Start by marking “What Am I Feeling?” as Want to Read:
What Am I Feeling?

What Am I Feeling?

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Adapted from Dr. John Gottman’s Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child, this book helps adults identify their parenting and care giving style. It explains the five important steps in “emotion coaching” children to ensure that children are guided to healthy emotional growth. Gottman argues that kids who can accept and share their emotions form stronger friendships, achiev ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Parenting Press

To ask other readers questions about What Am I Feeling?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Am I Feeling?

April Braswell
What Am I Feeling? a Thoughtful and Helpful Guide to Parents and Life Coaches

Whether you are a parent hoping to be a better mother or father and improve your parenting style or you are coach or therapist working with adult clients desiring to empower your clients with their emotional heritage and increase their emotional intelligence Emotional Intelligence and be a person with great personal self mastery then this is a sweet and short book to help guide you successfully!

Many adults were not rais
Sylwia
This very short book is informative and would benefit both the uneducated and the educated parent. I think that it is a useful tool even for those of us who don’t plan to have children, as it explains which ways of approaching the emotions of others are incorrect ways and which way is the correct way. As always, Gottman doesn’t talk down to you, but instead opens your eyes. I’ll read anything written by this man, and I recommend this to others.
Beth
If you don't have time to read "Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child" by the same author, this book is a very short, quick overview of the same ideas. It helps teach ways and strategies for helping your child learn to communicate their feelings. It is a great tool for parents, and can give them something to think about in their own interactions with others.
Katherine
This is a parenting book that is supposed to aid in helping adults with children and parenting with feelings and to have an added benefit of helping adults figure out their feelings as well. Didn't really work for me but it was a short read and lots of big pictures. :)
Donna
Wonderful book for educating parents about how to talk to their children about their feelings and their behavior--in the right order, in the right ways.
Redhead42
Redhead42 marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
caroline friberg
caroline friberg marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Phillip
Phillip marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Shalma M
Shalma M marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Brooke David
Brooke David marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Miss.tonic
Miss.tonic marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Lukas
Lukas marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Urban Hillbilly
Urban Hillbilly marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Lisa Schwieterman
Lisa Schwieterman marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kinsey
Kinsey marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Sara Freeman
Sara Freeman marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Therbium
Therbium marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
T.
T. marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Hallie
Hallie marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
31960
Dr. Gottman is the co-founder of the Gottman Institute™ with his wife, Dr. Julie Schwartz Gottman, where he currently teaches weekend workshops for couples and training workshops for clinicians. He is the Executive Director of the Relationship Research Institute, where they are developing programs for parents transitioning to parenthood and are beginning a new research project on treatment for Dom ...more
More about John M. Gottman...
The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child Why Marriages Succeed or Fail: And How You Can Make Yours Last The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships Ten Lessons to Transform Your Marriage: America's Love Lab Experts Share Their Strategies for Strengthening Your Relationship