Start by marking “Guerilla Days in Ireland: A Personal Account of the Anglo-Irish War” as Want to Read:
Guerilla Days in Ireland: A Personal Account of the Anglo-Irish War

Guerilla Days in Ireland: A Personal Account of the Anglo-Irish War

Guerilla Days in Ireland is the extraordinary story of the fight between two unequal forces, which ended in the withdrawal of the British from twenty-six counties. In particular, it is the story of the West Cork Flying column under Tom Barry, commander of genius and national hero.
Published November 28th 1995 by Roberts Rinehart Publishers (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Guerilla Days in Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guerilla Days in Ireland

Tom Barry
Mar 07, 2013 Tom Barry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Irish history buffs
Recommended to Tom by: My father
Someone got me this book for my last birthday; I first read this book twenty years ago when divisions in Ireland were still raw due to the violence in the north.
This is a very personal account of Tom Barry's role fighting the British army in the Irish rebellion. A leader of one of the 'flying columns', he recounts the guerilla campaign in the Cork and Kerry countryside, that eventually led to the withdrawal of British forces from the South of the country, and the creation of the Irish Free State
Freedom Road El Camino Para la Libertad
the inside story of the Anglo-Irish war of 1920-21, from the man who led the most succesful Irish flying column. The book is a quick and engaging read, balancing details of each battle and operation with the big-picture view of the Irish struggle for freedom. But above all the value of this book is its political lessons; the final chapter in particular should be required reading for all revolutionary activists. In demonstrating his own journey to political consciousness and the consolidation of ...more
David Zierhart
Nov 28, 2012 David Zierhart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book while in Ireland. I have relatives there whom we have managed to keep in touch with since my Great Grandfather immigrated to the US in 1893. I wanted to get a better understanding of the divide between the Irish Republic and the British. This certainly did it! A courageous stand against the occupying British, many great sacrifices made to keep the Irish independent and proudly so. Thomas Barry takes us inside the IRA. Its a situation that I don't believe will ever be truly ...more
Finooola
Apr 24, 2009 Finooola rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This read in part like an adventure book, it was so exciting. But at the core it's just stipped down version of the events of the guerilla tactics being used against the British in West Cork in 1920-21. It is probably the author's personality that makes it so entertaining. He is a sometimes funny, unpolitical (I didn't say apolitical) ordinary soldier engaged in the only the tactics the could succeed in a fight between unevenly matched forces. I liked his generosity in descibing his comrades, ev ...more
Tony C.
Jan 19, 2012 Tony C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be highly enjoyable, filled with many detailed encounters with enemy forces Tom Barry and his flying column overcame in the west Cork area.
The book is detailed in a military point of view, telling of formations and strategies that a guerilla force would take to defeat a larger better trained and equipped army. It also shows the damage a well commanded, determinant guerilla force can cause to a occupying army.

Well worth a read.
Handrick
"There can be no doubt as to why the death roll of the West Cork I.R.A. dropped so amazingly. It was solely because British terror was met by a not less effective I.R.A. counter-terror. We were now hard and ruthless as our enemy had been since hostilities began. The British were met with their own weapons. They had gone down in the mire to destroy us and our nation, and down after them we had to go to stop them."
John somers
Brilliant account of the War Of Independence (Anglo-Irish War) from the I.R.A.'s finest flying column commander. While his bias toward the men of his own column and locality must be borne in mind while reading this, it is a superb first hand account of a guerrilla force in action and a must read for anyone interested in Irish history.
Denerick
Apr 15, 2009 Denerick rated it liked it
Slightly better written that Breen's memoir, it is still difficult to dredge through. An important book, possibly a requisite for any budding guerrila commander!
Brian
Oct 14, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone interested in Irish history, guerilla warfare, or how to succeed in an unequal struggle for liberation against a vastly superior power.
Martin Mcananey
Sep 03, 2010 Martin Mcananey rated it it was amazing
If you want to research how to wage a guerilla war against a super power and win, read this book.The technology may change but the tactics are solid
Nate
Great account of the Irish war of independence from one of the IRA's best commanders
Ted
Jan 25, 2008 Ted added it
Didn't finish.
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Preston
Preston marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Paul Finn
Paul Finn rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
tom
tom rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Neilsmurf
Neilsmurf is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Ciara
Ciara marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Darren Kelly
Darren Kelly rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2016
Tadhg McMullan
Tadhg McMullan marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Simon O'Mahony
Simon O'Mahony rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Tony Ferguson
Tony Ferguson rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Kul Anand
Kul Anand marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
D Scullion
D Scullion marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Morgan Matthews
Morgan Matthews marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Jim Newport
Jim Newport rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
  • On Another Man's Wound
  • Eamon de Valera: The Man Who Was Ireland
  • Mick: The Real Michael Collins
  • Modern Ireland 1600-1972
  • Ten Men Dead: The Story of the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike
  • A Secret History of the IRA: Gerry Adams and the Thirty Year War
  • Nothing But an Unfinished Song: Bobby Sands, the Irish Hunger Striker Who Ignited a Generation
  • Easter 1916: The Irish Rebellion