Start by marking “You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton?” as Want to Read:

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Who says women shouldn't speak in public? And why can't they vote?These are questions Elizabeth Cady Stanton grew up asking herself. Her father believed that girls didn't count as much as boys, and her own husband once got so embarrassed when she spoke at a convention that he left town. Luckily Lizziewasn't one to let society stop her from fighting for equality for everyon ...more
Published February 15th 1999 by Puffin Books (first published September 12th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton?

Kathryn
I checked this out from the library thinking it would be one of Jean Fritz's picture books such as Where Was Patrick Henry on the 29th of May?--which I love! It actually ended up being a 76 page biography (with a few illustrations) but was still wonderfully lively, sensitive and humorous--not to mention informative! I am probably biased, because I pretty much love anything Jean Fritz writes and I think her talent for making historical figures seem real and approachable for young people (without ...more
Dolly
Nov 16, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This book offers a detailed look at Elizabeth Cady Stanton's life. The narrative is a bit long, but is still a fascinating read.

We recently read Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?, also by Jean Fritz, and we are coming to appreciate her wit and ability to bring these historical figures to life.

I think we liked the book about Mr. Adams a bit better, though. I think this book could've benefitted from some further edits - the narrative was a bit tedious in places.

There are not many illustrati
Mary
Nov 14, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
From Booklist
Gr. 3-7. This is Fritz at her ebullient best, writing a historical biography that weaves together the life of a spirited leader and the fight for her cause. In this case, the fight is for women's suffrage. Without fictionalization, Fritz re-creates Stanton's decisive, impatient, outspoken personality. "Elizabeth had never heard of anything so ridiculous" is a constant refrain from Stanton's childhood on through her domestic life and her long years of politics. The friendship between
Miz Lizzie
Lizzie Stanton's uphill battle for woman's suffrage is told in a well-written and accessible biography for children. Her fierce spirit and independence were initially supported by her husband but then largely benignly ignored as he left her with a constantly growing household of children in upstate New York while he did his own work, only occasionally coming back to visit. With the support of her female friends, Lizzie wrote and spoke tirelessly for women's right to sovereignty, especially after ...more
Anna
Nov 18, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton? / Jean Fritz / 1995
Genre: non-fiction
Format: juvenile non-fiction

Plot Summary: A biography of one of the first leaders of the women's rights movement, whose work led to the adoption of the nineteenth amendment--women's right to vote.

Considerations: discussion of politics, antiquated gender roles

Review Citation:
Kirkus Reviews, July 15, 1995
"She comes alive for middle graders in a narrative with almost novelistic pacing, a dose of humor, and an affectionate
Cathy Cramer
I read this after my 5th grader for required reading. It includes some interesting tales and side stories along the path towards woman's suffrage, but some of it was a little dry. Stories of Lizzie Stanton's homelife ranged from ridiculously funny to profoundly sad. Apparently, she got her start in the women's movement trying to prove to her dad that she was as good as the living son he never had. Towards the end of her life, she regretted that she had been without a man "to reverence and worshi ...more
Onysha
Mar 08, 2014 Onysha rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Jean Fritz's books are always a joy to read. Her writing is vibrant, and characterization excellent. She has the knack of getting under the skin of her subjects and becoming one with them, in a way.

This was a good book about the fight for women's suffrage. Very informative and eye-opening. I don't agree with everything Stanton thought, though. I do understand her dissatisfaction with the church anti-women's suffrage stance. I am just as unhappy as she was in that.

I understand Fritz was writing
Amy
Sep 12, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: sonlight
I've read better by Jean Fritz. Not a bad read, but also not one really worth the time. This might work for its intended audience (much younger readers than me!) but more from lack of viable alternatives than merit.
Tara
Apr 24, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eced-221
Jean Fritz
This book is about Elizabeth Stanton and her fight for women's freedom when it came to vote and other things women were not allowed to do that men were. She worked with Susan B. Anthony on the woman's suffrage movement for a long time. Stanton's husband was embarrassed that his wife was fighting for these types of freedom and equal treatment between men and women especially voting. When Stanton had children she refused to leave them during the first year that they were born so this lim
Haley
Apr 05, 2014 Haley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haley Gleeson

By: Jean Fritz
Lizzie Stanton was born in 1815 in Johnstown New York. Lizzie had two other sisters. One named Harriet who was five years older than her. Another named Margaret that was three years
younger than her. Lizzie’s father always wanted her to be a boy but that only made her more determined to do more.
When Lizzie won a prize for Latin and thought her father would be proud her father only responded “I wish you were a boy”. She wanted
Reily Riemersma
this story is about Elizabeth Stanton, the lively, unconventional spokeswoman of the woman suffrage movement. Convinced from an early age that women should have the same rights as men, Lizzie embarked on a career that changed America.

We all know this story but im not so sure if everyone has read this book. This is a great book that everybody should read. especially people interested in American history. This woman changed ameica forever by having a voice.
Jan 08, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
This is a pretty good short biography of Elizabeth Cady Stanton that doesn't pull any punches but also seems to talk down a little bit to the reader. For shame, I didn't know that much about her before I read this book, so I feel more educated now about one of the really important pioneers of the women's movement, and her relationships with other important people like Susan B. Anthony and Lucretia Mott. But it wasn't really very gripping or anything. Just sort of "this happened, and then that ha ...more
Kristen
May 13, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Fifth grade +.

