Start by marking “River Flow: New & Selected Poems 1984-2007” as Want to Read:
River Flow: New & Selected Poems 1984-2007

River Flow: New & Selected Poems 1984-2007

4.74 of 5 stars 4.74  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  12 reviews
David Whyte's body of work reflects the depth and breadth of a maturing artist, taking its readers on a passage through time and place, allowing us to bear witness to the constellation of difficulties, triumphs, adventures, losses, hopes and revelations that have shaped one particular human life. RIVER FLOW contains over one hundred poems selected from five previously publ ...more
Published March 15th 2007 by Many Rivers Pr

To ask other readers questions about River Flow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River Flow

Julie
David Whyte spoke at Town Hall, Seattle on December 2, 2011. I had never heard of him, but a dear friend insisted that my husband and I attend with her and her daughters. She so believed in David's poetry and his message that she bought our tickets and made certain our calendars were free so we had no excuses.

I will be forever grateful to this loving friend. I sat transfixed for the two hours David spoke, recited his poems and a handful of others that have inspired him through the years. He rec
Ward Bell
Poetry is so personal and my taste for it evolves. As I write, Whyte continues, after years, to hold me spellbound.

Whyte poems are jewels of story telling operating at multiple levels of meaning. I have little capacity for tone poems; I need them to speak straight. Not a problem of antique language (I love Shakes, Dunne, Milton); I just need to read it without knowing the secret, hidden references and the poet's biog.

You can't put a book of poetry on the "read it" shelf; it just won't stay ther
Elise
Getting to hear David Whyte recite his own poetry last year took me several stratospheres deeper into my love of and ability to connect with poetry. New vistas have opened up!
Devon
David Whyte is a poet of remarkable depth. Born of an Irish mother, David oozes a distinct trace of that ancient personality, and the deliberate process of Irish poetry is ingrained in his work.

Whyte deals in universal themes; identity, home, and the sense of belonging. His attention to the detail of his prose is infectious to the point that every person who speaks about him can only use a voice that that doesn't belong to them in describing the man. He has a peculiar ability to unearth a vocabu
Deborah
Excellent collection of poems. Thought provoking too.
Elisabeth
David Whyte is one of my favorite poets (along with Mary Oliver and Robert Bly among others), and this book is a wonderful collection of some of his best older poems and some amazingly beautiful new ones. I highly recommend it to any poetry lover or anyone who is new to poetry and wants to start with accessible but absolutely beautiful poems.
Deborah
I really want to buy a copy of this book. The poems span many years and subjects, which touch on Blake, friendship, grief, English and Irish landscapes, too many to describe and all with clear story lines. Remarkable the way David Whyte captures deep experience in clear and simple vocabulary.
Naomi
Poems to savor and revisit, year after year, compose the majority of this selection. Whyte is a meditative poet, following a muse to an insight, an image, a moment of wonder and often ending at the edge of what comes next.
Karin
David Whyte is my new favorite poet. When reading his poems, I can almost hear him recite them. Not all touched my heart in the same way, but the ones that do I will carry with me for many years to come!
Anna Beth
Incredible! I always go back to this book time and time again. It will be in the "currently reading" category forever.I keep it on my nightstand like a bible.
Kathleen

already written
inside you
Kayoko
Feb 18, 2009 Kayoko is currently reading it
Love this book! Great collection of insightful poetry by David Whyte.
Troy Bowman
Troy Bowman marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Emily Miller
Emily Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Armand Cognetta
Armand Cognetta marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Peter Derk
Peter Derk marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
FrankO
FrankO marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
vanessa
vanessa marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
ellie
ellie is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Meg
Meg is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2014
Joan Edgar
Joan Edgar is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Leaf And The Cloud: A Poem
  • You Must Revise Your Life
  • Poem Crazy
  • Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively with Color & Composition
  • Brave Intuitive Painting-Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold!: Techniques for Uncovering Your Own Unique Painting Style
  • Small-Space Container Gardens: Transform Your Balcony, Porch, or Patio with Fruits, Flowers, Foliage, and Herbs
  • Beauty: The Invisible Embrace
  • The Half-Finished Heaven
  • The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • One Zentangle A Day: A 6-Week Course in Creative Drawing for Relaxation, Inspiration, and Fun
  • Ten Poems to Open Your Heart
  • Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media-For Budding Artists of All Ages
  • The Poetry of Rilke
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Art Made from Books: Altered, Sculpted, Carved, Transformed
  • The Vices
Poet David Whyte grew up with a strong, imaginative influence from his Irish mother among the hills and valleys of his father’s Yorkshire. He now makes his home in the Pacific Northwest of the United States.

The author of seven books of poetry and three books of prose, David Whyte holds a degree in Marine Zoology and has traveled extensively, including living and working as a naturalist guide in th
More about David Whyte...
Crossing the Unknown Sea: Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America House of Belonging The Three Marriages: Reimagining Work, Self and Relationship Everything Is Waiting for You