Start by marking “Upon This Rock: A History of the Papacy From Peter to John Paul II” as Want to Read:
Upon This Rock: A History of the Papacy From Peter to John Paul II

Upon This Rock: A History of the Papacy From Peter to John Paul II

Saint Louis University professor Thomas F. Madden delivers lectures on the history of the papacy and also sheds light on the personalities of the popes and the flavor of their pontificates. At the same time, Madden demonstrates how the papacy has survived the tumultuous cauldron of history and offers a studied commentary on the future of this resilient institution.
Published (first published March 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Upon This Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon This Rock

Mona
Aug 04, 2016 Mona rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
WHY I CHOSE THIS BOOK: Part of my journey to understand the religious beliefs of the world. Plus this is not just religious theory but history which I really like.
SUMMARY: The history of not just the papacy but of the world during the time of the papacy.
REVIEW: This was fascinating. I learned a lot not just about the history of the Catholic church but of other religious denominations and of the world. Because religious institutions do not get born, grow and flounder within a vacuum. They not onl
Carlos Burga
Jul 11, 2014 Carlos Burga rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
This was the first audio-book that I ever listened and I have to admit that it was surprisingly good. It goes without saying that Madden puts his own spin on several aspects of the more than occasionally scandalous history of the papacy, but he manages to do so while genuinely informing the reader of the great changes that this institution saw throughout the ages. More importantly, however, Madden also manages to make this more than a list of fun-facts of the more than 200 men who have sat on ...more
Ubalstecha
Apr 04, 2011 Ubalstecha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
This book on CD is really a series of lectures on the history of the papacy. Learned quite a bit about the history of Europe at the same time. Nice to listen to while I am making my dinner or doing chores.
Ellis
Jul 16, 2009 Ellis rated it really liked it
Since I'll start working at a Catholic University in August, I figured I should learn some more stuff about Catholicism. Thus begins the Catholicism "reading" series.
John Wright
John Wright rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
King Cotton
King Cotton rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2010
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Connor Murphy
Connor Murphy rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Belatech
Belatech rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Brad Carle
Brad Carle rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Blakely Porter
Blakely Porter rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Stacie
Stacie rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2013
Mike Bralish
Mike Bralish rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Melinda
Melinda rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Eva
Eva rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2011
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Brayan Lopez
Brayan Lopez rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Lector Inspector
Lector Inspector rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2013
Krista
Krista rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2009
Joe Perez
Joe Perez rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Don Markland
Don Markland rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Ron McClain
Ron McClain rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Luke Langley
Luke Langley rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Peter Zellner
Peter Zellner rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Thomas F. Madden (born 1960) is an American historian, the Chair of the History Department at Saint Louis University in St. Louis, Missouri, and Director of Saint Louis University's Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies.

He is considered one of the foremost historians of the Crusades in the United States. He has frequently appeared in the media, as a consultant for various programs on the His
More about Thomas F. Madden...