Start by marking “Her Mother's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Her Mother's Daughter

Her Mother's Daughter

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  448 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A rich and compelling story about four generations of magnificent women, celebrating the love, pride, sacrifice, devotion, and unheralded triumph of all women's lives.
Published September 1st 1996 by Ballantine Books (Mm) (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Her Mother's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Mother's Daughter

Ruth
Mar 17, 2009 Ruth added it
French works hard to present honest portrayals of how hard woman did and do work to make family work. Impressive, if a bit oppressive, at this point.

My what a heavy read - literarlly (686 pages) and literally (not much plot, lots (perhaps too much) emotion. All the characters at one time or another, and some all the time, were overwhelmed with melancholy, a sense of hopelessness and just plain inconsolable. I think the point of the book was to figure out why and French did that but goodness what
M
If you read 300/600 pages, can you say you 'read' it?
THis book was SO FLIPPING LONG. Here's the thing with Marilyn French. Because of the longevity of her works, it begins to feel like the tenth season of a TV show you've been following. So you're drawn in and curious to see what happens, but you are also hit with a ton of details that really stop being interesting pretty soon. This traces mother daughter relationships with narratives that are often confusing as to who is speaking, and showing h
Lee
There were several occasions where I almost gave up on this book, just put it aside and say I gave it a shot, but I stuck it out to the end, 726 pages! Every time I was ready to quit, there would be some extremely real moment between a mother and daughter or harsh truth about the nature of relationships and generations that would suck me back in. Now that I've finished it I can't say I'm sorry I did, but it if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't.

Overall, it was of a depressing nature regarding
Ann
I am reading this book now and 3/4 thru it. While it is slow to get going, I really got into the 4 generations of this family of mothers and daughters and how the narration moves back and forth between them, both talking about their lives from their perspectives and then from their daughters perspectives. It is a bit scary being a mother and thinking about how one becomes one's mother often in various ways even as one has resisted this all one's life! It is a bit too long and some of the details ...more
Umi
Ini dia buka Marlyin French yang super. Dia menuliskan betapa hubungan ibu dan anak perempuannya secara indah, penuh dengan cinta dan pertentangan. Dinarasikan dari seorang perempuan photografer profesional menjelang setengah baya. Karya-karya novel Marilyn French banyak yang ditulis dari pengalamannya sebagai perempuan matang...great.
Jess Sweetman
Stephanie
Her Mother's Daughter is a 1987 novel from Marilyn French, the author of the acclaimed Women's Room, a book that had a great influence on me when I was growing up, and which I recently reread.

At first, Her Mother's Daughter appears primarily to be a work of historical fiction, as it recounts the life stories and miseries of the narrator Anastasia's immediate ancestors, particularly her grandmother Frances and mother Isabella. Much of this part held the same fascination for me as A Tree Grows in
deLille
If Marilyn French sees herself reflected in the main character of this book, then she has used feminism as a justification for her self-centeredness. What a shame.
Mary
I don't recall the content but I remember loving this book, and Marilyn French, when I was young. This is one I should reread.
K
Feb 27, 2007 K rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy books about mothers and daughters, and their legacies
Explores the way daughters often work to avoid their mothers' mistakes but end up making their own.
Stephanie Holcomb
I got to page 300 of this 700 page book before I just couldn't stand it anymore. It jumped around too much -- following 4 women, back in time, current time, forward in time...which I normally can follow and understand why writers do it, but French couldn't decide on whether to write in third person or first -- and never the same character! On page 299, when she described Anastasia by her name (third person) and then the next paragraph was talking AS her, that was enough. Awful.

I feel like I got
Gypsy Lady
Marilyn French
Her Mother’s Daughter
761 Pages

Page 38
Why did she leave?

