Start by marking “Through the Eyes of a Child: An Introduction to Children's Literature (7th Edition)” as Want to Read:

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  7 reviews

In its seventh edition, Through the Eyes of a Child: An Introduction to Children’s Literature continues to be a visually stunning, theoretically sound, comprehensive overview of children’s literature. It focuses squarely on selecting and evaluating quality literature to share with children and guiding them to appreciate and respond to that literature. This edition features

Published June 17th 2006 by Prentice Hall (first published 1990)

Terri Lynn
It took me a while to drag myself through this. There are many things I loved about it but then again, some other things forced me to reduce the stars I could give it.

On the one hand, this book has gorgeous illustrations from children's books throughout history and current books as well. I love children's book art! I also enjoyed reading about a wide variety of children's books and finding some interesting titles I want to read.

The downside is that essentially this book just lists one book aft
I just finished reading this for my Children's Lit class. The chapters about picture books were a bit tedious to read. I felt more like I was reading a long book listing in paragraph form than information on how to choose and evaluate books. When it started getting into more YA books, I found it more interesting to read. I really enjoyed the class and felt that the book was a good learning tool for the curriculum, but I don't know if I would have gotten as much out of reading it had I not done t ...more
Robert
This was the textbook we used in my children's literature class during my first graduate program. This gives an overview of different genres of literature. I recall enjoying the book at the time, thus the three-star rating. Looking through the book now, there's not much for me. It's quite possible that when I was a tabla rasa, anything was endeared while now seasoned, and perhaps a bit salty, there's little to be gleaned.
Cara
Once passed the first three chapters, which was all technical information, it really became interesting. It had a lot of good information about children's books: what age children should read certain books, activities, etc. I hadn't heard of many of the books and look forward to reading them to my son.
John
This was an interesting introduction to children's literature and literary techniques. There are significant portions of the book that are simply quotes from other books and authors. While it makes for a well-rounded textbook, it makes reading very dry.
Judy Pollard
I had to read this for a children's media class & found it to be written like a report/term paper. Boring and not much in the way of new information. I did well in the class but am so glad I didn't buy this book.
Marti
Dec 12, 2011 Marti rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
As far as text books go, it was pretty good.
Tomqvaxy
Tomqvaxy marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Mia Shiek
Mia Shiek marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Mercedes Cortes
Mercedes Cortes marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
E
E added it
Oct 29, 2014
PJ Carter
PJ Carter marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Carissa Land
Carissa Land is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Kiza Jay
Kiza Jay marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Marlene Letendre
Marlene Letendre marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Ahabyah Of'zion
Ahabyah Of'zion marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Tracye Mathis
Tracye Mathis is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Farnaz Barmakipour
Farnaz Barmakipour marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Danielle Sales
Danielle Sales marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
J J
J J marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Maria
Maria added it
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Multicultural Children's Literature: Through the Eyes of Many Children Language Arts Activities for Children Literacy for Life Through the Eyes of Many Children: Multiculural Children's Literature Through the Eyes of a Child: An Introduction to Children's Literature- Text Only