Start by marking “The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)

The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery #2)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,630 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
CONFESSIONS OF A CONFECTIONER

After leaving her bad-news husband back in Texas, Lee McKinney moved up north to a quaint resort town. Now she keeps the books for her aunt’s luxury-chocolate shop. But Lee soon finds that Michigan winters can be murder....

Lee and Aunt Nettie can’t believe their luck. A teddy bear promotion will have tourists flocking to Warner Pier, which coul
Published November 5th 2002 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Bear Burglary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Bear Burglary

A Cold Day in Paradise by Steve HamiltonMiddlesex by Jeffrey EugenidesAbby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria LaurieBetter Read Than Dead by Victoria LaurieA Superior Death by Nevada Barr
Books set in Michigan
16th out of 286 books — 103 voters
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne FlukeCatering to Nobody by Diane Mott DavidsonA Dead Sister by Anna Celeste BurkeFudge Cupcake Murder by Joanne FlukeEvertaster by Adam Glendon Sidwell
Mysteries in Good Taste!
97th out of 352 books — 279 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Aug 31, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok
This is the second book in the Chocoholic Mystery series and I am still not thrilled with the author's writing style. But I have been told by a reliable source that this series does get better, so I plan to stick it out.

I figured out 'whodunit' fairly early in the story. There really were no surprises. I find the main character to be a bit annoying, but was happy that the whole 'twisted tongue' thing was not as prevalent in this book as the last one.

Have #3 here on my TBR shelf so will continu
Sharon
Apr 15, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
In this title, we learn a little more about Lee's past when her ex-step-son (Jeff) shows up unexpectedly. He is acting suspicious and belligerent. There is also new "strength" to Aunt Nettie’s character, as she invites Jeff into her home and business. TenHuis teams up with the other Warner Pier businesses for a "Teddy Bear" themed winter festival. Nettie and Lee borrow some valuable antique chocolate bear molds for their promotion. Someone breaks into the chocolate shop. Jeff interrupts them, so ...more
Moriah
Oct 02, 2015 Moriah rated it really liked it
With the second book of the Chocoholic series, I enjoyed some elements of it and while I didn't like others.

When an antique dealer Gail is killed, and her stepson is accused of the crime, Lee has to prove his innocence. Is mainly the plot of the book but there are a lot of elements of the book that eventually ties together though not well for the reader to understand in my opinion.

For the holiday, Lee and her Aunt have displayed some Teddy Bear molds while there is one that Lee does not like an
Debbie
Feb 12, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
The second book in the chocoholic series finds Lee McKinney still living and working with her Aunt Nettie. Although she's away from her controlling ex-husband and doing well on her own, things aren't all rosy. She's seeing a guy who doesn't want to go public with their relationship because the tabloids are hounding him. Then her ex-stepson shows up under suspicious circumstances. Soon he's suspected of breaking into the chocolate shop and, soon afterward, killing an antiques dealer. Lee has to f ...more
Robin (RBBR)
Jan 02, 2011 Robin (RBBR) rated it really liked it
I still plan to read the entire series but it seems to be developing some predictability which may or may not be a bad thing. Whatever the Special Chocolate is will be involved in a crime somehow. The person who is either new in town or has not been "home" in years and unexpectedly returns will either end up dead or be accused of killing someone. There is a building romance between the main character and the guy she had a crush on in High School. The pace of their romance due to both having just ...more
Addison Public Library
Lee and Aunt Nettie become involved with a town-wide teddy bear promotion which they hope will mean a bonanza for their European chocolate shop. When a friend lends them some antique bear chocolate molds to help promote the event, they are thrilled . . . until a burglary and a murder tarnish the festivities!

KD 11-15

Check out this book today!
Guera25
May 09, 2016 Guera25 rated it it was ok
We have returned to the land of insipid stick figures who blunder clumsily from plot point to implausible plot point. Lee McKinney, the heroine is, once again, bland and unappealing, and the rest of the characters are no better. Frankly, it's like watching dinner theatre as performed by paper dolls. I don't care for Lee, and Carl's insistence on generating tension by having Lee's loved ones under suspicion is cheap, lazy, and ineffective. A total bore.
Elizabeth
A feel good mystery

Lots of interesting tidbits throughout about chocolate. While I found the mystery of the murderer/their a little predictable it is nice cozy mystery. It is definitely worth a read. I liked the addition of the new characters and hope to read more about them. Looking forward to getting my hands on the next book in the series and reading it.
Karen
Aug 06, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Such a fun book! I live along the lakeshore of Lake Michigan, so the fictional town in this story-- nestled in between Holland and Saugatuck feels like home to me! Fun characters and story line-- perfect for a light-hearted mystery! My only 'complaint' is that I don't feel the characters are fully developed-- I'd like to know more about them. Otherwise, I am glad I discovered this series-- it's fun and I'll be reading all of them!!
Mark Baker
Mar 09, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2002
Lee's step-son comes for a visit during a winter festival. When he finds himself accused of a string of robberies that end in murder, Lee has to step in to clear him. Another delicious romp with a resort town full of murder.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Theresa Malloy
Mar 10, 2016 Theresa Malloy rated it liked it
Shelves: about-food
Lee McKinney has to free her ex-stepson from some trouble when he shows up in Michigan after a long drive from Texas. He's the prime suspect in a murder case when he's found over the body of a woman outside of Lee's family chocolate shop. She works quickly to try to clear his name before charges are filed. Not my favorite in the series, but it's a quick read.
Jenn
Apr 12, 2016 Jenn rated it liked it
Eh. I'm still not loving these, but they're okay. And I don't have to pay for them since the library has them, so I guess I'll keep reading. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it?

