Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A: Betrayal (Part One)

Age Of Bronze, Vol. 3A: Betrayal (Age of Bronze #3A)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  17 reviews
High King Agamemnon lusts to conquer the wealthy city of Troy. He leads his army across the sea, fighting all the way. On the island of Tenedos just off the coast of Troy Achilles leads the attack. Spears fly and men die. When the dust settles, Achilles finds himself one step closer to his tragic fate. Meanwhile, the Trojans prepare their defenses and gather allies. Agamem...more
Trade Paperback
Published December 11th 2007 by Image Comics (first published July 19th 2007)

P.d.r. Lindsay

Graphic used to mean a novel of Lady Chatterly's ilk, now it means what aged me calls a comic. 'Age of Betrayal Part One', however is not the jolly 'Beano' comic, this book, written and illustrated by Eric Shanower, tells the first part of the story of the Trojan War. And it does it very well. At the front of the book there are detailed maps, a plan of Troy, a translation from Sophocles about Philoctetes, and an excellent summary of the story. At the back of the book are a glossary of names, a g...more
Andrew Anony
The continuing story of Age of Bronze finds the Achaeans arriving in Troy. There's a few nice pages of pre-war diplomacy and lots of drama surrounding love and sex.

Mark Flowers
These books are easily some of the greatest graphic novels I've ever read.
Terry
If you've read the other two, this is more of the same outstanding realization of the Iliad. Some of the secondary characters were too thinly developed for my liking, and there are many secondary characters. There's not much of Achilles as the story concentrates on Priam's court. We still haven't gotten to the first battle of the war, but the set up has been thorough.

I'm waiting for the next volume and hope Shanower can maintain the high standards he's established for himself.
Megan
Kind of a dip from the second volume, Sacrifice, but only because that one was so amazing it would be hard to top. Still an incredibly intricate and deep retelling of the Iliad. By the end of Betrayal, the war *still* hasn't started yet, but hopefully we're getting close. (I'm actually starting to wonder if Shanower is going to put us through the literary equivalent of 9 years waiting... but I for one am excited to see what he can do with that.)
Danie
Another solid part, though I was distressed to see that this is only 3A, and wondered if that meant that when he says out of seven volumes, will 3B be the equivalent Volume 4 or not.

But, that's neither here nor there. It is amazing art, and pretty good storytelling as well. An author after my own heart, taking all these different sources and trying to put it together into one cognizant story. Go Eric Shanower!
Joanna
Oh no! Interest in ancient Greece slipping, slipping, goooooone. I found this installment really, really boring. It's like... those few episodes in an otherwise excellent TV show that makes you go, OMG so bored! What are they doing with the characters? What's the conflict in this one? Where's the story? People are just wandering around, talking and crying and shouting.
Amauri
Same solid storytelling Shanower demonstrated in the previous volumes shines through here. His increased comfort illustrating the characters and settings also comes off the page, and in some scenes become more cartooning than before.

Be warned; after the drama and tragedy all over Volume 2 this is definitely a slow down in pace.
Aurora
I'm still enjoying this. Like, really alot. I love the way it brings the epic story to a human level, fills in emotions and backstory. But. How can we still not have started the actual war yet? Has he maybe gotten too attached to the characters? Or maybe he just doesn't want to leave anything out? Seriously, move it along.
George Marshall
What can I say? Brilliant! I adore this series which is one of the best things in the world of comics. The writing is superb. The art is consistently good, is sometimes a little scratchy. And the tale is gripping. I have written to Eric Shanower to beg him to keep going for the full course.
Phil Huff
Eric Shanower is retelling the Iliad in a series of graphic novels that translate the Greek poetry into contemporary prose, with highly detailed black and white illustrations.
Ed
You MUST read this series of graphic novels retelling the Homeric epics if the concept even mildly intrigues you. Characterization is great, the plotting is tight...
Restu Aji
Saya suka bagian dimana Odysseus marah di depan orang-orang Troy. Dan saya suka karena Paris adalah karakter yang licik dan menyebalkan.
Hilman
This "Age of Bronze" series getting intense on the third. Remains faithful with its two predecessor to portray historical Trojan war.
Shannon Appelcline
Age of Bronze continues with its dense storytelling and dense artwork.
Frantastika
Frantastika marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Oda Havnen
Oda Havnen marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Arnie Shunneson
Arnie Shunneson marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
  • Achilles
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 10: The Brink of Life and Death  (Usagi Yojimbo #10)
  • Finder, Vol. 04: Talisman
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 5: Black Wind (Lone Wolf and Cub, #5)
  • Moebius 1: Upon a Star (The Collected Fantasies of Jean Giraud, #1)
  • Homer's Daughter
  • Supreme Power, Volume 2: Powers and Principalities
  • A Life Force
  • The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance
  • An Iliad
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 3: It's A Good Life
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 11: The Black Goddess (B.P.R.D., #11)
  • Clan Apis
Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Oz: The Marvelous Land of Oz  (Marvel Classics) Age of Bronze Volume 1: A Thousand Ships Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics) Age of Bronze Volume 2: Sacrifice