Would be interesting to see this fleshed out as a full length novel - not that 'They live' was a bad effort, but the book should be better than the film right?!
Christine
Nov 21, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I can say, without having to see the film, that this story is better than the movie. If you love sci-fi, you ought to check it out.
Alberto Morales
Alberto Morales rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Dani
Dani rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Guilherme Pantopom
Guilherme Pantopom rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Andy Ritchie
Andy Ritchie rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
MusicFan FromMissouri
MusicFan FromMissouri rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2015
Joel Hawkins
Joel Hawkins rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Graham Hutchison
Graham Hutchison rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Iván
Iván rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Asderathos
Asderathos rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
Erik Angle
Erik Angle rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Jay Bos
Jay Bos rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2016
Jonas Haugsøen
Jonas Haugsøen rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Under the Scotch Broom
  • Counterfeit Unrealities
  • Replicant Night (Blade Runner, #3)
  • After Life
  • Dr. Identity
  • The Guardener's Tale
  • To Read or Not to Read
  • Strength of Stones
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
Aka Jeffrey Lord (house pseudonym)

Radell Faraday "Ray" Nelson is an American science fiction author and cartoonist most famous for his 1963 short story "Eight O'Clock in the Morning",[1] which was later used by John Carpenter as the basis for his 1988 film They Live.
More about Ray Faraday Nelson...