Start by marking “Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)

Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery #2)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A charity dog show has Jessica hitting the road with her faithful one-eyed Dalmatian, Lou, and her tailless Westie, Max, for the palatial summer estates of Long Island's fabled East End. When she arrives, the posh seaside community is crawling with stars eager to take best in show for their beloved pooches. But it's murder most tacky when a celebrity photographer is felled ...more
Published August 31st 2004 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Putting On The Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Putting On The Dog

I don’t know what it is about Dr. Jessie Popper, but she has got to be the most annoying character I’ve come across in a long time. The plot is great, most of the characters are enjoyable, but there something about Jessie that sets my teeth on edge. I don’t know if it’s her prickly demeanor whenever she perceives someone’s telling her what to do or her sheer boneheaded stupidity when it comes to her love life. I forced myself to read the book in spite of the heroine, which is never a good sign.
This is the second book latest of Cynthia's Baxter's series with Dr. Jessica Popper. It's a good book with twists and turns about a dog shadow and an ice statue with revenge and intrigue. A good read.
Julie H.
This second entry in the "Reigning Cats and Dogs" series takes you to the star-studded (and thinly veiled) "Bromptons" (a.k.a. the Hamptons). An overly zealous photographer is killed by a 200-pound ice sculpture, and Dr. Jessica Popper--who happens to be attending the ASCPA-sponsored event at which this (un)fortunate event unfolds--investigates. Possibly because the first book in the series got a bit of the character development out of the way, this one is a much better (i.e., more complex) myst ...more
Some spoilers......

First book for me by this author despite it being the second book. The book started out pretty good for me actually. The lead was likeable I like the dogs But from the arrival of Nick it all fell downhill for me and its not because Nick is a bad character. I hated how self-righteous she was and some of the decisions she has made on her love life made me want to throw something at her. I felt that the book might be better if she was more likeable as the story progresses. Maybe
This (Book #2) was actually my favorite of the "Reigning Cats and Dogs Mystery Series." This installment finds Jessica Popper and her canine sidekicks venturing to the ritzy East End of Long Island to work at a charity dog show. At a reception, an annoying photographer is killed by a giant ice sculpture. Accident or not? Jessica is determined to find out. This book is a more entertaining read as there is a bit of an assumption that you know the characters somewhat and it can avoid the main chara ...more
Pat Beard
Nicely done. I didn't get the killer until near the end and never got the motive at all. Characters are really well done in this series. Looking forward to the next.
I could see myself at this dog show and I loved the way the characters all came into place. This is a fun series and I am really enjoing it.
Fun light read.
Julie Marks
Veterinarian Jessica Popper thinks volunteering at the "Ask the Vet" booth at the SPCA charity dog show on Long Island's celebrity filled East End will be fun and relaxing. When a famous tabloid photographer is found dead at the opening benefit dinner, Dr. Popper (not Dr. Pepper!) discovers the animal instinct in the large cast of dog lovers who could have had motives. Maybe Jessie will get a vacation in the next installment of the "Reigning Cats and Dogs" mystery series...

Another cozy mystery series which is based on a veterinarian and she stumbles on her mysteries by having a vet-mobile to visit her patients which also gives her the chance to find all kinds of murders that she can solve. This series involves animals, but not the talking type. I enjoyed these WHEN I just wanted very light reading….
I liked this one more than some of the others in the Cats & Dogs Mysteries, probably because of the glamorous setting and characters she encounters.
The constant peril the main character manages to get in to, however, gets a bit old after reading the first few books. Of COURSE the murderer somehow finds and captures her. Of COURSE she's saved just before imminent death... It's a fun read, but a little cliche.

Cute dog mystery - little slow.
I can't say it was my favorite mystery, maybe I'm missing some key info since I started on the second book. It just didn't grab my attention the way I had hoped. I'll go back and give the first book a try sometime. The story plot was interesting which makes me want to start the first book to see if I missed some key character info.
A fun mystery read. I like her series because it centers so much around animals. Her charactors are likable and their pets are adorable. For the most part keeps you guessing til the end. Just good fun mystery without the gory details.
The series is definitely getting better than my first impression of them. Its still not as thrilling or as well written as some of my other favorite sleuthing character books, but not bad.
Charming, easy read--excellent for the train I was sitting on. Also, added points because the protagonist is a graduate of my alma mater!
Sandy Quinn
This book is an easy read, and doesn't require a lot of mental involvement, perfect for me in my current state (Burned Out)
Joyce Cresswell-wargo
You really have to like dogs to enjoy this book.It was a quick read and didn't require much concentration.
Lucy Whitlow
Oct 02, 2007 Lucy Whitlow added it
Recommends it for: Animal/mystery readers
This book was mindless reading. The story was good, but the writing left a lot to be desired.
Robert Van Tuyl
Dr. Popper keeps stumbling across murders because she won't be told to stop looking.
Fun, easy read. Dr Jessica Popper is personable and fairly realistic.
Nov 04, 2007 Hayseed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog mysteries
Good brain candy, dogs are cute in the story. Decent mystery.
Love the westie in it...good murder mysteries
Good end of summer read, light, and fun.
Excellent. Loved the dog show theme.
#2 Reigning Cats & Dogs mystery series
Held my interest. Nice read.
We read this for our Book Club, and I thought it was going to be some frothy mystery, but it turned out to be pretty good! Love dogs, so a book about an intelligent veterinarian and her pets who solve murders is a winner! Nice setting in the Hamptons, though why she had to call them the Bromptons is a mystery in itself!
Shana marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
  • Bride & Groom (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #16)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • Saddled with Trouble (Horse Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #3)
  • Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey, #4)
  • Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
(from author's website)

Dear Reader,

Thanks for taking the time to check out my web site! I love the fact that the Internet makes it so easy to "talk" to readers (and to hear from them, too - my email address is below).

My favorite thing to do is read - and my second favorite is to write. Since 2003, I've been writing The Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery Series, which features veterinarian Jessica Po
More about Cynthia Baxter...

Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery (9 books)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)
  • Hare Today, Dead Tomorrow (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #4)
  • Right from the Gecko (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #5)
  • Who's Kitten Who? (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #6)
  • Monkey See, Monkey Die (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #7)
  • Murder Had a Little Lamb (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #8)
  • Crossing the Lion (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #9)