4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The world-renowned Disney Institute reveals the strategies that have sealed Disney's extraordinary reputation when it comes to customer service. Now available in paperback. Whether they are called clients, customers, constituents, or, in Disney-speak, guests, all organizations must best serve the people who purchase their products and services or risk losing them. Now, for...more
Published June 2nd 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published May 1st 2001)

Dorsch and Navarre Branch Libraries
Be Our Guest : Perfecting the art of customer service

We all share the same goal – satisfied customers

Disney in In Search of Excellence

Long term success depends on our ability to motivate people, one day at a time and one innovation at a time

Disney approaches
- Quality service
- Creativity
- Innovation
- Leadership
- Loyalty
- Supply chain excellence

Training programs connect companies to their
- Own heritage
- Values
- People
- Guests

Trends come and go – companies need to mobilize the
- Brainpower
- Passi...more
Greg
May 24, 2010 Greg rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any organization serious about quality improvement
Recommended to Greg by: Victor Boschini, TCU Chancellor
The Disney Institute has written a very interesting book describing Disney's approach to providing world class service to their "guests." In a clear and compelling style, Be Our Guest outlines principles of service quality that can be readily adapted to the needs of most organizations. The quality service cycle is introduced, with its focus on (a) a service theme, (b) service standards, (c) delivery systems, and (d) integration of them all into one coherent whole. They emphasize the importance o...more
Jacob O'neill
Book was pretty good. Main focus was on understanding customers, their needs, and how to use your organization to best meet their needs. Applying the principles outside of a service industry will be more challenging but possible.

Here are chapter by chapter highlights:(view spoiler)...more
Matthew
Disney understands customer service better than anyone and in this book, they take us behind the curtain and give us a glimpse of what makes the magic work. Below are just a few of my favorite takeaways from the book.

"Exceeding Guests’ expectations is Disney’s service strategy, and paying attention to every detail is the tactic by which it is accomplished."

“Quality service means exceeding your guest’s expectations and paying attention to detail.”

“You can’t change people. But if you change the...more
Ezra
Disney is a fascinating company. The culture and management style is not totally intuitive and worth studying. This book pulls the curtain back a tad, but Disney is clever enough to avoid giving away the secret sauce.
Keri
I read this for work and think I learned some helpful things for us to implement to provide better customer service.
Tim Kimberley
This book definitely took a bit of work translating the Disney context to my context. There were a whole bunch of gems. It's not every day you can pick up a book and learn how a successful organization with very strong DNA trains and instills their DNA into their employees. It wasn't my favorite book but I'd consider it a must read for someone who leads an organization or works to instill a great customer experience.
Kent
Mar 30, 2010 Kent rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Managers with Customer Service needs
Of all the companies out there, Disney does an amazing job at satisfying the customers needs. in fact, they formed the Disney Institute to share their story and show other corporations how they can excel at customer service.

I enjoyed the book from a management point of view. There were great examples throughout the book. Lots of good ideas. My biggest complaint is there is a lot of repetition in the book. This 200+ page book could have been reduced to 15 pages if all the repetition had been left...more
Bayneeta
I read this for a customer service requirement at work. This is really more of a management plan for establishing quality service and setting up goals and training for staff--not particularly tips for employees to provide good customer service. I've just always been curious at how Disney manages to keep all of their "cast" members smiling and upbeat. Amazing attention to detail, but I'm still not clear on how they maintain that in every individual employee.
Elisabeth
I loved Walt Disney, back in the day. I still love his ideology. I'm not sure it can continue without him, but this book gives me hope. I would love to work somewhere where my title was 'cast member' or do business with a company that referred to me as their 'guest'. I would love the world to REALLY be a stage, where we could love our work, paid or not. I still aspire to this and wish the rest of the world would, as well.
Citrus Libraries Staff Favorites
Andrew Carretto
Tremendous book. It is great to read the behind the scenes view of one of the most amazing corporations in history. Nothing is done by chance. It had great tie ins to other corporations and how every industry can run with the same principles. One of the better self help business books that I have read. Definitely recommend if you need a good business book to read!!
Ted
All I can say is that when you read this book you need to really appreciate the lengths that Walt went to to create the ultimate playland for kids. He used ideas and studied people to find out what works that no one had done before. All to create a place that was safe and secure. If you get nothing out of this book you're not trying.
John Semchenko
Great book! Gives some practical groundwork for creating a magical guest experience.

Cast, Setting, and process all work together to enhance the guest experience. This matrix is driven by singular service theme.

For Disney that Service theme is "Making people happy."

Cathy
Pretty good. I have a reputation of not liking any of our manager's book club selections but this one led me to try to integrate/align a couple documents related to what we do and how we do it. I actually finished the book - even though the discussion was over.
Ken Andrus
I loved this book and am using it at work as a guide in putting together a customer service initiative. The book outlines the approach Disney used to create it legendary customer service but does so in such a way to make it very adaptable for any organization.
Christina Sanders
Thoroughly enjoyed reading Be Our Guest. Various nuggets that companies can use to gain a better understanding of how to truly "serve" your customers to keep them coming back.
Janice
I was really lucky to be a part of Disney. I miss being immersed in the special culture, but I'm thrilled to include this book as part of my professional tool kit!
Ben Rogers
Ok so I had to read it for work... but there are some pretty interesting anecdotes about customer service, and the way Disney works that will open your eyes a little...
David Carlson
Not a big fan of Disney but had to acknowledge there is much value here in this book. A bit homespun sometimes but good.
Bil
Fantastic look at how Disney creates and maintains "The Magical Experience" and keeps their customer coming back.
Lori Grant
A must-read company profile for knowledge workers, managers, directors, C-levels, and entrepreneurs.
Jan
Very fun and informative book!! I learned a great deal about how Disney does what they do sooooo well!
Noel M.
Mar 12, 2009 Noel M. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Noel by: Dr. Yen
An informative, easy read for SJSU's Service Operations Management class.
Sharon
Simply one of the best, most important business books I have ever read.
Kathy Johnson
If you want to know how to deliver customer service, this is the book!
Ellen
It was fun to read about the thinking behind the Disney mindset.
Rashaan Davis
Great to finally get some insight into how Walt's people think...
Elaine Bearden
suggested by cpl in ng - looks good
  • The Disney Way: Harnessing the Management Secrets of Disney in Your Company
  • Inside the Magic Kingdom
  • The Imagineering Way
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company (Nordstrom Way)
  • The Orange Revolution: How One Great Team Can Transform an Entire Organization
  • How to Be Like Walt: Capturing the Disney Magic Every Day of Your Life
  • The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot at Walt Disney World
  • Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community
  • Seven Practices of Effective Ministry
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • The Men Who Would Be King: An Almost Epic Tale of Moguls, Movies, and a Company Called DreamWorks
  • Disneywar
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • Viral Loop
  • Fish! Tales: Real-Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't