Start by marking “Tea & Bee's Milk: Our Year in a Turkish Village” as Want to Read:
Tea & Bee's Milk: Our Year in a Turkish Village

Tea & Bee's Milk: Our Year in a Turkish Village

If you've ever dreamed of ditching the rat race and taking a year off, you'll find inspiration in this charming and humorous book about a couple who quit their jobs, sell their house and car, and take off to spend a year in a Turkish village. This book is for anyone who's curious about the world and believes life is to be lived, not watched. After reading this you'll just ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Artha Press (first published May 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tea & Bee's Milk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea & Bee's Milk

Lilisa
I thoroughly enjoyed this memoir by the author and her husband regaling us with their experience living for a year in a Turkish village on the Mediterranean coast. I loved how they embraced life in the village of Gocek and rooted themselves in all things local – no American airs, no snootiness about inconveniences and no moaning about any lack thereof. Rather, their respect for Turkish culture and norms, way of life – the blend of traditional and modern, religion and secularism, simplicity and ...more
Diane
Jun 18, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
I bought this book to learn a little more about Turkey and its people as an alternative to reading a geography book (yuk). It's about a couple (journalists) who decide to sell their home, car, and other material possessions (except computer for emailing family and friends) and quit their jobs when offered a rental of only $125 a month in a tiny village (Gocek) on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey for one year. In their book based on these emails they talk about the warmth of the people, the ...more
ValarieA
Mar 03, 2016 ValarieA rated it really liked it
Karen and Ray’s voices shine throughout this insightful and informative narrative about their year in Turkey, a country often in the black hole of American understanding. By honestly portraying their daily experiences they bring the people to life; extolling their honesty, friendliness and helpfulness. This book is a refreshing, inspirational and inspiring read for anyone dreaming of escaping the ordinary. It’s also fun!
Dan
Sep 10, 2009 Dan rated it liked it
This self-published book starts slowly -- it reads a bit too much like collected emails home -- but it grew on me as Karen Gilden (who wrote most of the entries) gets to know her neighbors and her neighborhood. The Gildens take some interesting excursions, Ray describes the Turks' uncanny ability to waste nothing while reusing everything, and Karen captures the neither-here-nor-there feeling of living abroad for an extended but limited time.
Alina
Oct 27, 2009 Alina rated it liked it
Fun to read, made me miss Turkey. Made me terrify Josh by musing over how easy it would be to move as Karen and Ray did. (That would be, oh, only our 5th move in 2 years, after all!)

The only strange thing was that, although most of the book was direct observation, there was a good chunk of opinion inserted. Okay, that's clearly not the strange part. The strange part is that the authors wrote their opinions, thoughts, and ideas as if they were objective observations. Not so, my friends.
Andrea
Jan 27, 2014 Andrea rated it liked it
I always like books about people who are courageous enough to pick up and relocate. This one was interesting because it was about an older couple. It started off great but slowed down about half way through.
Amy
Aug 12, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read in prep for a Turkey visit. Their cross-cultural learning experiences were entertaining and paralleled our own of SE Asia. I read their accounts about spending days "not at work" and already started missing our lifestyle now!
Cheryl Schibley
Jun 28, 2010 Cheryl Schibley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: travelers/adverturers
Really great reading. This couple spent a year in Turkey and have written an insightful, intelligent and very humorous book about their adventure. I hope I can go there someday. Turkey sounds complicated and wonderful. I country full of loving people, according to the authors.

Christine Skebo
Apr 08, 2015 Christine Skebo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turner

Great read. Loved the visits to Greek isles to renew visas. Caught the essence of people and ambience of life styles.
Denise
May 24, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
This is a book that my mom's friends wrote while they spent a year in Turkey. It's a slow read, but their adventures and all of the historical information is very interesting.
Jeannie Mancini
Jeannie Mancini rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2010
Helen
Aug 20, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great reading as we were in the area, very informative
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Judy Paleologos
Judy Paleologos rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Shabeeha
Shabeeha rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Joelle
Joelle rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Joann
Joann rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Nancy Walker
Nancy Walker rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Janet Langille
Janet Langille rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Stacy Benton
Stacy Benton rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Charleen
Charleen rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Tye
Tye rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Jenny Sarı
Jan 04, 2014 Jenny Sarı rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
great book felt i do when im on my holidays
Sody
Sody rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Richard Thomson
Richard Thomson rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Kathleen Taylor
Kathleen Taylor rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Debbie Wong
Debbie Wong rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Whitney
Whitney rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2015