Start by marking “The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)

The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,533 ratings  ·  64 reviews

After leaving her bad-news husband back in Texas, Lee McKinney moved up north to a quaint resort town. Now she keeps the books for her aunt’s luxury-chocolate shop. But Lee soon finds that Michigan winters can be murder....

Lee and Aunt Nettie can’t believe their luck. A teddy bear promotion will have tourists flocking to Warner Pier, which coul
Published November 5th 2002 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Bear Burglary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Bear Burglary

A Cold Day in Paradise by Steve HamiltonMiddlesex by Jeffrey EugenidesAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieBetter Read Than Dead by Victoria LaurieA Superior Death by Nevada Barr
Books set in Michigan
16th out of 270 books — 91 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonA Dead Sister by Anna Celeste BurkeFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Mysteries in Good Taste!
94th out of 335 books — 273 voters

More lists with this book...

This is the second book in the Chocoholic Mystery series and I am still not thrilled with the author's writing style. But I have been told by a reliable source that this series does get better, so I plan to stick it out.

I figured out 'whodunit' fairly early in the story. There really were no surprises. I find the main character to be a bit annoying, but was happy that the whole 'twisted tongue' thing was not as prevalent in this book as the last one.

Have #3 here on my TBR shelf so will continu
In this title, we learn a little more about Lee's past when her ex-step-son (Jeff) shows up unexpectedly. He is acting suspicious and belligerent. There is also new "strength" to Aunt Nettie’s character, as she invites Jeff into her home and business. TenHuis teams up with the other Warner Pier businesses for a "Teddy Bear" themed winter festival. Nettie and Lee borrow some valuable antique chocolate bear molds for their promotion. Someone breaks into the chocolate shop. Jeff interrupts them, so ...more
With the second book of the Chocoholic series, I enjoyed some elements of it and while I didn't like others.

When an antique dealer Gail is killed, and her stepson is accused of the crime, Lee has to prove his innocence. Is mainly the plot of the book but there are a lot of elements of the book that eventually ties together though not well for the reader to understand in my opinion.

For the holiday, Lee and her Aunt have displayed some Teddy Bear molds while there is one that Lee does not like an
The second book in the chocoholic series finds Lee McKinney still living and working with her Aunt Nettie. Although she's away from her controlling ex-husband and doing well on her own, things aren't all rosy. She's seeing a guy who doesn't want to go public with their relationship because the tabloids are hounding him. Then her ex-stepson shows up under suspicious circumstances. Soon he's suspected of breaking into the chocolate shop and, soon afterward, killing an antiques dealer. Lee has to f ...more
Robin (RBBR)
I still plan to read the entire series but it seems to be developing some predictability which may or may not be a bad thing. Whatever the Special Chocolate is will be involved in a crime somehow. The person who is either new in town or has not been "home" in years and unexpectedly returns will either end up dead or be accused of killing someone. There is a building romance between the main character and the guy she had a crush on in High School. The pace of their romance due to both having just ...more
Such a fun book! I live along the lakeshore of Lake Michigan, so the fictional town in this story-- nestled in between Holland and Saugatuck feels like home to me! Fun characters and story line-- perfect for a light-hearted mystery! My only 'complaint' is that I don't feel the characters are fully developed-- I'd like to know more about them. Otherwise, I am glad I discovered this series-- it's fun and I'll be reading all of them!!
Mark Baker
Lee's step-son comes for a visit during a winter festival. When he finds himself accused of a string of robberies that end in murder, Lee has to step in to clear him. Another delicious romp with a resort town full of murder.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Sandy Duke
Lee McKinney manages to get herself entangled in yet another small-town murder mystery. In this book we get to learn a little more about Lee's past history and a few more characters are brought into the cast. All in all a good read with plenty of red herrings thrown in.
3.5 Stars. I really enjoy this series. Lee is a good character and I would love to work at TenHuis Chocolade just for my two free pieces of chocolate a day, they all sound so good. The mystery was enjoyable and I love the chocolate chats.
Tabby Kat
Lee McKinney is handling her first winter in Michigan rather well for a Texas gal. She insists that the cold won't slow her down. What does stop her in her tracks is the sudden appearance of her ex-stepson, Jeff. Sullen and refusing to discuss why he's there, Aunt Nettie offers him a temporary job at TenHuis Chocolade.
Meanwhile, the town is getting ready for a teddy bear promotion to try to attract winter visitors. Lee and Nettie have borrowed some antique chocolate molds to decorate the shop. B
Dec 29, 2014 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Cute story of chocolate factory. Antique chocolate molds.
Lee McKinney's former stepson shows up - did he murder the antiques dealer?
Angela Young
Got this book for free off the free shelves at the library....Wasn't sure what to expect and I LOVED IT!
Dawn Michelle

Read~February 25, 2010

An ok read.
Ok, the characters are great, the story is descriptive the descriptions of where they live and the surrounding area are pleasant. The story (who did it and why and how they get to that conclusion)....weak!
I *knew* who did it (though I wasn't completely sure until the end, but I WAS mostly sure)VERY early on. Even with ALL the red herrings thrown in, I knew.

