Start by marking “Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)

Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery #3)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When it comes to sleuthing, she's not horsing around...

When full-time vet and part-time sleuth Jessica Popper is asked to treat a billionaire's ailing horse, she gets a deadly glimpse into the lifestyles of the rich and felonious….

Murder gallops after Jessie when an emergency call sends the traveling vet to a posh Long Island estate with her one-eyed Dalmatian, Lou, and he
Published May 31st 2005 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Lead a Horse to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lead a Horse to Murder

Angela Carrigan
Interesting mystery

It is a touch vapid and another touch unrealistic, but the storyline dragged me in.

The story follows the heroine through several twists and turns. Hints are far and few between, you won't be likely to guess the ending before you read it.

This time, the veterinary and animal references are more believable. The author is starting to learn that fans expect accuracy.

Overall, it is a good mystery for killing time provided you don't expect earth shaking revelations. This is a vacat
May 25, 2010 Tammy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cozy mystery readers
Easy read but not one of my favorites ........ probably won't read any more of this series for a while ....

Moving on .... more books to read, more mysteries to solve ....
Julie H.
Still set on Long Island, Jessica Popper is still a vet, she expands her loveable crew of animal companions by one, she's still dating Nick Burby who remains utterly overbearing and insensitive given their past history. While I like Jessie, her pets (esp. the dogs), her ability to get accidentally involved in sleuthing, and the opportunity the story affords to learn about polo (the sport of kings or the king of sports?), I am really sick of Nick. It's time to dump him and move on already--esp. a ...more
Though the books in this series are decidedly better than my first impression (meaning halfway through the first book), they still lack that "umph" factor that draws me into the story and makes me forget all else. I don't believe the gift of dialogue is Baxter's forte, and therein lies one of my problems. I have to overcome the obstacle of "twitchy talking" its my own reference for conversations and inner dialogue that doesn't flow (seriously, coined it spur of the moment genius-like, and it tot ...more
Lead a Horse to Murder is the third installment of the "Reighning Cats and Dogs Mystery Series." I'm a sucker for these books, but this one, while light and interesting, is a tad annoying. I started to wonder about half way through if Baxter were contractually obligated to write another book because this one seemed thrown together. The dialogue was stilted and the story read more like the history of polo at times. The never-ending parade of stupidity that constitutes Jessica's actions is a bit l ...more
Interesting that I read this one at bedtime while I listened in the car to "Whisker of Evil" by Rita Mae Brown. Ms. Brown's book was about horse breeding, and this one was about Polo. I'm filled with horse sense!
I know so very little about horses and even less about polo but this story opened my eyes to a world cat lovers like myself are not in tune with.
I've read this series out of order and have found them to be particularly uneven. I liked this one quite a bit. The characters are reletively well drawn, there are not so many suspects that it becomes rediculous, Nick and Jessie's relationship is way on the back burner (and thus not annoying), and there is some actual vet references and veterinary medicine ties in with the murder plot. I also found the poio theme interesting.
Another cozy mystery series which is based on a veterinarian and she stumbles on her mysteries by having a vet-mobile to visit her patients which also gives her the chance to find all kinds of murders that she can solve. This series involves animals, but not the talking type. I enjoyed these WHEN I just wanted very light reading….
Another easy reading mystery in this series. They aren't great, but they are good enough that I keep reading the series. Dr Popper gets annoying at times because she decides at some point that everyone is one the possible list of suspects sometimes without much reason. Her boyfriend Nick should also just give up and find someone that appreciates him.
This series is slowly improving. There are still some painfully obvious red herrings, and the murderer becomes apparent about half-way through the book. Jessie herself, however, has improved to the point that I only rolled my eyes at her stupidity a couple of times.
The third book I've read in the series and I wasn't thrilled by it. I know that they're just fun easy-read mysteries, but I still wanted more. The cast a characters were too stereotypical and not likable. It was still a nice light book, but don't expect too much.
Pat Beard
Got sidetracked in the middle so obviously wasn't glued to my seat but it was a pretty good cozy.
Sara Bartlett
This was fun, not a great author but a fun author and the plot was interesting and well developed. I enjoyed the book as a great escape...if you want to lay back and forget about everything and focus on a fun book, this is it.
This was a quick read, and I liked the animals in the story. But the human characters were not that credible. That's why the book only got an ok and not a like.
Jul 26, 2011 Janet added it
Very cool. I liked the polo-pony theme a lot. She is driving me nuts with the "renaming" of Long Island places, but I think I'll get over it
Susan Miller
Enjoyed the story and characters. Good lesson in the history of polo given and a glimpse of the incredibly wealthy. I liked the stories sad twist.
This is another good read from the Jessica Popper DMV cozy series. A good read with revenge, suspense and lots of intrigue for this cozy mystery.
Another great book by Baxter. Her books are fresh, easy and pleasant to read. A must for all pet lovers\mystery lovers.
A murder mystery with vets and horses. A must read for me!
Robert Van Tuyl
Good solid story of a Vet whose hobby is murder.
I really liked this book and I love this series.
#3 Reigning Cats & Dogs mystery series
Crystal Lunt
Crystal Lunt marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Karen N Fawver
Karen N Fawver marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Terri marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Kristy marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
  • Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #4)
  • Hades
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Murder Well-Done (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #4)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • Hiss of Death (Mrs. Murphy, #19)
  • Body Wave (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #4)
  • Dylan and the Baby Doctor
  • Death Reins In (Horse Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Fat Chance (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #3)
  • Murder Can Botch Up Your Birthday (Desiree Shapiro Mystery #11)
(from author's website)

Dear Reader,

Thanks for taking the time to check out my web site! I love the fact that the Internet makes it so easy to "talk" to readers (and to hear from them, too - my email address is below).

My favorite thing to do is read - and my second favorite is to write. Since 2003, I've been writing The Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery Series, which features veterinarian Jessica Po
More about Cynthia Baxter...

Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery (9 books)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)
  • Hare Today, Dead Tomorrow (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #4)
  • Right from the Gecko (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #5)
  • Who's Kitten Who? (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #6)
  • Monkey See, Monkey Die (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #7)
  • Murder Had a Little Lamb (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #8)
  • Crossing the Lion (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #9)
Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1) Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2) Murder Packs a Suitcase (Murder Packs a Suitcase, #1) Hare Today, Dead Tomorrow (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #4) Right from the Gecko (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #5)