Start by marking “Minutes to Burn” as Want to Read:
Minutes to Burn

Minutes to Burn

3.46  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The scientific charge of The Hot Zone and the epic thrill of Jurassic Park converge in Minutes to Burn--an exhilarating new eco-thriller about a team of scientists and Navy SEALs stranded on an island in the Galapagos and fighting to survive an evolutionary catastrophe.

The year is 2007. Through widening holes of ozone depletion, the tropical sun burns human skin to a crisp
Published August 1st 2002 by HarperTorch (first published July 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Minutes to Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minutes to Burn

Gerry Bartlett
May 30, 2016 Gerry Bartlett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
I picked this old book up at a used book store. Because I've been hooked on Hurwitz lately and couldn't find it anywhere else. His thrillers are so good I can't put them down. This one was pretty brutal and really into the ecological thing. I had to admit I skimmed some of the scientific stuff. But that's just me. Some people might enjoy those details. The earth is suffering from lots of seismic activity and the Galapagos Islands seem to be the center of the problem. Then a virus appears. We jum ...more
Brad
Jul 20, 2011 Brad rated it really liked it
This is more thriller than horror or sci-fi, but there were some elements that allowed me to tag the book thusly. This book reminded me of Fragment in a few ways (and Jurassic Park, though there are no dinosaurs here), and is an exciting survival read about man versus nature. It did feel a little long, but I liked it nonetheless.

The science was actually pretty good, and isn't really watered down or explained in depth (which is probably a good thing). But it's nice to know what the scientists wer
Andrea
Jan 07, 2011 Andrea rated it it was ok
Part Jurassic Park, part military, part science - not a bad read. Actually kind of cool how much of the biology/sci-speak I could understand - guess all those years of bio really did pay off. Picked this up just because it takes place on the Galapagos...but now I'm a bit freaked about going there....
Alex
Feb 12, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing
I like “Minutes to burn” by Gregg Andrew Hurwitz, because it made me think how people can change even if you are in the army. Like when the soldier stood up to the Lt. “ It feels weird to recon with Justin, now that the Lieutenant is out of the picture”. (Hurwitz Pg. 280) This quote explains how that Lieutenant is now no longer in charge of the group. I can infer that she took over because she did not like the orders, and had her own orders that she wanted to enforce. As a rule when people start ...more
Kerry Denney
Jun 16, 2014 Kerry Denney rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I've been a fan of Mr. Hurwitz ever since "Do No Harm" and "The Tower", and "Minutes to Burn" put him at the top of my must-read authors list. I love his Tim Rackley novels as well, especially "The Program", which was totally kick-ass. "Minutes to Burn" is an intense, emotionally evocative, and action-packed novel which easily pulled me into the characters' lives and adventures, and drew me into the story so well that the words disappeared, and I was totally "there" in all the ...more
Andy Plonka
Jun 01, 2016 Andy Plonka rated it liked it
More science fiction than mystery, this one takes a fair amount of willing suspension of disbelief, especially regarding the physical strength and fortitude of the main characters. Just how much abuse can the human body take and still function above the norm?
Roger Scherping
Apr 11, 2015 Roger Scherping rated it did not like it
Did not finish. The first chapter was intense, well written and engaging. Then it completely fell apart and rambled with no direction and seemingly no purpose.
Amy
Nov 17, 2015 Amy rated it did not like it
At minimum, a book needs to be decently written. This poor attempt at Crichton fails that mark.
Anthony Kufner
signed
Phil
Feb 06, 2016 Phil rated it did not like it
Did not read-sci fi
C
Dec 30, 2010 C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love reading about a coming apocalypse. I love reading about global warming. I love reading about the Galapagos. So this was the ideal Summer book for me to read while sitting outside in the baking sun overlooking a river that leads to the ocean. I also love praying mantis' but I'm not sure about giant ones that eat people. I think other than the giant praying mantis, the characters were believable.
Jp
Jul 03, 2008 Jp rated it liked it
Continuing to work my way though Gregg Andrew Hurwitz's catalog. Unlike Crime Writer, this is more of an action novel (like his previous book, Tower). You can see the author growing into his voice.