I really like these characters, and their side stories are nice. SOOOO, I am going to keep reading and
This mystery series is growing on me. Looking forward to the rest of the chocolate mysteries.
Enjoyable - certainly not taxing in terms of figuring out the murderer. However, I don't read mysteries to try to figure things out. I read mysteries because the have an ending - the murderer gets caught (almost always).

I've have not read this series in progression. It is nice to learn how Joe and Lee's relationship is developing - they just got acquainted again in the first book. Turns out the relationship is developing at a snails pace - at least in this book.

That's okay. I enjoyed learning
The Chocoholic Mysteries are super easy to read. It took me a little over one day to finish. There aren't many characters and the plot isn't complex. The characters are likable and I do find myself rooting for Lee and Joe. Overall it's enjoyable, light and fun.
This is the 2nd book in "The Chocoholic Mysteries" by JoAnna Carl.
I enjoy this series with its history and descriptions of chocolate and chocolate candy!

Lee and her Aunt own and operate a Candy Store in a small tourist community. They decided to join other Businesses to have a "Teddy Bear" themed promotion during the Winter months ..when seasonal tourist business is slow.

They used some borrowed antique bear molds to display in their store..and one night one of them is stolen.
This cozy is a page
Dec 15, 2014 Jean added it
Good mystery.
I would have given 3.5 stars to this whole series. I like the main character - single at 30 but tentativley dating. I love the setting - she works in a chocolate shop and they make primarily truffles and molded chocolates full of wonderful things! The descriptions of the candy are yummy...although I hardly ever read the chocolate trivia at the first part of each chapter. I enjoy the writing style and by about 2/3rds of the book, I have the murderer identified. There are still some twists but I e ...more
Luffy Monkey D.
First, let me say I had to downsize the rating for my new system of rating books. Now that I've finished all my Chocoholic mystery books, I do look at this story with nostalgia. It's an engrossing enough story, and I've been amazed at how much Joanna Carl has extracted from this setting of Warner Pier to generate so many stories. This time though the book is a cozy mystery the murder is quite gristly. I had no chance in guessing the murderer, and I enjoyed reading the story all the more for it.
Set during the winter in the summer vacation area of Warner Pier on Lake Michigan, the mystery involves transplant Texan Lee McKinney and her chocolate shop owning Aunt Nettie. The plot involves a weathy family, political ambitions, murder, and antique chocolate molds as Lee tries to solve the mystery and save her exstepson (she's divorced from his father) who is suspected in the murder.

A fun read with bits of chocolate in fiction information interspersed throughout the chapters.
Lee McKinney is back and trying to figure out who stole some antique chocolate molds from her aunt's chocolate shop and accidentally gets herself involved in murder.
I liked this book because it had a number of twists and turns to keep you guessing without a lot of gratuitous violence. A fun, light-hearted read.
Another quick read about the chocolate shop. Glad to see Lee and Joe "dancing" around with each other. I think they would make a great couple. I like the tight knit community and that nothing is a secret- for long, especially where Greg is concerned.
So far, still liking this series. They seem to start off slow for me, but definitely pick up after someone is dead! Then I can't put it down. Author does a good job of roping you in to finish the book (at least roping me in!)
Second book in a new series...had to stop and think a bit in the beginning, but the characters all came back to me. Crazy things happen in a lakeside town in Michigan...the main characters work at a chocolate company.
It is rare for me to give more than three stars to a cozy mystery, but I found this book exceptionally enjoyable. It was a solid cozy mystery and just what I needed after a day full of holiday stress.
I enjoyed this cozy mystery. The characters were funny and real. The author kept the story clicking along. The book came to me through I will seek out other books written by this author.
Rebecca Cheney
This is one of a series of murder mystery books. They are charming. Not high literature, but definitely enjoyable. Kim C - You would really like these books (must be the chocolate topic!)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Immaculate Reception (Madeline Bean, #2)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Shades of Earl Grey (A Tea Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2)
  • Top O' the Mournin' (Passport to Peril, #2)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as
More about JoAnna Carl...

A Chocoholic Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery, #11)
The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1) The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3) The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8) The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6) The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)