Mastering Regular Expressions

Mastering Regular Expressions

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  879 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Regular expressions are an extremely powerful tool for manipulating text and data. They are now standard features in a wide range of languages and popular tools, including Perl, Python, Ruby, Java, VB.NET and C# (and any language using the .NET Framework), PHP, and MySQL.

If you don't use regular expressions yet, you will discover in this book a whole new world of mastery o...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 515 pages
Published August 18th 2006 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 8th 1997)

Igor Tsinman
Mastering Regular Expressions by Jeffrey E.F. Friedl это замечательная книга/учебник. Всем программистам иметь/читать обязательно. UNIX/Linux программистам я рекомендую прочитать эту книгу раз десять (т.е. выучить наизусть).

Без навыков написания regex очень сложно (практически невозможно) использовать sed, awk, shell, perl, python, etc. А без этого работать на UNIX системах не получится (исключение из этого правило это Java-Java программеры, которым в принципе все равно на какой системе работат...more
Mike
In writing code, regular expressions are used to find patterns in text. This book explains what they are and how to use them effectively. Chances are you will find out more than you ever wanted to know about them, and quite possibly more than can be immediately assimilated. The author stays focused on regular expressions; all his extensive examples are regex-specific, there is no time wasted on introducing language basics that the reader could easily find elsewhere. The transition from easy exam...more
Jesse Houwing
If you ever need to dive deeply into regular expressions, then this is the book to read. It doesn't just cover syntax, but dived deeply into state machines, optimizations and the way the engine's are generally implemented.

This book, however, doesn't tell you how to use each different dialect of Regex out there and some of the things the book explains might not be true for your regex engine of choice. I've used it a lot in conjunction with the Regular Expression Pocket Reference: Regular Expressi...more
Scott
I am reading "Mastering Regular Expressions" by Jeffrey Friedl, and am really enjoying it. Not only is it a topic that I find very interesting, but Jeffrey does a great job of leading you (and challenging you) on a path of discovering the power of regex. The narrative is sometimes a bit too self-conscious (the author never lets you forget that it's HIM doing the talking), but that can be forgiven because the book is well written and interesting.

I don't read a lot of technical, "geeky" books, so...more
K. M.
I read the first edition many years ago and while I don't remember the contents in detail, I get the impression that this edition has a much smoother opening than its predecessor, and is thus an easier book to read for less experienced programmers. The first few chapters teach the core techniques, with could recaps and summaries, as well as a lot of useful examples.

The second half of the book is much more advanced and focuses more on the technical aspects of regex engines, ways of maximizing ef...more
Doug Alcorn
Back when I read this book it was truly fantastic. No one else had ever dove as deeply into regular expressions. I don't think anyone has since either. However, regexps play a less crucial role than they used to. I still think the book is worth reading if only to get over your fear of regexps.
Yuri
This was my first book on Regular Expression, so I won't be saying that it is the best or most thorough (no real frame of reference), like some other reviewers do. However, I love the style, the layout, the amount of detail, ... everything about this book. I tend to read a few books on a subject I am researching, because I feel like certain things were not covered or were covered poorly. I will not be picking up another book on RegEx. I will certainly revisit this book from time to time.

I canno...more
Dave Peticolas

A very thorough treatment of the practical use of regular expressions.

Eduardo
This is not a book *only* about RE but also about the differences in how the main RE engines work. It's written in a slow peace that allows for an easy reading without passing from beginner to absolute complexity.
And don't be frightned by the number of pages since the last 200 or so are about particularities in 4 differente languages that you, as me, may not read until really needed.

That being said, is a great book to get a deep insight in RE.
Aaron M
The thing about this book is that it one of those rare texts that can be read cover to cover or used as a reference. This is what we can only wish a textbook would be like.

