Start by marking “New Year at the Pier: A Rosh Hashanah Story” as Want to Read:
New Year at the Pier: A Rosh Hashanah Story

New Year at the Pier: A Rosh Hashanah Story

Izzy’s favorite part of Rosh Hashanah is Tashlich, a joyous ceremony in which people apologize for the mistakes they made in the previous year and thus clean the slate as the new year begins. But there is one mistake on Izzy’s “I’m sorry” list that he’s finding especially hard to say out loud. Humor, touching moments between family and friends, and lots of information ...more
Published June 11th 2009 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about New Year at the Pier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Year at the Pier

Lisa Vegan
Jan 27, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jewish New Years reading; anyone who wants to discuss apologizing and/or forgiveness
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This is a terrific book about the Jewish New Year’s tradition of Tachlich, which involves making amends for things one regrets in the past year and therefore being able to start off the new year with a clean slate, or as it says in this book, with “clean, wide-open hearts.”

I loved the illustrations; the ones at the ocean made me feel as though I was there. I enjoyed the art, which was made with pen and ink, watercolor and gousche. I usually enjoy art done in watercolor.

I love the tradition of th
Jun 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
"New Year at the Pier" is a fabulous story for young readers. It explains Tashlich, an aspect of the Jewish New Year Rosh Hoshanah, where people admit their mistakes to those they've wronged and toss bread crumbs into water, symbolizing starting a new year. Young boys and girls will relate to Izzy, who can't write yet, but draws pictures of the things for which he needs to apologize. They will understand how some of his mistakes are easier to say "Sorry" for than others. The colorful watercolor ...more
Elizabeth
This book was a 2010 Sydney Taylor book award winner. It’s a great picture book for both boys and girls’ age’s five to eight. The pictures in the book are very appealing and it has a good lesson to be learned about forgiveness. The young boy in the story is celebrating Rosh Hashanah and he is coming up with things he’s sorry for that he did in the last year. It emphasizes that forgiveness is important.
Maira
Jun 28, 2012 Maira rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
New Year at the Pier was winner of th 2010 Syndney Taylor Book Award. This would be a good read for Kindergarten to third grade or any student looking for a book to read about different holiday traditions. New Year at the Pier told a story of a tradition during Rosh Hashanah called Tashlich.
It's a great book to use to teach forgiveness and teach students of different traditions.

Beth Thames
Jul 25, 2009 Beth Thames rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book does a good job of bringing the idea of forgiveness which is what Rosh Hashanah is about to the understanding of young children. The storyline is a read that will be enjoyed by young readers, also.
Nan
Jul 21, 2009 Nan rated it really liked it
Marvelous illustrations. Wayland introduces Rosh Hashanah without getting bogged down in history or tradition. The family here is universal. Izzy is the brother that every sister loves and hates.
Jul 15, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Does a wonderful job of explaining the purpose behind Rosh Hashanah and the power of asking for and receiving forgiveness.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
What a sweet story of Rosh Hashanah. I liked the way the author helped explain the whole concept of Tashlich and "I'm sorry". Done in a way small children can understand.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Jul 21, 2009 JustOneMoreBook.com rated it it was amazing
Crisp salt air and sunshine breeze from airy, upbeat illustrations in this chattily shared and poignant reminder of the power of forgiveness.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

Rosh Hashanah is September 19-20, 2009. Will you be tossing an "I'm Sorry" list?

More forgiveness on JOMB:

The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza
Elinor and Violet: The Story of
Haley Sterritt
Oct 30, 2012 Haley Sterritt rated it really liked it
This book tells a story about the holiday Rosh Hashanah from the point of view of a little boy named Izzy. His favorite part of Rosh Hashanah is throwing away your past mistakes and starting over new, which is called Tashlich. Izzy realizes he has made some mistakes and must appologize to the people he hurt, even if it is hard to do. He has to appologize to a few people, the last one being his best friend, Ben, for telling his secret when he said he wouldn't. Izzy was very nervous about it, but ...more
Marya
Sep 15, 2015 Marya rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday-books
While the pictures aren't my favorites, the story itself makes up for it. Rather than a boring explanation of what Tashlich is, the book instead gives you a character to focus on as he practices this one specific custom. I especially liked how the author grounded the story in mundane life; Ben is able to apologize to his mother, sister, and (with a lot of squirming) his best friend. He misses an opportunity for the fourth person on his list and promises to do so later. Crucially, the author does ...more
Lindsey
Jul 31, 2010 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
SYDNEY TAYLOR AWARD WINNER (2010)

