Start by marking “Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A: Betrayal (Part One)” as Want to Read:
Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A: Betrayal (Part One)

Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A: Betrayal (Age of Bronze #3A)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  24 reviews
High King Agamemnon lusts to conquer the wealthy city of Troy. He leads his army across the sea, fighting all the way. On the island of Tenedos just off the coast of Troy Achilles leads the attack. Spears fly and men die. When the dust settles, Achilles finds himself one step closer to his tragic fate. Meanwhile, the Trojans prepare their defenses and gather allies. Agamem ...more
Trade Paperback
Published December 11th 2007 by Image Comics (first published July 19th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanVerses of Athine by Shannon McRobertsTritonium by Yelle HughesThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Modern Interpretations of Ancient Myths
133rd out of 179 books — 182 voters
The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Unwritten, Vol. 1 by Mike CareyFables, Vol. 1 by Bill WillinghamFables, Vol. 2 by Bill WillinghamThe Sandman, Vol. 4 by Neil Gaiman
Mythic Fiction Comics
67th out of 87 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

P.D.R. Lindsay

Graphic used to mean a novel of Lady Chatterly's ilk, now it means what aged me calls a comic. 'Age of Betrayal Part One', however is not the jolly 'Beano' comic, this book, written and illustrated by Eric Shanower, tells the first part of the story of the Trojan War. And it does it very well. At the front of the book there are detailed maps, a plan of Troy, a translation from Sophocles about Philoctetes, and an excellent summary of the story. At the back of the book are a glossary of names, a g
The continuation of the graphic novel based on the Battle of Troy. In this volume the ships have landed on an island a stones throw away from Troy and they send an envoy to talk peace terms with the trojans before the battle commences proper. It has now been 3 years since the Greeks first assembled for this war so you have to hand it to the soldiers for their enormous patience at such a bumbled attack so far.

I didn't enjoy this volume as much as the first two and perhaps it is because I am also
The continuing story of Age of Bronze finds the Achaeans arriving in Troy. There's a few nice pages of pre-war diplomacy and lots of drama surrounding love and sex.

I'll reiterate what I said about volume 2: amazingly detailed art, lots of (interchangeable?) characters - I often had trouble keeping straight who was who (of course, the Greek names didn't help), stiff dialogue (try reading some of this aloud to see how ridiculous it sounds), a not entirely gripping story. I haven't read The Odyssey, but it seems like a lot of time passes here without much happening. This time around, I noticed that a lot of the characters are referred to as "son of Whoever" i ...more
Eric Shanower's graphical retelling of the Trojan War holds its excellent form in volume 3A: "Betrayal." After a lengthy build-up, the Greek forces actually make it to Troy...sort of. As we start, their expeditionary force is landing on the nearby island of Tenedos, taking it by force. From there, the Greek leaders approach a fruitless parlay with the Trojan court, finally building to the mythic battle that will follow.

Shanower's fine black-and-white drawings do an excellent job capturing bloody
Kirsten Surdej
I read the third one first so oops. But now that I've read the first and second volumes I understand the third a lot better. This one's definitely more slow-paced than volumes 1 and 2, hoping it'll lead up to something big and exciting in 3B!!
Still an amazingly solid piece of historical and literary interpretation, but this arc begins to really slow down, largely because of the inclusion of the melodrama of Troilus and Cressida (THANKS SHAKESPEARRE YOU JERK).
Not altogether much happens and a lot happens. It's difficult to do a short book like this, again, because the characters resemble each other so much and each has a lot going on.

I think the highlight of this book was Shanower's well-done "sound" gag in which one character screams in most panels for the middle of the book. Very fun.
Good, but not that much happens? Some guy gets bit by a snake and won't stop scream and then everyone sucks at negotiating.
Mark Flowers
These books are easily some of the greatest graphic novels I've ever read.
If you've read the other two, this is more of the same outstanding realization of the Iliad. Some of the secondary characters were too thinly developed for my liking, and there are many secondary characters. There's not much of Achilles as the story concentrates on Priam's court. We still haven't gotten to the first battle of the war, but the set up has been thorough.

I'm waiting for the next volume and hope Shanower can maintain the high standards he's established for himself.
Kind of a dip from the second volume, Sacrifice, but only because that one was so amazing it would be hard to top. Still an incredibly intricate and deep retelling of the Iliad. By the end of Betrayal, the war *still* hasn't started yet, but hopefully we're getting close. (I'm actually starting to wonder if Shanower is going to put us through the literary equivalent of 9 years waiting... but I for one am excited to see what he can do with that.)
Another solid part, though I was distressed to see that this is only 3A, and wondered if that meant that when he says out of seven volumes, will 3B be the equivalent Volume 4 or not.

But, that's neither here nor there. It is amazing art, and pretty good storytelling as well. An author after my own heart, taking all these different sources and trying to put it together into one cognizant story. Go Eric Shanower!
Oh no! Interest in ancient Greece slipping, slipping, goooooone. I found this installment really, really boring. It's like... those few episodes in an otherwise excellent TV show that makes you go, OMG so bored! What are they doing with the characters? What's the conflict in this one? Where's the story? People are just wandering around, talking and crying and shouting.
Same solid storytelling Shanower demonstrated in the previous volumes shines through here. His increased comfort illustrating the characters and settings also comes off the page, and in some scenes become more cartooning than before.

Be warned; after the drama and tragedy all over Volume 2 this is definitely a slow down in pace.
I'm still enjoying this. Like, really alot. I love the way it brings the epic story to a human level, fills in emotions and backstory. But. How can we still not have started the actual war yet? Has he maybe gotten too attached to the characters? Or maybe he just doesn't want to leave anything out? Seriously, move it along.
George Marshall
What can I say? Brilliant! I adore this series which is one of the best things in the world of comics. The writing is superb. The art is consistently good, is sometimes a little scratchy. And the tale is gripping. I have written to Eric Shanower to beg him to keep going for the full course.
Phil Huff
Eric Shanower is retelling the Iliad in a series of graphic novels that translate the Greek poetry into contemporary prose, with highly detailed black and white illustrations.
You MUST read this series of graphic novels retelling the Homeric epics if the concept even mildly intrigues you. Characterization is great, the plotting is tight...
Restu Aji
Saya suka bagian dimana Odysseus marah di depan orang-orang Troy. Dan saya suka karena Paris adalah karakter yang licik dan menyebalkan.
This "Age of Bronze" series getting intense on the third. Remains faithful with its two predecessor to portray historical Trojan war.
Shannon Appelcline
Age of Bronze continues with its dense storytelling and dense artwork.
Anggara Hadis
Anggara Hadis marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Aimee is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2015
  • Finder, Vol. 03: King of the Cats
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 10: The Brink of Life and Death  (Usagi Yojimbo #10)
  • The White Lama - Book 1: Reincarnation
  • The Return from Troy
  • Achilles
  • The Infinite Horizon
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 5: Black Wind (Lone Wolf and Cub, #5)
  • A Life Force
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2

Age of Bronze (10 books)
  • Age of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships
  • Age of Bronze Volume 2: Sacrifice
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3B: Betrayal (Part Two)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 1: Mil Naves #1 (Age of Bronze #1.1)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 2: Mil Naves #2 (Age of Bronze #1.2)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 3: Mil Naves #3 (Age of Bronze #1.3)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 4: Sacrificio #1 (Age of Bronze #2.1)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 5: Sacrificio #2 (Age of Bronze #2.2)
  • La edad de bronce, Vol. 6: Sacrificio #3 (Age of Bronze #2.3)