Start by marking “Through the Eyes of a Child: An Introduction to Children's Literature” as Want to Read:
Through the Eyes of a Child: An Introduction to Children's Literature

Through the Eyes of a Child: An Introduction to Children's Literature

In its seventh edition, Through the Eyes of a Child: An Introduction to Children’s Literature continues to be a visually stunning, theoretically sound, comprehensive overview of children’s literature. It focuses squarely on selecting and evaluating quality literature to share with children and guiding them to appreciate and respond to that literature. This edition features

Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 694 pages
Published June 17th 2006 by Prentice Hall (first published 1990)

Terri Lynn
It took me a while to drag myself through this. There are many things I loved about it but then again, some other things forced me to reduce the stars I could give it.

On the one hand, this book has gorgeous illustrations from children's books throughout history and current books as well. I love children's book art! I also enjoyed reading about a wide variety of children's books and finding some interesting titles I want to read.

The downside is that essentially this book just lists one book aft
Apr 19, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this for my Children's Lit class. The chapters about picture books were a bit tedious to read. I felt more like I was reading a long book listing in paragraph form than information on how to choose and evaluate books. When it started getting into more YA books, I found it more interesting to read. I really enjoyed the class and felt that the book was a good learning tool for the curriculum, but I don't know if I would have gotten as much out of reading it had I not done t ...more
Robert
This was the textbook we used in my children's literature class during my first graduate program. This gives an overview of different genres of literature. I recall enjoying the book at the time, thus the three-star rating. Looking through the book now, there's not much for me. It's quite possible that when I was a tabla rasa, anything was endeared while now seasoned, and perhaps a bit salty, there's little to be gleaned.
Cara
Sep 08, 2013 Cara rated it liked it
Shelves: textbook, non-fiction
Once passed the first three chapters, which was all technical information, it really became interesting. It had a lot of good information about children's books: what age children should read certain books, activities, etc. I hadn't heard of many of the books and look forward to reading them to my son.
John
Aug 11, 2010 John rated it it was ok
Shelves: textbook
This was an interesting introduction to children's literature and literary techniques. There are significant portions of the book that are simply quotes from other books and authors. While it makes for a well-rounded textbook, it makes reading very dry.
Judy Pollard
Sep 12, 2013 Judy Pollard rated it it was ok
I had to read this for a children's media class & found it to be written like a report/term paper. Boring and not much in the way of new information. I did well in the class but am so glad I didn't buy this book.
Joel D. Michalski
Joel D. Michalski rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2016
Brystal
Brystal rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2014
April Brown
April Brown rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Tann
Tann rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2013
Matthew Beckwith
Matthew Beckwith rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2010
Sarah Feinman
Sarah Feinman rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2011
Isaac
Isaac rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Vinessa
Vinessa rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2009
Brittani Eicher
Brittani Eicher rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2017
Janette Ferryall
Janette Ferryall rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Sarah Duncan
Sarah Duncan rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2011
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
May 01, 2017
Pam O'brien
Pam O'brien rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Judy Kiddoo
Judy Kiddoo rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2015
K.J. Mecklenfeld
K.J. Mecklenfeld rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2011
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2007
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Marti
Dec 12, 2011 Marti rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
As far as text books go, it was pretty good.
Sam Amburgey
Sam Amburgey rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2011