For it must have been a terrifying journey for a girl of thirteen who had never even been to Krakow ---- all the way to Bremen along; buying her passage with the money Aunt Sophie had sent her from America; traveling steerage in the immigrant ship, locked in the bottommost deck with hundreds of others, some sick, babies crying, no privacy. And then the horror of Ellis Island, being treated like some subhuman creature by self-sa
Justin Caise
Long, tedious man-bashing, mother hate/love ing narcissistic trash. Sloppy writing, mixed time sequences i.e., Grant story - started screwing in '65, but after separation reunite in '64. Jumps in and out of characters' minds making it difficult to know who is telling the story when. Total feminist over-the-top self-pity from a man-hater who screws every guy she comes near when away from the hubby and kids. Chick-lit fantasy story, not worth the paper or electrons.
Ann
Painful. Painful. Painful. I had a very hard time finishing this book; yet,I was driven to finish it. Will the cycle ever be broken? Mother's who love their children and can not express it in a way that the children recognize it, receive it and respond to it. Father's who don't express love to their children. Divored fathers who don't support their children. Husbands who see woman only as extensions of themselves. Four generations of woman are interwoven in a story that replicates itself with ea ...more
Mae
I found this book to be frustrating and tedious at times yet I also felt I gained understanding of myself, my mother, my sister and perhaps women in general....it was written in the late 80s and that is reflected, but many observations continue to be valid. I came away thankful for the love and acceptance I was given by my mother througout my life and also grateful to some degree that I did not have female children - although that relationship can also provide some of the greatest joys - if mana ...more
1momentplz
One of my top 10.
Ruth
Unfortunately, my notes are thin and long ago: Similar to her others but very good anyway. Has holding power.
Joy
Long and thought provoking
Kat
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had really high hopes or this book. The premise sounded really interesting. The execution of it was not. The was so much backstory that I had a had time weaving through it to get anywhere good. Probably one of the hardest books I've had to get through in a long time.
Lorma
Read this when I was young, but might reread it now that I have 2 daughters of my own. The story follows 4 generations of women in one family and shows how we often say we will not make the same mistakes our mother did only to do so. Great read.
Gerri
This book was a huge disappointment , it promised so much but failed to deliver. The words and actions of the characters were contrived and predicable. This book is chick lit trying to be adult but fails miserably.
Deidre
I just visited the tenement museum in NYC and it reminded me of this book, which I read 12 years ago. It told the story of 4 generations of women in the same family. I should have given it 5 stars.
Keri
I enjoyed this book, but since French's other book, the Women's Room, is one of my favorites, I felt it didnt' measure up to my expectations. I'm just being picky, though. It's a good read.
Sue K.
Although very lengthy, I felt this was a terrific book, probably because I am very interested in mother/daughter relationships.
Mom Coulongue
Excellent for learning about the generation gaps in our daily lives.
Want it Val?
Jenny
Excellent book. It is one I would read again.
Judy
Good book on relationships.
Chris Lydon
An all time favourite.
Marjo Loyens
This book changed my life.
  • The Hearts and Lives of Men
  • Inventing Memory: A Novel of Mothers and Daughters
  • Shadow Play (Helen West, #4)
  • The Dark-Eyed Girls
  • Together: The Rituals, Pleasures and Politics of Cooperation
  • Tell Me No Secrets
  • Swann
  • Beachcombing for a Shipwrecked God
  • What Lips My Lips Have Kissed: The Loves and Love Poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay
  • Secrets Never Told
  • The Legacy of Beulah Land (Beulah Land, #3)
  • Someone Not Really Her Mother: A Novel
  • Diary of a Mad Housewife
She attended Hofstra University (then Hofstra College) where she also received a master's degree in English in 1964. She married Robert M. French Jr. in 1950; the couple divorced in 1967. She later attended Harvard University, earning a Ph.D in 1972.[1] Years later she became an instructor at Hofstra University.

In her work, French asserted that women's oppression is an intrinsic part of the male-d
More about Marilyn French...
The Women's Room  The Bleeding Heart The War Against Women Our Father My Summer With George

“Desire consumes you, it takes you over. You forget yourself completely. All you can think about is the other, the one you desire, your self is just a fire.” 24 likes
“It's strange how men feel they have the right to criticize a woman's appearance to her face.” 22 likes