101 Things I Wish I Knew When I Got Married: Simple Lessons to Make Love Last

101 Things I Wish I Knew When I Got Married: Simple Lessons to Make Love Last

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  28 reviews
With the divorce rate spiking at a dizzying 60 percent, it’s safe to assume that young couples and experienced partners alike may lack the skills and understanding necessary to sustain a committed relationship. Psychotherapists Linda and Charlie Bloom present 101 techniques delivering practical guidance and make it clear that, regardless of past experience, anyone can deve
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Things I Wish I Knew When I Got Married, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Things I Wish I Knew When I Got Married

Daniel
This book isn't terrible or anything like that. I just don't think that it's worth the cover price, though potentially acceptable as a library option. Recently my fiance and I have been making our way through various marriage-life prep. books in order to appease the officiant of our wedding... and it couldn't hurt, right?

The basic format of this book is the list. Each chapter is between one and three pages long, outlining some general point that the authors are trying to apply to marriages acros...more
Lee
Leave this on the coffee table the first time you have your new girlfriend over. If she gags you know you have a keeper.

My first real girlfriend after divorce got this for me as a not so subtle, READ THIS gesture. At the time it was actually kind of good. I thumbed through it again the other day and got a good laugh at the pages that were doubled over.
Pierced Librarian
"Instead of expecting an outcome- ask yourself, "What's the experience I want to have?"

"Give up all expectations except for the ones you are willing to die for."

I found the book a bit bumperstick-y. Nothing profound, but good advice. If you would have given me this book when I was a young bride- I am not sure it would have helped. Only with time and experience are many of these lessons valuable. Some things just need to be stumbled through and learned from.
Ashley
I'm a sucker when it comes to self-help books on marriage. I figure even though it's not bad it doesn't hurt to get a little knowledge on how to make it better, right?

This book gave me alot of insight and different outlook on what marriage is. It's nice because the author has been married for quite some time and, to me, it almost seemed like a grandfather passing down his wisdom to his granddaughter.

It was nice to read this advice and experience from someone who's been through it all and still g...more
Sarah Elizabeth
A few cliche adages but most of them were very spot on. I like how they put the list in the beginning of the book and allows the reader to skim to the more detailed paragraphs for each item of interest.
Kristie J.
Easy-to-read advice book from a couple of therapists with a 30-year marriage. I liked the straight-forward advice without too much psychobabble. My favorite chapters were #37 "Your opinion is not the truth" which cautions couples against unsolicited criticism and judgements and #41 "Guilt-tripping won't get you what you really want" which advises you to keep your attention on yourself and ask more directly for the attention you want. Toward the end, I felt like they were struggling to make it to...more
Laurel
Interesting but not especially substantive. The book is designed to be read in short snippets, with each lesson fleshed out with a 2 or 3 page illustration and example. While some of the 101 things were new pieces of information or things I had not thought a lot about in the past, the vast majority seemed obvious -- it just didn't feel as though I was learning much. But maybe instead of criticizing the book for this fact I should just find it reassuring that I'm relatively well-prepared, accordi...more
Mia
The authors write about a page per entry and most of it's your average self/relationship-help stuff: Even the best marriages have irreconcilable differences, It's possible to hate and love someone at the same time, and my favorite, Even marriages have recurring seasons, and there can be some hard winters. hahahha

I always find stuff to learn but I especially find it helpful to revisit the basics now and again since they're an ever-expanding source of wisdom.
Cheryl'berna
Dec 22, 2007 Cheryl'berna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: close friends and family
Shelves: already-read
This books explains both positive and negative issues on what married couples face and shows how marriage is a balancing act that depends on both couples making a move to resolve or enchance their relationship and a stronger married life. This book will not give specific tips on what a couple needs to work on because every couple is different, but it will give couples different ways on approaching the problem and working on "how" rather than "why".
Angela
This wasn't an awful book and I am sure it can be helpful for many couples...but I didn't learn anything. Therefore, I didn't like it because I didn't get anything out of it. I wouldn't recommend buying it, as you can read the 101 things on the content page, unless you want to read the little stories that go with them.
Crisanto J. Jorda
Sep 17, 2013 Crisanto J. Jorda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: overthinkers, newly engaged, old people
I don't know why I bought this book. I'm not even married. I'm not even in a relationship.

That said, I'll probably gift it to my future wife when I propose to her and say "Hey, let's not )(#*% this up, okay? I love you sweetheart."

Do you think this'll work? No? Oh, okay. Neither did I.
Sylvia
Ehh.. I think this one's more like 1.5 stars, but really, I did not like it, though I don't dislike it, if that makes any sense.
I don't think any of these little tips are all that enlightening, though the funniest one: "If you think marriage counselling is too expensive, try divorce"
Ahmad Algoz
You could gain deeper understanding of personalities and the life of sharing. He is tackling many religions at once talking from an anthropologist point of view.

If you are planning for successful marge, add this book to your list.
Kate Zachary
Sep 10, 2008 Kate Zachary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Engaged couples, Married couples
Recommended to Kate by: Kate Sollmann
Buck and I read this book during the year leading up to our wedding. We read 1-2 entries a night and then talked about them. The names used were pretty cheezy, but the lessons were helpful and sparked good conversation.
Lauren
This book isn't bad, but there's not too much substance. I would recommend checking it out from your library, but I wouldn't buy it. The chapter headings are perhaps the best part -- the writing isn't that profound.
I probably will refer to this book for the rest of my life. It has a lot of great lessons to strive for, and I will do my best.
Holly
Very nice advise. Anyone in a relationship should at least glance through and read a section. Quick read and simply worded.
Jenn
Most of this stuff is really obvious, but it's a good reminder of the challenges I know we'll face once we're married.
Amy
Nothing blew me away but they were good things to keep in mind & the short stories were good examples.
Sabah
Quick, practical articles of proactive advice for marriage, though sometimes a little trite.
Jo
i got this book from the library. i decided i should buy it and have it on hand for reference.
Dena Rosko
Encouraging vignettes relevant to married life; makes a fantastic bridal/groom or engagement gift.
Marie
Jul 01, 2008 Marie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who need it
Recommended to Marie by: Kendra
Shelves: help
Common Sense information. Good to hear but pretty standard advice.
Brittany
It's a little cheesy, but filled with good insights into a marriage.
Dan
It may seem like common sense...nut everyone needs a reminder!
Kate
A bit cheese. A bit psychotherapy. Does the job.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
good advice but got boring really fast to me
Naveen
Naveen marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Dena
Dena marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Secrets of Great Marriages: Real Truth from Real Couples about Lasting Love 101 Things I Wish I Knew When I Got Married: Simple Lessons to Make Love Last