Start by marking “A Season in Hell” as Want to Read:
A Season in Hell

A Season in Hell

From the author of "The Women's Room" and "My Summer With George" comes a compelling memoir of her victory over esophageal cancer, and her virtual return from the dead.
Published May 2nd 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Season in Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season in Hell

Edith
Sep 18, 2008 Edith rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Author of "The Women's Room" writes about her ordeal with esophageal cancer at age 61. I read The Women's Room way back in the 70's and recall it as an interesting book, although I couldn't tell you anything about the storyline now. Guess I should do a reread one of these days! It's that memory thing...but then, good books can stand to be reread and twice-enjoyed.
Ora Cummings
If I ever need anything to convince me not to opt for conventional cancer treatment, it's this book.
Anne
Jul 13, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marilyn French is a proper writer, by this I mean her grammar, vocabulary and style are vastly superior to many books I have read recently. From that point only, it is worth 5 stars. Marilyn French is also a very opiniated woman, and faced with a very painful cancer and cancer treatment, and certain death at some point, she certainly does not hold back. For some reasons, not on purpose, I have read 3 consecutive books on cancer, the first one was "cancer patients have a wicked sense of humor", t ...more
Traceylee
Why

I would recommend this book to people who have had a hard time through recovery from cancer. This woman had several other trouble through the cancer
Kolumbina
Nov 02, 2014 Kolumbina rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. This book has everything. Marilyn French at her best. I adore Marilyn French's style of writing. she is a complete person. Loved it. Would give 10 stars if possible
Kiessa
Jul 20, 2011 Kiessa rated it did not like it
Shelves: biography-memoir
I read this book because I am a fan of French's thought-provoking fiction. I went in knowing that she can sometimes err on the side of black-and-white thinking, and can even come across as whiny. For this book, written about her battle with cancer, her pen poured cynicism, judgment, and misery onto every page. Warranted or not, there was little to connect with here. Dreary indeed.
cat news
Mar 17, 2011 cat news rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth
Jan 31, 2012 Ruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
French's tale of surviving esophagus cancer, the side affects, the after affects and the medical profession. Tough read. But glad it's out there for any who might want to know what they might face when dealing with cancer and the people involved.
Tracy
Was not that impressed by this book and found it hard work.
Birthe Vikøren
Birthe Vikøren marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Carina Nicklasson
Carina Nicklasson rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Fainche Coffey
Fainche Coffey marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Vivienne Sornson
Vivienne Sornson rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Lais Flores
Lais Flores marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Peggy Dyer
Peggy Dyer marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Karen M. Wilbur
Karen M. Wilbur rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Johanna Hellström
Johanna Hellström rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Petra Hallberg
Petra Hallberg marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2015
Sandra Pousson
Sandra Pousson rated it did not like it
Sep 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
She attended Hofstra University (then Hofstra College) where she also received a master's degree in English in 1964. She married Robert M. French Jr. in 1950; the couple divorced in 1967. She later attended Harvard University, earning a Ph.D in 1972. Years later she became an instructor at Hofstra University.

In her work, French asserted that women's oppression is an intrinsic part of the male-domi
More about Marilyn French...