This is readable enough. The tongue-tied thing is annoying. The main character is okay, but kind of annoys me. The culprit was fairly clear from the beginning. So, yeah.
Dharia Scarab
May 30, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Sandy Duke
Feb 17, 2014 Sandy Duke rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
Lee McKinney manages to get herself entangled in yet another small-town murder mystery. In this book we get to learn a little more about Lee's past history and a few more characters are brought into the cast. All in all a good read with plenty of red herrings thrown in.
Linda
Mar 14, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
3.5 Stars. I really enjoy this series. Lee is a good character and I would love to work at TenHuis Chocolade just for my two free pieces of chocolate a day, they all sound so good. The mystery was enjoyable and I love the chocolate chats.
Cathy Cramer
I guessed it. Also, between this chocolate mystery series and the book, "The Perfect Summer," by Luanna Rice, I'm beginning to feel like the lifeguard-turned-boat builder boyfriend is becoming too much of a stereotype. He felt a little more three dimensional in "The Perfect Summer."
Tabby Kat
Lee McKinney is handling her first winter in Michigan rather well for a Texas gal. She insists that the cold won't slow her down. What does stop her in her tracks is the sudden appearance of her ex-stepson, Jeff. Sullen and refusing to discuss why he's there, Aunt Nettie offers him a temporary job at TenHuis Chocolade.
Meanwhile, the town is getting ready for a teddy bear promotion to try to attract winter visitors. Lee and Nettie have borrowed some antique chocolate molds to decorate the shop. B
Joan Schrock
Mar 19, 2016 Joan Schrock rated it really liked it
Light reading. Chocolate facts at the end of the story are very interesting .story line is not too violent, language is decent, sex mmoderate not explicit.
Pat
Dec 29, 2014 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Cute story of chocolate factory. Antique chocolate molds.
Lee McKinney's former stepson shows up - did he murder the antiques dealer?
Cute.
Angela Young
Apr 07, 2014 Angela Young rated it it was amazing
Got this book for free off the free shelves at the library....Wasn't sure what to expect and I LOVED IT!
Dawn Michelle
Feb 27, 2010 Dawn Michelle rated it liked it

Read~February 25, 2010

An ok read.
Ok, the characters are great, the story is descriptive the descriptions of where they live and the surrounding area are pleasant. The story (who did it and why and how they get to that conclusion)....weak!
I *knew* who did it (though I wasn't completely sure until the end, but I WAS mostly sure)VERY early on. Even with ALL the red herrings thrown in, I knew.

I really like these characters, and their side stories are nice. SOOOO, I am going to keep reading and
NK
Jun 20, 2014 NK rated it really liked it
This mystery series is growing on me. Looking forward to the rest of the chocolate mysteries.
Barbara
Aug 26, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Enjoyable - certainly not taxing in terms of figuring out the murderer. However, I don't read mysteries to try to figure things out. I read mysteries because the have an ending - the murderer gets caught (almost always).

I've have not read this series in progression. It is nice to learn how Joe and Lee's relationship is developing - they just got acquainted again in the first book. Turns out the relationship is developing at a snails pace - at least in this book.

That's okay. I enjoyed learning
Alaine
Oct 15, 2014 Alaine rated it liked it
The Chocoholic Mysteries are super easy to read. It took me a little over one day to finish. There aren't many characters and the plot isn't complex. The characters are likable and I do find myself rooting for Lee and Joe. Overall it's enjoyable, light and fun.
Melissa
Mar 20, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This is the 2nd book in "The Chocoholic Mysteries" by JoAnna Carl.
I enjoy this series with its history and descriptions of chocolate and chocolate candy!

Lee and her Aunt own and operate a Candy Store in a small tourist community. They decided to join other Businesses to have a "Teddy Bear" themed promotion during the Winter months ..when seasonal tourist business is slow.

They used some borrowed antique bear molds to display in their store..and one night one of them is stolen.
This cozy is a page
Robyn
Apr 21, 2016 Robyn rated it really liked it
good story, fun characters
Lori
Feb 18, 2016 Lori added it
Loved this book and author.
Nancy Blades
Jan 28, 2016 Nancy Blades rated it did not like it
recipes are included
Jean
Dec 15, 2014 Jean added it
Good mystery.
Natalie
May 17, 2011 Natalie rated it liked it
I would have given 3.5 stars to this whole series. I like the main character - single at 30 but tentativley dating. I love the setting - she works in a chocolate shop and they make primarily truffles and molded chocolates full of wonderful things! The descriptions of the candy are yummy...although I hardly ever read the chocolate trivia at the first part of each chapter. I enjoy the writing style and by about 2/3rds of the book, I have the murderer identified. There are still some twists but I e ...more
  • Chocolate Dipped Death (A Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Murder Has a Sweet Tooth (A Cooking Class Mystery, #5)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • The Jasmine Moon Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #5)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as
More about JoAnna Carl...

A Chocoholic Mystery (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery, #11)