This was a fun ready, great adventure romp that I can see being made into a summer blockbuster.
Ricardo
Nov 05, 2013 Ricardo rated it it was ok
We all need a tasty snack that has no nutritional value whatsoever, just empty calories. This book would be the perfect literary example of that snack. Entertaining, lacking credibility but tolerable as long as you remember it's just fun, and full of clichés. However, not something you would want to have regularly
Deb Mj
Apr 01, 2010 Deb Mj rated it liked it
Very Crichton-like subject matter. I found it excessively violent with the majority of characters not holding my interest, but I still couldn't put it down. This is the second Hurwitz book I've read. I did like the other more, and I'll probably give him another chance.
D. Norman
Overly long. I felt the narrative drive, which was pretty good in most places, was constantly interrupted with unnecessary wandering. I came close to putting it down a couple of times. Now that I've finished I'm not sure why I continued. The science was interesting.
Patricia Wedertz
Feb 22, 2016 Patricia Wedertz rated it it was ok
I have loved all of the Gregg Hurwitz books I have read until this one. This felt so much like reading Michael Crichton!
Shelley
Sep 09, 2013 Shelley rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller
This is the fourth or fifth book of his i have read and the second one i did not think was brilliant. I found this book overly drawn-out and pretty ridiculous. By the time i finished it i was annoyed with myself for even reading it.
Jon Dean
Jul 04, 2016 Jon Dean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not plausible. Characters poorly developed
JC
May 13, 2012 JC rated it liked it
Pretty fast pace novel and I found the overall storyline pretty engaging (read synopsis). I did think the story was a little outrageous but this really is a bit science fiction in nature.
Bgrayyoung
Mar 05, 2013 Bgrayyoung rated it did not like it
This was Jurasic Park meets Alien meets Ten Little Indians (and then there were 9, then 8 etc). It was awful :(
LInda L
Mar 05, 2016 LInda L rated it it was amazing
SO scary that sometimes I was almost afraid to turn the page. WONDERFUL. So imaginative, so so EVERYTHING.
Tom Mueller
Dec 06, 2009 Tom Mueller rated it really liked it
See http://www.themysteryreader.com/hurwi... for an excellent review (*SPOILER alert*)
Phil Devereux
Jun 22, 2016 Phil Devereux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smart and surprisingly scientific while still remaining totally riveting.
Alexandra
Nov 21, 2011 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. I really hated a few parts but it was hard to put down.
Jim Vorheis
May 19, 2012 Jim Vorheis rated it liked it

Interesting but not near as good as Fragment by Fahy.
Sue Garner
Nov 24, 2010 Sue Garner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First book written by Greg that I didn't like. Boring
Jody
Feb 25, 2013 Jody rated it really liked it
Really good- oddly enough, a little sci-fi
Mainrun
Feb 22, 2010 Mainrun rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Not crazy about this one.
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Suspense
Graeme McGaw
Graeme McGaw marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
  • FAST: A Military Thriller (F.A.S.T. Series, #1)
  • Leviathan
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Southern Comfort
  • The Tide (The Tide Series, #1)
  • Devil's Sea (Atlantis, #3)
  • PripYat: The Beast Chernobyl
  • Bloodshot, Vol 3: Harbinger Wars
  • Nemesis (Arisen, #8.5)
  • Dead Team Alpha
  • We Stand On Guard #2
  • The Hunted: A Novel
  • Slaughterhouse (The Retreat #2)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Worm
  • Reflexive Fire
  • Empire of the Dead (Arisen, #8)
  • PRIMAL Inception
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the New York Times bestselling author of 15 thrillers, including the recently released ORPHAN X. His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been translated into 27 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine, Punisher) and DC (Batman, Peng
More about Gregg Hurwitz...