Format: Picture book
Age level: Elementary
Protagonist: Izzy

Brief Summary: This was an excellent book exploring the Jewish New Year. The story focuses on the tradition of tashlich, where people admit their mistakes in the past year and throw stale bread into the water. Told through the eyes of a young boy, the reader really gets a feel as to what tashlich means to a younger child. I think this book would really help children understand an important part of Rosh Has
Shelli
Jan 25, 2010 Shelli rated it it was amazing
This is a story about a Jewish New Year’s tradition that can be enjoyed by all people no matter what their faith, and at any time of the year. At the beginning of the year it is custom for Jewish people to reflect on the mistakes they made that year, writing a list numbering these mistakes, then cast these mistakes in the form of bread into a lake, river, or ocean. I love this since we cannot undo the mistakes we have made, but we can reflect on them, apologize, forgive ourselves and let those ...more
Janelle Zingaro
Oct 30, 2012 Janelle Zingaro rated it liked it
Shelves: text-set
New Year at the Pier is about a young Jewish boy, Izzy, and his favorite part of Rosh Hashanah, Tashlich. This is the time during the Jewish new year that Jewish people apologize for all the things they regret doing in the last year and open their hearts for the year to come. Izzy finds that apologizing is difficult, but rewarding. After he apologizes he throws his regrets off the pier. I would use this book to promote apologizing in my classroom and encourage community. Students could make ...more
Megan Craig
Jul 10, 2013 Megan Craig rated it it was amazing
Audience: Primary
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Text-to-self: I am not Jewish, however I could relate to the book in that when it is Tashlich, and Izzy apologizes for the things he wished he hadn't done, I too do on a regular basis ask for forgiveness at church or from the people I have done things I wished I hadn't done. At the end of the story, after he has apologized for his wrong doings, he says that his "heart feels cleaner", which I agree is such a great sigh of relief to be forgiven of the thing
Elizabeth Padomek
Audience-K-3rd, Jewish students-boys and girls, fictional story to introduce/talk about a tradition during Rosh Hashanah
Appeal-This book is written so that younger students can understand and read independently. It would be great to use when teaching about Rosh Hashanah, but would also be great to show students the power of saying "I'm sorry" and forgiving others when they say "I'm sorry."
2010 Sydney Taylor Book Award List
Megan
Oct 02, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
My kids and I read this last night and really enjoyed it! My 5 year old was really in tune with what was happening throughout the story. It's difficult to teach the I'm sorry, thank you, sharing, and the list goes on. It's nice to be able to read a story to them of this manner that will captivate them and keep their attention.

Thank you April! This will be a regular bed time story to add to our collection! My kids thought it was so cool that you signed the book to them! :)
Jessica Cohen
Nov 10, 2015 Jessica Cohen rated it it was amazing
When reading to and educating a child who speaks both English and Hebrew, it is important to foster both the child's home language and culture. The story, "New Year at the Pier" explains why people who are Jewish celebrate the holiday of Rosh Hashanah and the importance of saying, "sorry" to the people you might have hurt in the past year.
Yapha
Sep 10, 2012 Yapha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very sweet book for young children about the power of forgiveness -- both for those who are asking to be forgiven and those doing the forgiving. Centered around the Jewish custom of Tashlich, where one tosses bread crumbs symbolizing sins into a body of water, it is a great message for all whether you celebrate Rosh Hashanah or not. Recommend for grades K-3.
Jun 21, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Audience: K-2, teachers wishing to teach about different New Year's celebrations, Jewish students familiar with the traditions in the book.
Appeal: The illustrations are colorful and captivating. The story is believable and the text is poetic.
Award List: 2010 Sydney Taylor Book Award
April Wayland
Aug 28, 2009 April Wayland added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Win an autographed copy of New Year at the Pier! Just post one reading, writing or teaching goal for the new school year (new year at the pier...new school year...get the connection?)in 25 words or less between 8-28-09 and 9-7-09 at www.teachingauthors.com
Rebecca
Apr 11, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
This book would be a great way to explore other beliefs during the holidays. I recommend this book for 2nd-5th grades. Students may be prompted to write their own stories about what holidays they enjoy celebrating.
Chenoa Brown
Apr 10, 2011 Chenoa Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: experiences, fiction
A family writes down all the negatives they have done for that year. After apologizing, the family does a ritual called Tashlieh to clean their hearts. They do this by throwing pieces of bread into the water. Great book for students in grades Kindergarten to 3rd grade.
Matthew
Sep 28, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-books
I liked this book a lot. In addition to introducing the concepts behind the observance of Rosh Hashanah, it tells a good story about the boy Izzi and demonstrates effective use of ellipses a couple of times during the telling.
Samantha
Jun 06, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
Sydney Taylor Award Winner 2010

I really enjoyed reading this book. I feel like I have a better idea of what Rosh Hashanah means. I think this book could also be used for discussion about apologizing or forgiveness.
Natalie
Apr 02, 2010 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: holiday
A boy's perspective of Tashlich, a ritual of admitting mistakes.

My favorite part was the mother apologizing to her child for being on the phone so much
Mandy Peterson
Jun 17, 2012 Mandy Peterson rated it really liked it

Audience: k-4 boys and girls who are interested in other cultures and traditions
Appeal: uplifting and realistic story with a good life message, very nice pictures
List: Sydney Taylor 2010
Sharron
Sep 23, 2011 Sharron rated it it was amazing
I just found this book this year and it is a much more direct teaching tool about Tashlich than the book I love to use. It is straight-forward, which is appropriate for my first graders.
Bobbi Miller
Bobbi Miller rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
April Halprin Wayland's next picture book, MORE THAN ENOUGH--A Passover Story, illustrated by Katie Kath, comes out from Dial Books for Young Readers in March 2016.

Her picture book, NEW YEAR AT THE PIER--A Rosh Hashanah Story, won the Sydney Taylor Gold Award for Younger Readers and received a starred review in Publishers Weekly. It is an affectionate, celebratory story of forgiveness and what a b
More about April Halprin Wayland...