The story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton - her life and her fight for women's sufferage. Though not liberally radical, "Lizzie" stood firm in her beliefs as she worked to raise a large family while speaking for her cause in the political arena.

A very complete and detailed history. Depicts the struggles of women and their rights through the later 1800's.
Ashwise
Jul 02, 2014 Ashwise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Read this for a speech I had to write for the 6th grade speech contest. Loved the story and how Stanton made a career of women's rights and never wavered in the face of opposition, sadly she died 18 years before women FINALLY gained the right to vote.
AmyNikita
May 14, 2016 AmyNikita rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

An inspiring, absorbing look into the life of an amazing, courageous woman. Women have certainly come a long way, but who says we should stop now?
We have a lot to learn from Stanton and those suffragettes, and this book was interesting and informative :)
Gena Lott
May 19, 2015 Gena Lott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fritz does a good job of getting straight to the point in children's biographies. This quick narrative of Lizzie Stanton's contribution to women's suffrage is a great starting point.
Verkizen
You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton? by Jean Fritz is an interesting attempt at conveying a historical figure to young children through biography. Maybe it's because I'm more critical of non-fiction than fiction but I didn't enjoy this too much. I have a very large part of my heart dedicated to women's suffrage, and my actual research of it isn't high, so maybe I wanted more from this book than it could reasonably give me. Although I would like to believe that children can handle facts in a m ...more
Wendy Mills
Mar 14, 2015 Wendy Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You Want Women to Vote Lizzie Stanton? By Jean Fritz. New Read. Cute book that breaks down for young readers the life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the important work she did during her life time.
Natalie Quinn
May 09, 2012 Natalie Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great piece of literature to add to a classroom library. Falls under the category of biography and is a wonderful tale of the leader of the women's suffrage movement, Elizabeth Cady Stanton. This biography is a whole life biography and shows that even though Lizzie grew up in a time where women didn't have many rights, and that was the norm, she knew something wasn't right and had the courage to try and make a difference.
Kathleen
I really appreciate Jean Fritz's style and skill, and although I knew about Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the women's suffrage movement, this biography brought it to sparkling life. This is the third or fourth of Fritz's books I've read, and I've yet to be the least disappointed. Share a lot of it with a 7th-grade student tonight, and he was mightily impressed. Good work!
Wendi
Jean Fritz makes history very accessible. I liked hearing how this woman was able to marry and have a family while also maintaining her feminist ideals, friends, and actions. People often think feminism and traditional values are incompatible but many feminists have proven otherwise.
Maria
I'll be buying this for my classroom. So much information I never knew!
Shannon Clark
Sep 12, 2011 Shannon Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to read kids' books about historical people who made a difference by fighting for what they believe in. Actually, I just like to read about historical people (kid books, not adult books). :) This will be a great one for me to promote in my classroom.
Anne Broyles
Jul 21, 2009 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I am quite familiar with this story, I enjoyed Fritz' lively writing style and the way she uses real-life anecdotes to make the characters come alive. Not easy to do in non-fiction! I especially liked Lizzie's almost-curse, "Men and angels!"
Shayla Miller
Jul 18, 2010 Shayla Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This biography is sure to capture a student's attention. Engage students in Stanton's humorous anecdotes while still practicing nonfiction analysis. Also, this can be directly tied into a Constitutional Amendments lesson.
Dawn Roberts
Oct 13, 2013 Dawn Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, interesting biography of one of the leaders of the Women's Suffrage movement. Not an entirely sympathetic character, but an interesting story. On the 8th grade reading list for us this year.
Isaiah the Ox
May 08, 2015 Isaiah the Ox rated it really liked it
Recommended to Isaiah the Ox by: Sonlight
A very good biography. It has been one of my favorite school books this year. Jean Fritz is an amazing author and she seems to have done a lot of research for this.
Duzzlebrarian
Light on word count, but gets the story across. Short, concise but readable biography, of someone I had heard about, but wasn't taught about at school.
Ben Lind
For a required school book, it was surprisingly good. But for just a "sit down and read something good" book, I would definitely not recommend it.
Emily
Feb 11, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids 8-12 who need a biography book report
This 77-pager is a pefectly brief overview of the life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton, who worked for decades for women's rights and suffrage.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity
  • After the War
  • The Road from Home: A True Story of Courage, Survival, and Hope
  • Father's Arcane Daughter
  • Made You Look: How Advertising Works and Why You Should Know
  • Labor's Untold Story
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
  • Martha Washington: America's First Lady
  • Parallel Journeys
  • Queen Eleanor: Independent Spirit of the Medieval World
  • Heart to Heart: New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art
Jean Fritz is a children’s author who has a fascination with writing historical fictions. She was born on November 16, 1915, in Hankow, China to missionary parents. After living in China for 13 years, Fritz and her family moved back to the United States. Beginning her career with an English degree, Fritz became an award-winning and respected author. She has received an honor for every book that sh ...more
More about Jean Fritz...