Blank-133x176
North of Boston

Robert Frost

North of Boston

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  26 reviews
He moves in darkness as it seems to me, Not of woods only and the shade of trees. He will not go behind his father's saying, And he likes having thought of it so well He says again, "Good fences make good neighbours."
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1914)

Rob
I don't know what it was exactly about North of Boston that made it better than Frost's first book, A Boy's Will. Perhaps it's more human than the previous collection. That may be the wrong way to put it, but North of Boston captures something about the human spirit that was missing from A Boy's Will. Most of the poems in this latter collection are lengthy, narrative pieces with dialogue, which may begin to explain the difference. Perhaps by creating characters (which are admittedly flat, and no...more
Kevin
There's quite a change from Frost's first collection, A Boy's Will, with its sonnets and lyrical pieces and abundance of rhyme to this collection of mostly longish blank verse work. These poems are what I think of when I think of Frost rather than his shorter, rhymed poems: the sparse narration, long paragraphs of dialogue, and the way a scene, an instance, an occurrence is sketched out without the assistance of bare exposition, rather like a sort of puzzle to be worked out, very realistic in th...more
Kirsten Kinnell
I haven't read Frost since high school. I'm blown away with everything I hadn't noticed before. Loved every second of it.
Janet
I like Frost but haven't read him in years. As always, love his rhymes and rhythms. But this time struck by how his poems reminded me of other writers.

This passage from "Black Cottage":

For, dear me, why abandon a belief
Merely because it ceases to be true.
Cling to it long enough, and not a doubt
It will turn true again, for so it goes.

made me think of Kurt Vonnegut.

When reading lines such as the ones below from "Blueberries" I'll be darned if I don't hear Dr Seuss:

He has brought them all up on...more
Steven
With North of Boston, Frost begins in earnest his foray into the poetics of local narrative. As an experiment in the meter of common speech, I find it interesting, but none of the poems are really moving, as in his other books. "Home Burial" is probably the most powerful and least reliant on gothic tragedy to round out its story. Of course, "Mending Wall" is the poem we know and love--but not so much for the sound of it, I mean the kind of richly crafted music you come to expect of Frost in late...more
Rozzer
Almost without exception (thinking, thinking - no, entirely without exception), those books, poems and plays taught to me at some point in K-12 produced, like vaccines, almost life-long resistance to the works involved. Luckily, my long life since then has been long enough to permit me, in some cases, to outgrow that vicious old repulsion to at least some of those items. (Sorry, Hamlet!) And the poems of North of Boston are most definitely included.

There are those who take exception to Frost's...more
Leslie
I am not a big fan of Frost's longer poems, which feel to me like poetic short stories, and they are the majority of this collection. It does include "Mending Wall", which I like a lot, and I also liked "The Good Hour" which was new to me.
Farah
fr. "Mending Wall":
"I could say 'Elves' to him,
But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
he said it for himself."

fr. "The Death of the Hired Man":
"Part of a moon was falling down the west,
Dragging the whole sky with it to the hills.
Its light poured softly in her lap. She saw it
And spread her apron to it. She put out her hand
Among the harp-like morning-glory strings,
Taut with the dew from garden bed to eaves,
As if she played unheard some tenderness
That wrought on him beside her in the night."

fr....more
Gabriel Renzi
Overall, a well written collection of short dialogues in this one by Frost. "Good fences make good neighbors." More monologues than poems in this one by Frost. An easy read.
Brad
For some reason, Frost and Hemingway are inextricably linked in my mind. It's almost as if I think Frost is a pseudonym that Hemingway uses when he writes poetry. Unfortunately, this is a bad linkage my mind is making; sure, both guys love the outdoors, but Frost isn't half the insecure asshole Hemingway is. And he doesn't seem quite so enamored with killing things.

On the other hand, both of them are at their best writing simple, everyday vignettes that seem to gesture towards something greater.
Craig Werner
Frost's second volume of poetry, North of Boston is the one where he finds his voice. The forced rhythms and rhymes of A Boy's Will are a thing of the past and the dark meditations that define his best work are present both in short lyrics like Mending Wall and in longer narrative poems like The Fear. Not all of the long pieces work equally well, but if you're conducting a non-obsessive tour of Frost's universe, this is the place to start.
Bob
The poems in this book are almost all dialogs, like this one I liked from The Generations of Men ...

"Where shall we meet again?"
"Nowhere but here
Once more before we meet elsewhere."
"In rain?"
"It ought to be in rain. Sometime in rain.
In rain to-morrow, shall we, if it rains?
But if we must, in sunshine." So she went.

The latter, literally, not as in today's "I went" (meaning "I said")

A good book of poems. I enjoyed them.
Matt Miles
This collection of Frost tosses some of his familiar works in with lesser known ones that are interesting and thought-provoking, but not as resonant as his more familiar works. Still, even the weakest of these are worth a read.
Heide
My Aunt Helen gave me a volume of Frost's poetry when I was a kid, and I loved it and read and re-read his work as a teenager and college student, but then read Paradise Lost and found Frost's verse lightweight in comparison, and haven't looked at his work in probably 20 years. I'm now loving reading it again.
Denae
I know, I know...it's Robert Frost, beloved American poet. I just can't do it though. There are a few poems in here I enjoyed, specifically "The Self-Seeker" but most of it felt like a slog. I think I have read too many poets I loved for this to really appeal.
Joyce Oliver stahle
Excellent!
Robert Frost must have experienced first hand a lot of what he wrote about. It brought tears while reading several of the poems.
He has a great way of painting a picture. When I was reading "Apple Pickin' " I could actually visualize it.
Brian
So much better than his first book. It's like it was written by a completely different person. North of Boston really showcases Frost's storytelling ability within his poetry.
Edmund Davis-Quinn
So far it seems like Robert Frost is one of many poets I want to like more than I do. So it goes. Readable but didn't grab me.
Heather
Actually reading ebook version from Project Gutenberg but couldn't find that one listed...
Ruth
While a simply adore Frost's shorter lyrics, his longer/narrative poems don't do much for me.
Mark Nenadov
One of Frost's earlier collections. Quite short. Can't say I'm a big fan this one.
Corey
touching stories. Love the clipped New England dialogue. Great imagery.
Bryan Summers
The poems Black Cottage and Mending Wall deserve five stars.
Susan Alvarado
Never know what it is about Frost, but I just love his work. :)
Tweller83
From 25 books that shaped America list.
Kimberly
lovely, as always.
kathryn kirchner
kathryn kirchner marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Ephraim Chaney
Ephraim Chaney marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
  • Chamber Music
  • The Awful Rowing Toward God
  • The Rag and Bone Shop of the Heart: A Poetry Anthology
  • Neon Vernacular: New and Selected Poems
Flinty, moody, plainspoken and deep, Robert Frost was one of America's most popular 20th-century poets. Frost was farming in Derry, New Hampshire when, at the age of 38, he sold the farm, uprooted his family and moved to England, where he devoted himself to his poetry. His first two books of verse, A Boy's Will (1913) and North of Boston (1914), were immediate successes. In 1915 he returned to the...more
More about Robert Frost...
The Poetry of Robert Frost (Collected Poems, Complete & Unabridged) The Road Not Taken and Other Poems Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening Collected Poems, Prose, and Plays Selected Poems

“Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.” 94 likes
“Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offense.”
14 likes