The book is intense. For practical purposes, you should at the very least read the section covering the basics. That will give you an understanding that will cover 90% of what you might need to do in the real world. After that you can use it to look up issues as they come.
Jon Gauthier
I've been writing regexes for years, but this book still offered new information on the in-depth workings of regex engines and how to optimize expressions by taking advantage of the engine's strong areas.

If you think you already have a good understanding of regular expressions, you can safely skip to chapter 4. The author includes cross references everywhere, so you can still catch up on some minor detail you may have missed.
Al
Sep 18, 2007 Al rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: geeks
Heh, heh. I said "Mastering"

Regular Expressions (or RegEx) are a powerful way to recognize and define complex patterns in strings.

My 4-year-old daughter is learning math, and they're starting by teaching her to recognize patterns.

All of research is merely the recognition of patters in data.

This is a really, really important, fundamental, atomic concept. One that I have yet to say I've "Mastered". Heh.
Alpha
I thought I was pretty good at regular expressions, but this book puts me to shame. It also makes me glad that I don't have to worry about optimizing them or using them for anything besides quick REPL-type things. Fantastic for anyone who does need a deeper knowledge of regexen. Still quite good for people at my level, where more technical knowledge is helpful, even if it isn't necessary.
David
Before O'Reilly started trying to be hip and cool and coining terms like "Web 2.0", they used to write books that didn't suck. This is one of them.

Think you know regular expressions? This book isn't a simple introduction that fades out somewhere near character classes. It's called "Mastering Regular Expressions", and that indeed is it's intent.
Robert
I didn't read the book right through, as certain content was not applicable to my knowledge at this point in time, but I found the writing style, information level provided and detail of explaination to be fantastic from this book. Really happy to have found it, currently got this in eBook format but likely to buy it paper format for my desk.
Chris
Reading this was fantastically useful, I finished just recently but the new knowledge has already earned its keep. It's like taking an intro class on the history and implementation of regex engines from an excellent professor, sans homework and exams.
Abraao Lourenco
Read this book, understand it, become a regular expression master. This is THE book to read if you want to learn about how regular expression work, and how to use them efficiently.
Christian
This was a great intro to RegExes. The first few chapters give you a thorough introduction to the subject and the rest of the book is just gravy.
Phoenixfly
the 'must have' book for all computer programmer, because we can learn how to catch a line of character from long string or text.
Artur A
Sep 12, 2012 Artur A rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every programmer
Shelves: it
Fantastic!
Before reading this book I thought that somehow knew regular expression, but truly the understanding came after the book.
j monty
While I believe the author to be a bit of a show-off, the book is good stuff. Required for anyone serious about Regular Expressions.
D
If you want to meaningfully grok regex, this is probably a good reference. Not your casual beach reading material, to be sure.
M Sheik Uduman Ali
Pleasure learning about Regular Expressions, though I know the concept well.
Must read book for all IT students and developers
James
This is on the back-burner for a bit. I read about 1/4 of the book - it proved to be very useful and insightful.
Doug Stewart
THE book on RegEx. No matter how much you know about Regular Expressions, this is the book that will make you better.
Peter Kahn
It doesn't read like a novel, but regex is the most useful tool I have got. It's well worth learning the ins and outs
Erik
Jul 06, 2008 Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Programmers
A great book for those interested in the intricacies and power of regular expressions, especially perl compatible ones.
Mikhail Vaysman
Это должен прочесть каждый! Множество вопросов с регулярными выражениями после прочтения этой книги пропали!
Ivo Stoykov
Good and useful book. Everyone feeling confused with regular expression could start from here
Nick Black
I would have expected both more theory and detail regarding implementation from such a book.
Like this book? Join the O'Reilly Media Fan Page 1 9 Oct 28, 2009 09:23AM
  • TCP/IP Network Administration
  • The Art of Unix Programming
  • Version Control with Git

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jeffrey worked for Omron Tateishi Denki (1989-1997) and Yahoo! Finance (1997-2005), but now lives in Kyoto, Japan with his family.
More about Jeffrey E.F. Friedl...