Start by marking “A Breach in the Watershed (Watershed Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Breach in the Watershed (Watershed Trilogy, #1)

A Breach in the Watershed (Watershed #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Book One of the Watershed Trilogy.

For centuries, the pristine lands of the Watershed were at peace. But now only a handful of heroes remains to fight against a dark god who has one all-consuming thirst-the destruction of the Watershed.
Published July 1st 1996 by Ace (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Breach in the Watershed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Breach in the Watershed

Zackery Arbela
The mid to late '90's wre something of a golden age for Dungeons and Dragons derived fantasy. Foremost among these, of course, were the various novels and short story collections put out by TSR (bask when it was still a going concern an d not just another sub-division of a subsidiary of a giant conglomerate) But the influence of the game extended far beyond into the fantasy genre directly. A new generation of readers and writers whose primary contact to fantasy fiction came as much from Saturday ...more
Makoto
Epic. The first book to a trilogy that immerses you in the world of three realms - human, faerie, and demons. These realms are separated by watersheds; however, now there is a sinister plan afoot to crack the watershed and those begin the realm wars.

I read this trilogy starting in the 90's and it was so good I even brought the entire set. My only lament is that the second and third book is not in ebook form yet.

This book has everything - suspense, a regular joe smo hero you can like and many ot
September Grace
Adventure, magic and a dash of romance fill A Breach in the Watershed from start to finish. The Watershed divides the three regions of the world: Faerine - the region of magic and the water of Aura; Dalethica - the region of man and regular, non-magical water; and Duloth-Trol - the region of the evil Sleepstealer, his Lord Minions, and their life-force of Darkblood. If the Watershed were ever to be breached, disaster would ensue, a disaster that is the very plan of the Sleepstealer. Rudy Appenfe ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I read these books as a teen and was enthralled by the quick pacing and epic scale of the trilogy. Since then, I've realized that it's a Tolkien knockoff--with many more women and girls and without the all-important quest to destroy an evil object, but otherwise a lot of similarities. Still, these are fun books: the main characters are likable and they're not all the same old stereotypes (the hero's young niece plays a major role, for instance... and speaking of the hero, it's nice to read a fan ...more
Susan Henn
12/13 Douglas Niles is a great storyteller. This first volume of his Watershed trilogy is full of adventure and all the elements of good fantasy - prophecy, magic, jealousy, vengeance, a motley crew of unlikely characters who fight evil against overwhelming odds, and of course a bit of romance. The author's the inspiration for this book came from his trip to the Alps. Seeing the way the watershed separated in the Alps gave him the idea of a watershed that sent three types of water to very differ ...more
Mirriam Neal
well....this was disappointing. It wasn't necessarily badly written, but the cover promised it had all the 'action, humor and romance' of a Dragonlance novel, which wasn't true. Sorry, Douglas.
Katherine
Wow. I don't know why, but this book odor SO hard crore to get through. I almost gave up several times. Evan though the story had all key features I like in a fantasy book, I just couldn't get into it and stay.
I am going to get the second book, simply because I hate starting a trilogy and not finishing.
Anne
Douglas Niles is a gifted story teller. The land of three waters is a believable place, and you are instantly swept up as he weaves this tale.

Rudgar Appenfell is an "Iceman" - he and his brothers live high in the mountains and make a living by taking noblemen up into the heights. A young prince of Galtigor comes, and Rudy is cast down a path from which he cannot turn away. Loss, adventure, sacrifice and friendship will follow him as he meets his destiny.

If you enjoy fantasy, you'll want to read
Jonathan P.
Sep 29, 2008 Jonathan P. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like fantasy
This was a very good book. I have alway liked fantasy books and this book has done a great job creating a world. I like all the different aspects the author has put in the book. I also enjoy how the author added in the history at varying points so that you could get the context and better understand what is happening.

The enviroment and characters that the author made were very, very good. I also like the wonderful nonhuman creatures/people that he includes in this book and the individual persona
Rachel Kelley
One important comment here as far recommendations go: if you intend to read these books than you have to open yourself to a bit of high fantasy. I enjoyed it (reading it sometime in early high school) but I was also very open to the genre. The key here is to know what you are getting into. That being said Douglas Niles had some very clear and elegant prose and these books were something I appreciated.
Stephanie
While I'm waiting for some books to come in to the library, I picked up this book from 10+ years ago. I vaguely remember the story, other than I liked it. Niles comes from the (better part of the) Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms fantasy pulp fiction and therefore is an easy, quick and quite harmless read.
Otto 8-3
Sep 10, 2007 Otto 8-3 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lighthearted Fantasy Lovers
This is a great, fun and light hearted read, as well as a very good fantasy novel to its own right. With memorable characters and a dramatic plot, you can never put this series down.
Joe
A nice, easy read with adventure aplenty. The characters are likable and the world is interesting.
Oy Geeringh
Love this book and can't wait for the 2nd series: in the same line as Lord of the Ring.
Tiffany Grayless
My friend and an ex bought me the first two for Cheistmas years ago, great series!
Jess
I found this to be one of the most original fantasy books I've come across in a while.
Brandon
Fun story and the author does a good job putting together a interesting world.
Wafiyah
Beginning was dull. Ending was difficult. End of.
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Keitorin
Keitorin marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Peter Thompson
Peter Thompson marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Seth Dearing
Seth Dearing marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
  • The Ring (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice, #2)
  • The Doom Brigade (Dragonlance: Kang's Regiment, #1)
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm
  • Caverns of Socrates
  • The Dawning of a New Age (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #1)
  • The Outlanders (Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #2)
  • The Dragon's Touchstone
  • The Black Queen (Black Throne, #1; The Fey, #6)
  • The Black Wing (Dragonlance: Villains, #2)
  • Evermeet: Island of the Elves
  • Draconian Measures (Dragonlance: Kang's Regiment, #2)
  • The Barbed Coil
  • The Rose and the Skull (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #4)
  • The Ogre's Pact (Forgotten Realms: Twilight Giants, #1)
Douglas Niles is a fantasy author and game designer. Niles was one of the creators of the Dragonlance world and the author of the first three Forgotten Realms novels, and the Top Secret S/I espionage role-playing game. He currently resides in Delavan, Wisconsin with his wife, Christine, and two Bouviets, Reggie and Stella. He enjoys playing his guitar, cooking, and visiting with family.

More about Douglas Niles...

Watershed (3 books)
  • Darkenheight: The Watershed Trilogy 2
  • War of Three Waters: The Watershed Trilogy 3
The Kinslayer Wars (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #2) The Kagonesti (Dragonlance: Lost Histories, #1) Darkwalker on Moonshae (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #1) Darkwell (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #3) The Dragons (Dragonlance: Lost Histories, #6)