Start by marking “Just Me and My Babysitter (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just Me and My Babysitter (Little Critter)

Just Me and My Babysitter (Little Critter)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Little Critter does his enthusiastic best to help his babysitter, although his efforts frequently make a bad situation worse.
Published February 1st 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Just Me and My Babysitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Me and My Babysitter

Caycee Hatchette
Personal Reaction: The liked this book. I thought it was funny and I even remember reading some of the little critter books when I was a kid.

I think that this book is probably better suited for kindergarteners and first graders because the language used is simplistic. There aren't any words that would be too challenging for the students. I think it is also a fun book to read aloud because the words and illustrations are opposite of each other. After reading a page, you could ask the students wha
Spencer Moser
Just Me and My Babysitter is about critter who is being babysat with his sister. He claims to be very good at helping the babysitter out with the chores and going to bed on time. It's interesting because the words are saying one thing, but by the pictures you can tell that Critter is not actually being helpful. I think that the words are from the perspective of the child (Critter) and the pictures are from the perspective of the Adults. (Babysitter)
Connie
We have a lot of Little Critter books.

They're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

This one shows how Little Critter behaves with his babysitter.

The text suggests that he's a model child - he helps out, he goes to bed on time, that sort of thing.

The illustrations show that he kinda makes a mess, and refuses to go to bed, and his sitter falls asleep before he does. Hee.

My nieces know that this is unrealistic behavior, but that just makes it funnier to them. We talk about how t
Kyayzha
He going to read a book then they watch tv they fall asleep
Eva Leger
Jun 29, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Eva by: library
Shelves: julias-books
This was just as good as any Little Critter book - Julia liked it maybe a little more than usual because having a babysitter outside of the family is alien to her. Since the babysitter in this story is a cow it's obvious she's not a family member and she picked right up on that and asked some questions about the lack of babysitters for her. :)
Becca S
Oct 29, 2007 Becca S rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
years ago a lady who's daycare I worked at in Jr. High got me a copy of this book because she knew how much I loved the Little Critters series. Seriously a great gift.
Alvera
As usual, it's fun to see the irony between what Little Critter is saying and what the illustrations show is really happening. A fun, easy, amusing read.
Adrienne
I love the little critter and how he thinks he's so helpful but is really creating more problems! He's so cute, though!
Katie Beck
This is a very cute book. Although the little critter's help often causes messes it shows children ways they can help.
Anam
I remember this as the first book I ever read by myself!
Partridge Public
Mayer, Mercer K-1st
Mrs Grande
Mrs Grande marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
  • Little Quack's Bedtime
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Bully
  • Franklin Is Lost
  • Arthur's Birthday (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • I Love It When You Smile
  • Merry Christmas, Mouse!
  • Fancy Nancy's Elegant Easter
  • Hush Little Polar Bear
  • Curious George Goes to School
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Dogs?
  • Strega Nona Meets Her Match
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)
Just Go to Bed Just for You (Little Critter) Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) I Was So Mad There's a Nightmare in My Closet