Start by marking “Character Matters: How to Help Our Children Develop Good Judgment, Integrity, and Other Essential Virtues” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Award-winning psychologist and educator Thomas Lickona offers more than one hundred practical strategies that parents and schools have used to help kids build strong personal character as the foundation for a purposeful, productive, and fulfilling life.

Succeeding in life takes character, and Lickona shows how irresponsible and destructive behavior can invariably be traced
Published February 10th 2004 by Touchstone (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Character Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Character Matters

Krista
I did a search at my local library for books on virtues or character to supplement a series of books I am currently writing with my girls on some of the virtues we have been asked to focus on this school year. The search found a bunch, but the first I actually read was this gem that was written in 2004 by a professor at SUNY Cortland, which I was so pleasantly surprised by, since I went to a SUNY school myself.

There are so very many useful suggestions in here, many targeted at the schools, and
Jill
It seems as if the author has done SO MUCH research from other books and taken the most applicable pieces - it's wonderful. He refers to a lot of other books and experiences to help people learn how to implement teaching moral character in their schools. I skipped a lot of what didn't apply to our circumstances, as it was geared more toward school teachers in a public arena. I appreciated his suggestions though, especially the discussion on teaching manners and expectations and that it really is ...more
Mrs. Riding
Reading this with the staff at Bennion Elementary. It is excellent. The author not only develops the case for why we need to be concerned about character education, but specifics about how.

I've been assigned to review chapter six with the staff. It has to do with integrity, in particular copyright. I'm looking forward to the discussion as this is a tough subject to fully understand.
I had to read this book for a class and really enjoyed it. The topic is interesting to me and what I appreciated the most is that while it referenced scientific studies, etc the material was presented in a way that made it easy for the non-scientist or psychologist to easily understand! I am looking forward to putting some of the ideas to use in my classroom this fall.
Amy
Excellent. Out of all the reading I've done professionally lately, this is something that stuck with me personally and I will carry with me for the rest of my life. How can we raise children of character in the midst of a society that has largely eschewed these values?
Leanna Aker
A ton of practical ideas for including character education in both formal and informal ways. I tired a bit of the "laundry list" style writing in the book after several chapters, but I'm sure I will refer back to this from time to time to get some motivation. :-)
Levine
It took months for me to finish this book. Even so, I find this book is useful in order to develop people's character. I've tried one of the strategy on page 291 to my first graders, and they loved it. Let's see how it works then ;D
Kammera
Jun 05, 2011 Kammera rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers, counselors, parents
This is a MUST read for teachers trying to instill values and positive character traits. so many useful ideas and web resources to use.
Michelle H
Excellent for dealing with a tween! Oh those were they years! I survived...three to go...
Sancheza
I have been using books by Thomas Lickona for my English 313 research paper.
Naylashofiaswift
Naylashofiaswift marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Akhmad
Akhmad marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Evette Anderson
Evette Anderson marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Rin
Rin added it
Feb 02, 2015
Adria Ross
Adria Ross marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Celani Moyo
Celani Moyo marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Jerry Anderson
Jerry Anderson marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Siddiqoh
Siddiqoh marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Melia
Melia marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Educating for Character: How Our Schools Can Teach Respect and Responsibility Raising Good Children: From Birth Through The Teenage Years Smart and Good High Schools Sex, Love, and You: Making the Right Decision Character Quotations (Character Quotations Grades 3 - 8, Activities That Build Character and Community)

“All of us, young and old, need to be reminded that our attitude is something we choose. “Most people,” Abraham Lincoln said, “are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” 0 likes